Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
mtbpete
1,304 Posts
It depends on what your'e using them for and what model you choose. I know plenty of riders happy with the Arch MK3 and couple that have cracked them at spoke holes. The later were heavier riders doing drops and all mountain riding. I like the low sidewall feature of Stan's rims. There are a lot of other good rims to choose from though.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I've had Stans ZTR Arch alloy trims on my Stumpjumper for many years now. It's a 2010 and I think I put them on in 2011 or 2012. So that's 7 to 8 years of hard use. I weigh about 220 lbs and ride hard but don't huck or get air. I've taken them to Kingdom Trails and Highland Mountain Bike Park too many times to count.

In June at Nembafest, I actually stopped at the Stans booth to thank them for the trouble-free awesome wheels. They said my wheels were three generations old but still looked great. They gave me a t-shirt for stopping in to chat! Cool company!

If general sentiment is bad, maybe I got a really good set? I'd definitely buy them again though.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
powered by peanut butter.
879 Posts
I had an Arch MK3 that cracked around the eyelets after just under two years of use. I'm about 200lbs, but ride mostly XC--my tires rarely leave the ground. Before that, I had ZTR Arches that I beat the snot out of for many years. I've been looking at DT Swiss alloy rims for comparable price/weight options to replace when my current rims fail.

·
Registered
400 Posts
with echo other, ztr flows were bulletproof for years, went to arch mk3 and i killed a neo hub in 6 months, rim spoke eyelets with cracks all over 6 months later on the replacement, now on 3rd wheel. Great warranty and reactions form stans but I won't likely be back. I am a 160lb mostly XC guy........

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Yeah, I see a lot of neg press on Stan's rims on these boards. But I've used them for years and when the right rim is chosen for the right applications I've had no significant issues with those rims. I've killed plenty of rims in my days and can't say Stan's died any sooner than any other rim.

·
slow
7,749 Posts
The set of 2nd hand Arch EX wheels I bought came with inexpensive hubs. The rear one was blown when I bought the wheels. I re-laced the rear with another inexpensive hub and have several thousand trail miles on them with no issues.

I bought a second hand bike last year with a Crest rim laced to an American Classic hub and it has been bomb proof on my soft tail and hard tail for over 2000 trail miles, including several trips to Moab and down Ahab and down UPS, LPS, and Porc. My only complaint is that there are some pieces from the weld that came loose inside the rim and bounce around like a baby rattle. I was able to fish one out through the valve hole last year, but haven't bothered to go after the others.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,214 Posts
Stan's has a history of questionable engineering decisions, from poor hubs with mechanisms that easily fail to making lighter rims than the competition by simply using less aluminum, gaining the reputation for flimsy flexy rims. Their issues are recoverable, but it doesn't inspire much confidence in the manufacturer and this general disdain is the end result of all of the issues that many users have experienced. The guy did help to make tubeless mainstream, but apart from that, I don't see other contribution to the industry or reason to go with Stan's components, like hubs, rims, etc. Too much good stuff from reputable manufacturers out there, like DT.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Stan's has a history of questionable engineering decisions, from poor hubs with mechanisms that easily fail to making lighter rims than the competition by simply using less aluminum, gaining the reputation for flimsy flexy rims. Their issues are recoverable, but it doesn't inspire much confidence in the manufacturer and this general disdain is the end result of all of the issues that many users have experienced. The guy did help to make tubeless mainstream, but apart from that, I don't see other contribution to the industry or reason to go with Stan's components, like hubs, rims, etc. Too much good stuff from reputable manufacturers out there, like DT.
This. 15-20 years ago you could make a case for Stan's since tubeless tire options were sparse to say the least and Stan's rims allowed you to bodge together a usable tubeless setup with non-tubeless tires. This allowed us to overlook the many flaws in their rims.

These days? Forget it. The QC on their rims is atrocious, I'm not even joking when I say the $30 Alexrims MD23 that I recently bought for my beater bike is far straighter out of the box than any Stan's rim I've ever seen, and built up easier with more even spoke tension. And they're weak. Granted, I'm rather abusive on rims & tires but I've never had a Stan's rim last longer than a couple months, and I've used every single rim they've made in the last 10 years. Comparable rims from DT, Spank, and WTB have lasted at least a couple years with similar abuse.

·
Registered
61 Posts
ive got 2 sets of Flow MK3 in 27.5, one set with Sram 900 hubs, and my in use set with CK hubs. love them, they are good and strong, no leaks or cracks in them. Ive only damaged one. totally my fault, rear tire hit the face side of a landing, and hammered it. curshed the rim.

