Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the consensus about Stans Rims - I am still on the fence about these.

They have been out long enough and I assume some weight weenies have had experience?

Cheers
Trevor!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I said nay.

No real good reason. I have just been thinking that if you want to ride tubeless, why dont' you ride tubeless. I hated my tubeless rims at first, but after adding Stans sealant to them, now I love them. I'm building a new set of wheels with Chris King Hubs and the Mavic UST rims. It actually isn't as heavy as you would think. You can run regular tires (right brands) with the sealant and you are basically at the same place. With the Stans rims you still need the whole rimstrip etc. It just comes down to whether you need the extra grams for racing or if you can give up a few for convenience and stability. There is something to be said for something built specifically for it's purpose.

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
keypocket said:
No real good reason. I have just been thinking that if you want to ride tubeless, why dont' you ride tubeless. I hated my tubeless rims at first, but after adding Stans sealant to them, now I love them. I'm building a new set of wheels with Chris King Hubs and the Mavic UST rims. It actually isn't as heavy as you would think. You can run regular tires (right brands) with the sealant and you are basically at the same place. With the Stans rims you still need the whole rimstrip etc. It just comes down to whether you need the extra grams for racing or if you can give up a few for convenience and stability. There is something to be said for something built specifically for it's purpose.
Your talking about quite a large weight difference there. And for racing that weight difference is HUGE!
I'd also like to hear some thoughts on these rims....
All I have heard so far is some people complaining that the rims aren't finished off nicely.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Do the math..UST rims are not THAT much lighter....

This has been discussed many, many times in the past. If you are going to run lower pressure, then a stronger UST rims will survive longer. See running tires at lower pressure you risk possibly denting the rim. UST rims can survive better and hence why Mavíc made them stronger.

I think the tolta differnce after Stan's and UST rims is 45-75g per rim. Unless you are in the Olympics or a Pro Racer that weight difference will not affect your performance and time.
yes we are weight weenies though :p and that includes Mavic or DT rims with the Eclipse Kit.

Also do you wnat your valve stem coming off the rimstrip during the race and giving you an DNF? This happens all the time with stan's rimstrips.

Now the finish it not that nice on the rims and I have only heard of a 3-4 issues with something going wrong with Stan's so it's your choice.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
More like 100+g per rim

DIRT BOY said:
I think the tolta differnce after Stan's and UST rims is 45-75g per rim. Unless you are in the Olympics or a Pro Racer that weight difference will not affect your performance and time. yes we are weight weenies though :p and that includes Mavic or DT rims with the Eclipse Kit.

Also do you wnat your valve stem coming off the rimstrip during the race and giving you an DNF? This happens all the time with stan's rimstrips.
Mavic's UST rim weighs in at around 500g when you include the FORE-nipples and the long, 16mm brass nipples you'll have to use. Compare that to 410g for the ZTR355 including the rimstrip, or 365 with just tape and a valve. This works well for most tires.

As for valves separating from the rim strip, that't not much of a problem with the second generation rim strip, and not at all if you seal the rim with tape instead of the rim strip.

Ole.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My vote would be Nay...

Trevor! said:

They have been out long enough and I assume some weight weenies have had experience?

Cheers
Trevor!
Although I do not own them, I was present at my lbs when a wheelset was being built up with them... although very light the quality looked suspect, there was a big weld glob where the two ends met and from what the mechanic told me the rim was proving tougher than normal to keep straight (maybe a isolated problem). The rim's light weight is mainly due to the absence of spoke eyelets which may or may not be an issue.

Overall I to was considering them, however I was not sold based upon what I saw..

I do applaud Stan for being innovative...

Jag

·
Registered
790 Posts
stans rims

I've been running stans rims for v-brakes. The wider profile of the rim allows for higher volume of air in the tire and a wider contact patch. My blue groove lites look huge! The rims are not finished as nicely as mavic or dt, but they are holding up. The build: 2x 28h front with revolution 15/17, 3x drive, 2x non-drive 32h 15/17 rear. I'm 165 lbs. and I ride epic xc and race longer events. I've beat them pretty hard and they are staying straight and true. They are light! They are fast! I've not had any problems with the flex. The surface treatment does not seem to help the braking, which with rim brakes seems poor vs a plain al rim surface ie mavic. I expect the braking will improve once the ano wears off. Of course this does not matter for those going with discs. I expect the lack of eyelets will affect the overall durability. Overall I would say the best use for these rims would be raceday disc wheelsets. They definately have advantages: weight and the increase in air volume.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
possibly, but not likely...

