Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have them? How do you like them? What type of riding do you do with them?
I've tried searching but when you type the word "Stan's" you get just about everything else but their wheelsets and rims. I just got a C'dale Rush 3z.....210 lbs agressive XC rider who rides on the east coast that doesnt jump or huck anything....just the ocassional 1-3 foot water bar.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I built a set with ZTR 355 rims and King hubs a couple of years ago. I used Stan's yellow rim tape and have been running "Stan-ized" Nevegals. I'm 200 pounds riding a Titus Moto-Lite on pretty wheel friendly terrain (no real rocks around here - just lots of tree roots). They've performed just fine for me. I threw them in the truing stand a while back cause I was bored and they didn't need any tweaking.

Dan

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I'm quite tempted to try their rims as well. The ZTR355 is quite light but I think I'll go with the new ZTR Arch that is basically the same as 355 but with a reinforcement in the center arch. At 420g it's the same as a DTSwiss but I kind of like Stan's theory on the "Bead socket technology". I've also been running "Stan-ized" Nevegals but on xmax wheels, hopefully Stan's rims will be as easy to use as Mavic.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
same here

BanzaiRider said:
I'm quite tempted to try their rims as well. The ZTR355 is quite light but I think I'll go with the new ZTR Arch that is basically the same as 355 but with a reinforcement in the center arch. At 420g it's the same as a DTSwiss but I kind of like Stan's theory on the "Bead socket technology". I've also been running "Stan-ized" Nevegals but on xmax wheels, hopefully Stan's rims will be as easy to use as Mavic.
I want to try out the Arch too. Right now Ive got CrossMax XLs but with Nokian NBX USts mounted. With them on there, the wheels are boat anchors.
How successfully mounted are your Stans-ized Nevies? Which ones are you using. I was thinking of going with the 2.1 DTC to replace the Nokians and transfer them over if i build up the Stans wheelset.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm running the Nevegal 2.1 Stick-E's. When you convert them to NoTubes, you need to break out a fresh can of patience, cause the Neve's are a royal PAIN to get sealed!! You'll deal with seemingly thousands of casing pin holes and the beads just don't want to seal. It took me about a week (literally!) of sloshing the sealant, laying the wheel horizontally, leaving it sit overnight, reinflating, and repeating until I finally sealed all the pin holes and the beads. Once sealed, they've not given me ANY problems (that's been about a year ago) and don't leak at all. Good thing the Neve's perform cause I would have thrown them in a bon fire if they hadn't after all that trouble!!

Dan

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
wddamf said:
I'm running the Nevegal 2.1 Stick-E's. When you convert them to NoTubes, you need to break out a fresh can of patience, cause the Neve's are a royal PAIN to get sealed!! You'll deal with seemingly thousands of casing pin holes and the beads just don't want to seal. It took me about a week (literally!) of sloshing the sealant, laying the wheel horizontally, leaving it sit overnight, reinflating, and repeating until I finally sealed all the pin holes and the beads. Once sealed, they've not given me ANY problems (that's been about a year ago) and don't leak at all. Good thing the Neve's perform cause I would have thrown them in a bon fire if they hadn't after all that trouble!!

Dan
Haha, I've had the same experience with my Nevagal but on xmax XL wheels! So it seems like either a Stan rim or a real UST Mavic rim doesn't really change anything. That's good to know, you just cleared one of my concerns with Stan's rim!

·
Registered
254 Posts
It's definitely the tire!! I did a fair amount of research on the problems I had sealing the Neve and most everyone told the same story - even Stan's. If fact, I was about to give up until I read that they did eventually get them to seal. I found that the bead socket design on Stan's rims really seems to "grab" the tire bead more firmly than a regular rim, based on the last time I removed a tire from the rim, so I don't doubt his claims.

Dan

·
Registered
275 Posts
lawndart said:
Does anyone have them? How do you like them? What type of riding do you do with them?
I've tried searching but when you type the word "Stan's" you get just about everything else but their wheelsets and rims. I just got a C'dale Rush 3z.....210 lbs agressive XC rider who rides on the east coast that doesnt jump or huck anything....just the ocassional 1-3 foot water bar.
Sounds like you are just looking for feedback about the rims/wheelsets, but if you are trying to find info on Stan's products check out: www.notubes.com

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a set of 355's on AC hubs. I ride lots of rocky and rooty singletrack, some 1-2' drops, I ride pretty agressive and weigh 165#, and ride a hardtail. These wheels are incredibly light and the feeling of acceleration is awesome, however, while they are still going after about 800 miles, they do require truing on a regular basis, about every 50 miles or so. I think they make a great race wheelset, but for everyday use they require too much work for me. So I plan to retire them to my wife's bike as soon as my I-9's show up. Mike

·
Registered
910 Posts
Im going to build a set of Stans Olympic and DT 240 disk wheels as soon as I get spokes. With yellow tape, stans juice+ light tires, they should be some real weight weenie wheels.

Hmmmm, do I DARE use DT Revolution spokes 2.0/1.5???

·
Registered
254 Posts
I was originally going to build a set of Olympics but the kild folks over at Stans tome me I was too fat to ride them!! Seriously, they strongly recommended that the Olympics are for the lightweight guys (less than 180lbs) who ride gentle.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WindWalker said:
I have a set of 355's on AC hubs. I ride lots of rocky and rooty singletrack, some 1-2' drops, I ride pretty agressive and weigh 165#, and ride a hardtail. These wheels are incredibly light and the feeling of acceleration is awesome, however, while they are still going after about 800 miles, they do require truing on a regular basis, about every 50 miles or so. I think they make a great race wheelset, but for everyday use they require too much work for me. So I plan to retire them to my wife's bike as soon as my I-9's show up. Mike
Thats why i was thinking of building up a set of 355 Arches. Weighing 210 w/o camelback riding rocky rooty singletrack with noithing more than a drop higher than knee level. i would think theses would hold up. Plus i work at a bike shop so truing the wheel is not a problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.