·
Armature speller
Unit, Anthem, Stumpy, Secteur
4,596 Posts
Arch EX & Flow EX seem to be bulletproof here although I much prefer the WTB bead shelf.
The MK3 rims seem to cop the negativity.

My 3.30SS rear hub is still working sweet too.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
I"ve come across quite a bit of negative comments...what are your experiences with their ally rims?
Thanks.
I've owned a bunch of them, mostly flow EXs. I have a couple in rotation currently. In my riding group we've had multiple sets of every model. Consensus is that they work alright, but there is always a better option at a given price and application. They tend to be easy to flat-spot, and the light models are flexy and pretty sensitive to spoke tension. I don't like their bead seat; it's too easy to push the bead off the shelf and burp. I think WTB, raceface, and DT make a better product, but i'll probably buy another stan's rim some day.

Their hubs... run away. Far away.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't like their bead seat; it's too easy to push the bead off the shelf and burp. I think WTB, raceface, and DT make a better product, but i'll probably buy another stan's rim some day.
So you think its the rims that can cause burping? my son and i both run these, he is always complaing about burping the rear. I figured its cause he runs the PSI so low... mid to low 20's. Maybe I can push him into a new rim setup. What do you recommend?

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
Ihaven't personally had problems.

I destroyed an Arch in one ride...wrong hoop for the job (I only laced it to get my through for a few weeks before getting a Flow).

Destroyed that Flow after a couple years of abuse. Pretty happy with how it held up.

Bought two new Flow's to lace up to some second hand Pro2's. Bike parked tested them yesterday, all seemed good.

Have Valors on my XC bike with the Neo Ultimate hubs. Lots of negative reviews on those hubs, but mine have been fine.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
So you think its the rims that can cause burping? my son and i both run these, he is always complaing about burping the rear. I figured its cause he runs the PSI so low... mid to low 20's. Maybe I can push him into a new rim setup. What do you recommend?
If the tire is folding over or burping then that's limiting it's potential. Low 20s in the rear is a no-go for me, regardless of tire, but i'm >200lbs. You can try adding another layer of rim tape, and some tires just don't play nicely with stan's rims.

Currently my favorite rims are the raceface ARC rims. Here's what i like about them
-hard alloy
-offset options
-a bunch of widths
-UST clone profile
-HD option
-welded

The finishing isn't the best i've ever seen, but they're plenty good enough. They build up easily. I really like that you can mix the offset/HD rims to optimize the wheelset.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Owned two sets of the old flows, they were unflappable on heavily ridden trail enduro bikes. Now have two sets of Mk3 flows (custom builds on both, so not stans hubs) One set on enduro bike, and one set DH. Both have been solid over a couple years. Picked up some dings from low pressures at the bike park, but nothing that upset the tubeless. I've never had issues with burping running Maxxis, or Schwalbe mid casings.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I never had problems with the rims, but the first two generations of their hubs that used sealed bearings were atrocious. I just picked up a pair of new old stock NEO laced stans wheels for my sub 100 pound son, interested to see if they hold up better with a light rider. I hated that Stans didn’t let you pick you hub, the world had moved way faster than them and they insisted on lacing their rims to their crummy hubs.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I got a set the end of last summer on closeout from Performance. 29" Arch Mk3's with Speed Tuned hubs. I'm 190lbs and ride Auburn and Nevada City mostly and am an intermediate rider. After about 250 miles of use I just had to true up the rear after coming up short on a double, but no cracks yet. I run a Butcher/Slaughter combo and have not burped a tire yet.

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,210 Posts
No issues with Stan's rims here...

I have a herd of them ranging from 10-year old Crest's and Flow's to modern EX variants. I have one Stan's HD 3.30 rear hub (along with a number of Chris King and DT Swiss hubs) that has held up fine. I did put some nice wobbles that wheel that came with Crest rear after a few years of urban assaults down staircases and other technical trail features in the dirt and rocks. Not bad considering I weigh 195 lbs. I swapped in an ArchEX and all has been well since.

I also built up Light Bicycle Flow size and (slightly wider) Nextie offset spoke hole 29er carbon wheels and they are also fine.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Bent the crap out of both the front and rear Arch wheels after one day of riding flowy single track. Since then I have had 3 sets of Flow ztr's laced to either Profile or i9 hubs, and never had any issues with them. Good strong wheels. I am currently looking for a new wheel set in place of the wtb i35's that came stock. Something with an inner width of 30, and built to take abuse. Looking at Spank, i9, and DT for this round.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.