Stans rims listed at 355...but if I recall actual weights are a bit heavier....about 365-370. Add 65 grams for the strip and your at 430 grams. This is for a very light weight rim that only lighter weight riders should be using. I'm 185 as are many of my teammates in that weight range. I would not ride such a light weight rim.
NOW....an average lightweight rim will weigh about 410 grams that most everyone can ride. Add the 65 gram rimstrip and your now at 475. Weight difference is only 35 grams for a MUCH stronger rim with no fuss of muss of rim strips leaking, stems tearing, etc.

FYI, 16mm brass nipples are not required. I built a set using 14mm colored alloy nipples and I just had Mike G build be a rear wheel using 12mm colored alloy nipples. No problem what so ever.

KMan

Ole said:
Mavic's UST rim weighs in at around 500g when you include the FORE-nipples and the long, 16mm brass nipples you'll have to use. Compare that to 410g for the ZTR355 including the rimstrip, or 365 with just tape and a valve. This works well for most tires.

As for valves separating from the rim strip, that't not much of a problem with the second generation rim strip, and not at all if you seal the rim with tape instead of the rim strip.

Ole.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Tough decision because they have some nice positives (light, wide, great tire mounting) but also some negatives (finish quality, valves tearing, valve stem hole drilled too large). My biggest gripes were that mine came in at 368 and 369 grams, had very poor finish quality at the seam, and one was quite out of round. I spent a few hours removing the extra glob of weld at the seams but there wasn't much I could do with the out of round one. More importantly, after I built them up I rode them too long before re-tensioning them and they went WAY out of true. It is a disc wheelset, so I didn't notice how crooked they were until I actually felt the wobble at high speed! I've trued them twice now and they seem to be doing great finally. My guess is that the nipples took time to settle into the rim bed (no eyelets). I see no visible sign of the rim actually stretching around the spoke hole (fingers crossed). They seem to be strong enough for trail riding but I have been running larger volume heavy tires lately too. The biggest thing these rims have going for them, besides weight (assuming yours actually weigh closer to 355 grams), in my opinion, is tire mounting. Tires seem to mount easily and the bead seats with authority. I run Eclipse A126U rimstrips/valves but they would work better if the valve stem hole in the rim weren't drilled so large by Stan (a kludge to try to reduce Stan's rim strip tears). I would also be nice if Eclipse offered a 2 mm wider rimstrip. I use Stan's sealant mostly because it is readily available and I've never had problems with it. I've had mixed results with Eclipse sealant.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ugh, I have heard the word finish and quality too much in the same sentence. I think yet again I will have to give them a miss - I always think will I get them and sit on the fence for too long and then decide nope.

Perhaps when I hear more good stuff and more positive finish comments I will make a move for them.

·
Registered
158 Posts
A fine rim despite the finish

Trevor! said:
Ugh, I have heard the word finish and quality too much in the same sentence. I think yet again I will have to give them a miss - I always think will I get them and sit on the fence for too long and then decide nope.

Perhaps when I hear more good stuff and more positive finish comments I will make a move for them.
It's a shame that only the fence ridders responded, as I know there are some satisfied customers. I'll stay clear of the tech talk and simply say that something does not have to have a great "finish" to be a fine product. I've been ridding mine hard for a while - they are light, strong, and never leak - I go from week to week without adding any air whatsoever. At any rate, you need to be comfortable with your purchase, so wait if you must!!

Cheers,

SDW

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Personally

I like them. Unfortunately, I am one of the masses who have yet to ride them. I do have a pair though, I just haven't completed the bike build yet. For those who complain about the finish quality, just think about the different brands out there. I'd much rather have a rim with no logos (the sticker peels off quite easily) and have an industrial look to them than I have a wheelset with all those horrible graphics. My wheelset has black rims, black king hubs, with black supercomp spokes. They look great! Definitely personal preference though. I'll definitely post more information when I ride them.

Chris

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ctxcrossx said:
I like them. Unfortunately, I am one of the masses who have yet to ride them. I do have a pair though, I just haven't completed the bike build yet. For those who complain about the finish quality, just think about the different brands out there. I'd much rather have a rim with no logos (the sticker peels off quite easily) and have an industrial look to them than I have a wheelset with all those horrible graphics. My wheelset has black rims, black king hubs, with black supercomp spokes. They look great! Definitely personal preference though. I'll definitely post more information when I ride them.

