Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - Not too scientific but noticed something the other day after reloading my tires with Stans - they turn slower/less than before using Stans. Anyone else notice this or just a figment of my imagination?

I noticed that with my bike up on my maintenance stand, grabbing the wheel/tire and giving it a spin it noticeably fewer revolutions that without Stans.Hard to really quantify it but noticed the wheels do sem to spin less.

It kind of makes a little sense if you have a bit of fluid sloshing around inside the tires it could add some drag.

I know it can't be because I am getting older and slower ... :winker:

·
Registered
826 Posts
It makes sense. If you spin the wheel slowly the fluid is running against the direction of the spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yeah, I've wondered the same thing. At a certain speed the stans fluid seems to just hold to the tire in a big mass (because it can't roll fast enough to keep up) and then cause a pulsating effect on the wheel. I feel this on the workstand but not on the trail.

Maybe this is one of the reasons why I use less fluid than they recommend per tire. Or it could be just that I'm cheap. Or that I haven't had any problems like this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts