Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
aka bOb
8,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after reading some good reviews on the new Stans Race sealant I decided to give it a go. Three weeks after installing it in new tires with new rims I destroyed one of the rims and had to pull the tire off, that's when I found the fuzzy balls. Each tire had about 8-10 rabbit turd sized round white fuzzy balls. I guessing it's the extra fibers they added to aide in sealing holes as these are not your normal Stanimals. I have a hard time believing these are doing any good whatsoever.

Attachments

·
since 4/10/2009
34,600 Posts
you got that 3 weeks after a fresh install on brand new tires/rims? damn, traditional stanimals have always taken quite a bit longer than that to develop on my bikes.

·
aka bOb
8,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you got that 3 weeks after a fresh install on brand new tires/rims? damn, traditional stanimals have always taken quite a bit longer than that to develop on my bikes.
Yup 3 weeks!! These feel more like a small ball on the top of a hat or a dryer ball more than a Stanimal.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,600 Posts
Yup 3 weeks!! These feel more like a small ball on the top of a hat or a dryer ball more than a Stanimal.
Weird.

The closest I have come to that are tiny little balls of dirt that accumulate from the dust that might get into the cavity inside my nextie fatbike rims and tumble around inside. But those are at the largest, the size of cous cous grains.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,186 Posts
I think I was getting little balls like that when I was cutting my mix with ammonia, there's already ammonia in the mold builder, but I was adding more, and I distinctly remember those. These days, I get the normal big stans ones eventually with my recipe...

Finger Art Paint Artwork Art paint

·
aka bOb
8,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Using CO2 or air? CO2 can tend to neutralize ammonia and increase the tendency to form stanimals.
Air.

From Stans:

The Fuzz balls are expected and normal.

The race sealant has not only extra crystals, but also multiple sizes of crystals in it. While this makes it significantly better at sealing punctures, it also requires more maintenance and oversight to use. We recommend checking our regular sealing every 3 months. With race sealant we recommend inspecting it every 2 weeks, and replacing it if a large number of the balls have formed or if any has evaporated off.

Race sealant requires a lot of maintenance to use continuously. It was designed and introduced as very much a race day product.

So I guess short story us to stay away from the race formula. I'm thinking it's time to move on from Stans altogether.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,600 Posts
Air.

From Stans:

The Fuzz balls are expected and normal.

The race sealant has not only extra crystals, but also multiple sizes of crystals in it. While this makes it significantly better at sealing punctures, it also requires more maintenance and oversight to use. We recommend checking our regular sealing every 3 months. With race sealant we recommend inspecting it every 2 weeks, and replacing it if a large number of the balls have formed or if any has evaporated off.

Race sealant requires a lot of maintenance to use continuously. It was designed and introduced as very much a race day product.

So I guess short story us to stay away from the race formula. I'm thinking it's time to move on from Stans altogether.
Okay then. I've been using the regular Stan's for a long time.

On my new bike, I set it up with Orange Seal (just out of curiosity) and wasn't exactly impressed with how that worked out. Not sure if it's sealed up any punctures for me yet, but the glitter inside it chewed up multiple valve core seals and led to a lot of leakage the first couple weeks until I figured out that there were a couple glitter bits jammed inside the valve that were causing the problems (had to remove the valve from the rim and blast the junk out with my compressor, because oddly, using the compressor to seat the tire bead wasn't clearing them out of the valve).

·
aka bOb
8,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay then. I've been using the regular Stan's for a long time.

On my new bike, I set it up with Orange Seal (just out of curiosity) and wasn't exactly impressed with how that worked out. Not sure if it's sealed up any punctures for me yet, but the glitter inside it chewed up multiple valve core seals and led to a lot of leakage the first couple weeks until I figured out that there were a couple glitter bits jammed inside the valve that were causing the problems (had to remove the valve from the rim and blast the junk out with my compressor, because oddly, using the compressor to seat the tire bead wasn't clearing them out of the valve).
That doesn't sound good!! Might give caffelatex a go??

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
nah. I'll buy whatever I can get locally. regular stans has never given me problems and everybody carries it. I just wanted to try orange seal because of how many people have told me it's so great. meh.
Sealant is funny like that, I have been using OS for years and never had that problem with the glitter clogging the valve. I started using it because of the huge Stanimals we were getting with Stan's. OS leaves a distinct coating, and sometimes it is a pain to remove, if you are so inclined, but it's generally better than the clumping. I did recently discover that OS can be induced to create Stanimals, I put a Huck Norris insert in a friend's wheel, and the insert spins freely sometimes in the tire, which wipes off the coating in areas and this ended up creating a single enormous lump over several months. My feeling is that we still remain far from finding the perfect sealant formula.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.