Chris
Once you get some good saddle time with the rims post a review if you could. It would be much appreciated.

·
Banned
163 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
This has been discussed many, many times in the past. If you are going to run lower pressure, then a stronger UST rims will survive longer. See running tires at lower pressure you risk possibly denting the rim. UST rims can survive better and hence why Mavíc made them stronger.

I think the tolta differnce after Stan's and UST rims is 45-75g per rim. Unless you are in the Olympics or a Pro Racer that weight difference will not affect your performance and time.
yes we are weight weenies though :p and that includes Mavic or DT rims with the Eclipse Kit.

Now the finish it not that nice on the rims and I have only heard of a 3-4 issues with something going wrong with Stan's so it's your choice.
I've raced quite a bit on stans. I've never had a valve stem come off? what the hell? I run 50 psi or more a lot of the time.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mattv2099 said:
I've raced quite a bit on stans. I've never had a valve stem come off? what the hell? I run 50 psi or more a lot of the time.
50psi is a bit high isn't it.

That is still a flaw I have found with tubeless systems - the tendency to run higher pressures. I like to run 32psi in the front and 35 or so in the back but with tubeless systems and normal tires such pressure feels squishy and thus I find myself running pressures around the 40psi mark (And I am 155Lbs/ A hair under 6ft).

·
Registered
601 Posts
Trevor! said:

Cheers
Trevor!
All of these reviews should be considered against the fact that the rims cost $110 each (last I checked) which is twice as much as other rims.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Wheel weights

I will definitely post more information after I have given them a test ride. For now, here are the weight stats. I purchased these as a wheelset, so I wasn't able to weigh the parts individually, but there were weights written in permenant marker on the sides of the rims: 354 for the front rim and 351 for the rear rim. I have weighed the wheels when I got them though, on a very accurate scale, so the wheel weights I know are accurate. The front wheel is 711 grams and the rear wheel is 846 grams. This is with a build of king ISO hubs, alloy nipples, and supercomp spokes (32 per wheel, 3 cross). This is also without rimstrip, cassette, skewers, etc.

Chris

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
True, but like most bike parts, they can be had for much less than suggested retail. If I had paid that much for what I received, considering all the work it took to make them useable, I would have been very disappointed.

I should make it clear that the "finish" problems I found were not cosmetic. The globs of weld were large enough to keep the tire from seating properly at the seam. I also doubt that this is a common issue. I have been satisfied with these rims otherwise and would buy them again. Just be sure to re-tension the spokes as necessary as the nipples bed into the non-eyeleted rim! I have by no means pampered these wheels and have been riding them for nearly 5 months and over 1000 miles including 4 races on rough courses (with relatively big tires though).

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I have yet to see a rimstrip where the valve did not eventually tear off. I think it happened to 3 or 4 of mine and it has since happened to some others I just gave away. When it comes to rimstrips, there is no comparison between Eclipse and Stans (if cost is not an issue).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good product....

Trevor

I live in Costa Rica and I've been using this rims since the start of the year. They are light and build pretty strong wheels for the average weight racer. One has to keep in mind that basically ALL RACING products are design for RACERS. If you are 195 - 200 pounds probably this rims are not for you. This said, I am 157 pounds and my wheels are XTR disc hubs, 32 supercomp DT spokes, aluminum nipples and the ZTR rims. The wheels are sick light and have held up great. I even had a nasty fall on a 12 hour race, the front wheel took a good blow, they survive and I have no complaints. The best part is how easy it is to seal regular tires with this rims. You are done in 20 min with a regular floor pump.
During the first 3 months of the year is really dry and hot here. I used kenda karma 2.0 480 grs tires. Great float and no flats for 3 months.they are excellent tires for dry coonditions and they are really wide. they probably have the volumen of a continental 2.3 tire. Now I am using ritchey ZED WCS 2.1 tires. This are very good for loose and wet conditions which is all we see here from july to november. All this plus the advantage of running 28 - 32 psi.
This year I am doing La ruta de los conquistadores with these set of wheels with absolute confidence, this is a 3 day 410 Km race.I wouldn't recomend or use this unless they were proven. To me this system is better that UST. Is safe, lighter and cheaper. Buy this with confidence you are going to love them.

I apologize for my written english, my native language is spanish.

Jose.

Trevor! said:
Once you get some good saddle time with the rims post a review if you could. It would be much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts