Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not literally! Just needed a good title...

So, it's becoming more broadly discussed, but a year or so ago, I started to notice Stans treated tires, weeping copious amounts of clear fluid through the side walls.

Wrote it off initially.

When it caused my $100+ two year old Schwalbe Ice Spikers to start sloughing off the casing rubber, and warping the casing, I became more concerned, and own two useless studded tires, boooooo.

I contacted them, and was told, after providing my evidence, that "we've heard of it with Schwalbe's". So, what of the Contis, Surlys, 45Nrth, Specialized, etc, that are doing similar things?

"Nope, never heard of it".

I call BS.

This, from a company whose rims I sell and build, religiously, and whose sealant I have sold and used for many years, without incident.

They deny the formula has changed. But now they offer a Race formula, which is more expensive, and has aggregate in it, just as Stans always had. They claim it's bigger though, to seal better.

After watching someone inject 2 oz of Stans through the tiny needle hole opening in their bottle nipple, without any effort or clogging, on a ride last night, I found myself thinking, that'd never have happened, were there any aggregate in it.

So while I have no info, it would appear "Stans" is new, and the Race is now the original (only it costs more).

I'd call and ask, but I'd get stonewalled again I'm sure.

The new stuff is different, sure as the sun comes up in the east.

Now there's reports that using CO2 with Stans in, will separate it, and make the latex coagulate on the interior, and push the liquid carrier, out of the casing. Odd, only because I fill tires with a compressor (not CO2) and get the same effect. I've used CO2 for years with "old Stans" and never had an issue.

If it was for any valid reason, greener formula, better sealing, something, wouldn't they be proud and say so?

Were I an conspiracy lover, I'd say the new stuff is designed to go away faster, thus boosting sales.

Okay, so I'm not, but I'm thinking that anyway!

Just trying to get some additional POV's, experiences, input, etc, because I'm ready to switch from a product I've used forever, because it now sucks, and the company is playing head games instead of being honest.

Have at it!

·
Registered
9,284 Posts
"weeping copious amounts of clear fluid through the side walls."

I had this issue last season. I attributed it to the soapy water I used to bead the tire leaching out. Problem was it was occurring after miles of use. I have since gone to Orange seal. I changed a new tire initially (didn't like the tread pattern) and noticed how the OS was really dried & gummy compared to the Stans.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Not literally! Just needed a good title...

So, it's becoming more broadly discussed, but a year or so ago, I started to notice Stans treated tires, weeping copious amounts of clear fluid through the side walls.

Wrote it off initially.

When it caused my $100+ two year old Schwalbe Ice Spikers to start sloughing off the casing rubber, and warping the casing, I became more concerned, and own two useless studded tires, boooooo.

I contacted them, and was told, after providing my evidence, that "we've heard of it with Schwalbe's". So, what of the Contis, Surlys, 45Nrth, Specialized, etc, that are doing similar things?

"Nope, never heard of it".

I call BS.

This, from a company whose rims I sell and build, religiously, and whose sealant I have sold and used for many years, without incident.

They deny the formula has changed. But now they offer a Race formula, which is more expensive, and has aggregate in it, just as Stans always had. They claim it's bigger though, to seal better.

After watching someone inject 2 oz of Stans through the tiny needle hole opening in their bottle nipple, without any effort or clogging, on a ride last night, I found myself thinking, that'd never have happened, were there any aggregate in it.

So while I have no info, it would appear "Stans" is new, and the Race is now the original (only it costs more).

I'd call and ask, but I'd get stonewalled again I'm sure.

The new stuff is different, sure as the sun comes up in the east.

Now there's reports that using CO2 with Stans in, will separate it, and make the latex coagulate on the interior, and push the liquid carrier, out of the casing. Odd, only because I fill tires with a compressor (not CO2) and get the same effect. I've used CO2 for years with "old Stans" and never had an issue.

If it was for any valid reason, greener formula, better sealing, something, wouldn't they be proud and say so?

Were I an conspiracy lover, I'd say the new stuff is designed to go away faster, thus boosting sales.

Okay, so I'm not, but I'm thinking that anyway!

Just trying to get some additional POV's, experiences, input, etc, because I'm ready to switch from a product I've used forever, because it now sucks, and the company is playing head games instead of being honest.

Have at it!
Maybe you need to adjust your tinfoil hat :) JK

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
If by headache you mean erection, then maybe you should stop drinking Stans...or at least wait 4 hours for the de-erection before calling a Dr.

·
Registered
2017 Transition Smuggler XL
944 Posts
I noticed same thing. Last bottle of Stans is leaking through the tyres. Tyres are always wet - Conti X-king Protection and Schwalbe Rocket Ron TLR. I'm trying Bontrager sealant now.

BTW Schwalbe is selling Stans sealant under the Doc Blue name. It used to be something different, but they switched some years ago to Stans.

·
Land of the 230+
2,552 Posts
I want to try Truckerco's sealant. Once I use up all of my Stan's, I'll switch.
I cant comment on puncture plugging, but it does seems to seal the bead well. I recently sold my old wheelset to a buddy. I cleaned up the old wheels as best I could, re-taped them, put in new valve stems, and new tires (same nobby nics, just new ones) and added a few ounces of trucker co cream, and some silver glitter for some bling factor (and supposed puncture sealing properties). Anyway, they set up noticeably easier than the stans did, and held pressure a lot better overnight. Granted this is only a sample size of two wheels, but so far so good.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
I've seen weeping on my older Specialized tires. Butcher, Purgatory, Fast Trak, but not on the Ground Control. Never affected the sealing of the tires...but I did notice that if I neglect to add more sealant...and after a while...the sealant will start to separate and not seal if the tire got punctured.

Using Rocket Rons on one bike, Hans Dampf/Nobby Nic on another, and a Racing Ralph on the rear of a third bike. So far...there is no weeping from any of those tires. I'll pop the bead every couple months to make sure that it's not separating and add more if needed.

My GF recently got a 6Fattie and I converted to tubeless. No weeping so far.

What I did notice that if you buy the small 2oz bottles...there are no chunks in there. Its pretty much all liquid...but if you buy the 16 or 32oz bottles...those have the chunks.

·
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is what's kind of weird about it.

I have other tires, say Surly, though a different model, that don't weep, and others that do.

Hear the same thing, some Schwalbes, some Specialized, some Conti, etc, but never 100%.

So what to think? I have no idea, I just know the phenomenon is a recent thing, and I've been using Stans only, for over 10 years, as well as selling it to all my customers, who, until recently, had no wet sidewalls, yet now, I get one or two a week, stopping by to ask about it, comment on it, etc.

Been paying attention to "chunk level" and such (I only stock quarts). Normally you can see some once shaken and poured, not so much anymore.

It's like someone decided to make Bandaid brand adhesive, water soluble, but deny they did when everyones bandaids start falling off when they wash their hands!

Tinfoil hat, firmly pressed on... :)

·
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, they're about two hours from my house, so there's that. Keep it local, yo! :)

But otherwise, reliability. Always worked, till it was plain, nothing would have anyway. Did winter down to double digit below zero, and the remaining 3 without a hitch other than a few Stanimals.

But once you screw with an old standby, don't expect my loyalty for long... :(

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
My LBS, who's been in the game a long time, said that when he first got Schwalbe tires, you could hold some models up and see sunlight through the casing. I've seen a tiny bit of this weeping. I think it's the glycol/antifreeze, at least it is in my mix. I have to wonder about their tire casings though. They aren't exactly "beefy" tires IME, not my first choice (although I'm running one right now).

Interestingly, that antifreeze was kind of the "missing ingredient" in my mix for a while. Once I added that, I got almost indefinite sealant life with only very small boogers forming after a while.

·
mtbpete
1,304 Posts
Stan's is not a homogeneous liquid. I've been through many, many quarts of sealant and it hasn't changed. I've seen some tires weeping many years ago. I've also had parts of it coagulate with chunks in the bottle ever since I started using it over a decade ago. If you don't shake it up and poor it off the top then your less likely to get the coagulate, but you're also not going to get all the solids that have settled to the bottom and help seal the tire. I've also seen the sealant separate after sitting it a tire for quite some time, which is not a new phenomenon.

Some materials will react with the sealant to cause it to coagulate. The inside of some tires have contaminates inside that can sometimes cause it to coagulate faster. CO2 will always make it coagulate after a couple days.

I've also used Orange seal. It seems to be homogeneous and works good enough, but I haven't had any punctures yet and I'm not sure if it stays liquid as long as Stan's.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,592 Posts
I've noticed on my last 2 sets of Maxxis EXO/TR tires that the bleed through on the sidewalks has happened way faster than previously....within 4 weeks on a new tire. Clearing out the old liquid and putting in to Stans hasn't solved the problem.

Yes I do make sure the bottle is shaken well before pouring out.

·
Registered
2017 Transition Smuggler XL
944 Posts
I have used Stans for five years or so - no problems before, also on the same exact tyres. I shake the bottle really well. The last bottle is different.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts