Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy -

I need a new set of XC wheels, and for a variety of reasons am going to stick with a conventional tube setup for the time being. [puts flame-retardant suit on]

That said, I'm curious to know if the wider and lower profile of Stans 355 or Arch rims will still offer benefits when used with tubes versus regular rims like a Mavic 717/719 or DT 4.2? Can you really run lower pressures in Stans rims with tubes to a degree that makes a practical difference on the trail?

Thanks in advance for your input!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
i would go with the stans rims (but i am very partial). specially if you are wanting a wider rim, i think you should be able to run a few lbs less pressure with a wider rim. go with a wide tire if you want to run low pressure, true 2.2 or 2.4. wider rims also maximize the tires width.

i have recently ran a TRUE 2.2 tire with tubes on a 19mm wide mavic rim at 23 front and 25 back with no problems of rough roots and few rocks with me at 150. tires felt awesome, lots of traction and a smooth ride - very fast.

the stans rims will be lighter and IF you ever want to try converting a tire to tubeless, you will have the right rims for the job.

so go for it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.