Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm really thinking of picking up a set of 29er wheels from Stan's site (if he ever gets them in...). I weigh 180lbs plus gear. Anybody see a problem for a rider like me to NOT buy the rims built with AC hubs??? I will use them as my only wheelset, and build a 29er bike (my first) around them...

Thanks for any input! :cool:

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
corner_stuffed said:
go here for some answers to your questions.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=91279

It is about 6 or 7 post down from yours.
I've been reading that thread, which does nothing to answer any of my questions about the rims. That thread is mainly about tire pressures and tubless thoughts...

I want to know if people think the Olympic 29er rims built with AC hubs is a good wheelset for someone like me that weighs 180lbs plus gear, and rides hard. :(

·
Student of the Bike
779 Posts
WIWR: I'm with you...

I was thinking the same thing about the Stans Rims. Some of my early research seemed to show that people thought Stans was having some quality control issues with his rim production. These rims seem very appealing to me but I'm around 175lbs and would be using them for my all around wheels (training & racing). That other "stans rim thread" didn't really have much to do with rim quality and durability. If its too early to tell then at least post-up a review once you get some mileage on the rims.
Thanks,
CBaron

·
Flight Junkie
832 Posts
I will review when I get time on them

As soon as I get a chance to try them out I will post my thoughts. I weigh about 180 and will use them as my only wheelset for now. I really like tubeless here is Arizona with the thorns and rocks.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IBIKEAZ said:
As soon as I get a chance to try them out I will post my thoughts. I weigh about 180 and will use them as my only wheelset for now. I really like tubeless here is Arizona with the thorns and rocks.

Thanks guys. I think that the rims seem pretty cool. I don't know anything about building wheels though. Is it a big deal that these rims aren't eyeleted or whatever?

·
Cassoulet forever !
2,260 Posts
Theses rims are a dream weight weenie item.
They were design for pure XC racing at the olympic games., not for everyday riding !

I think that a set build from a GOOD whellbuilder could last some times, if you ride smooth, and avoid crash, but don't expect to keep them forever.

I would go for 36 spokes to give it a more constant "support" from the spokes.

·
Registered
215 Posts
stan's rims

I've been using stans 29er rims for over a year on a rigid SS. I weigh about 160 and use these as daily wheels.

I've got 2 pairs of wheels both with stan's rims. I wanted a light weight set for racing and a heavyier duty set for daily riding on the nasty east coats trails around here.

The race set are pretty much my dailly wheels now. They are much stronger than I anticipated. I hardly use the heavier wheelset.

The race set of 32h King disc hub, dt 14/17 stans rims wheels that have never gone out of true. The other pair are 32h hugi hub, 14/15, stans.

I love these wheels.

I wouldn't get them for dailly riding if you plan to use V brakes though. They don't have much material on the sidewalls (gotta save weight somewhere) . Would make a great race wheel though.

Bottom line, if you run discs get these rims. If you run V's, they're great race rims.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
665 Posts
clydes beware

I emailed Stan about the use of his rims with heavyweight riders (I'm 220#) and he said he wouldn't recommend these for someone my size. I may be stating the obvious here but I thought I'd share what I heard from the horse's mouth. He didn't give any clear weight limits for them, just that 220 was too much. Gave me a complex.

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
Tbone said:
I emailed Stan about the use of his rims with heavyweight riders (I'm 220#) and he said he wouldn't recommend these for someone my size. I may be stating the obvious here but I thought I'd share what I heard from the horse's mouth. He didn't give any clear weight limits for them, just that 220 was too much. Gave me a complex.
It would be nice to know just what Stan thinks the weight limit and riding style is for his rims. 180? 190? 170? 160?

BB

·
No Reputation!
1,725 Posts
That's a good question

yeah, some guidlines would be nice, especially on the superlight stuff but I can see why they don't. "Hey, I'm 160# and your rim failed causing me to crash and crack my head open and now I'm gonna sue because you said it was good for up to 200#'s!" I think it's setting themselves up for problems. The problem is, of course, [begin Darth Vader voice here] "YOU CANNOT RESIST THE POWER OF THE LIGHTWEIGHT BICYCLE!" [end Darth Vader voice here]

·
Registered
917 Posts
Fastskiguy said:
yeah, some guidlines would be nice, especially on the superlight stuff but I can see why they don't. "Hey, I'm 160# and your rim failed causing me to crash and crack my head open and now I'm gonna sue because you said it was good for up to 200#'s!" I think it's setting themselves up for problems. The problem is, of course, [begin Darth Vader voice here] "YOU CANNOT RESIST THE POWER OF THE LIGHTWEIGHT BICYCLE!" [end Darth Vader voice here]
I really don't think it's worth the hassle for a 'bigger' guy.

I'm ~175-180 and put a set of Stan's rims (the ones with the braking surface) on and found they're way too light for me.

36 hole Phil disc on the front, and 32 hole Rohloff on the rear, CX-rays, and have put both rims far out of true on some riding that I wouldn't really consider that hard in terms of bumps, ruts, etc.

I've been building wheels for >20 years and have never had problems with out-of-true rims until I got these.

The Dyads I had on previously (for > a year) kept a lickin' and kept on tickin'-never one problem with true no matter how hard I bashed them.

Unless you're really light, or just want to use them on smooth course race day, don't waste the time or money...RC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts