Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Well done. Forgot to mention what can happen if you "stretch the kevlar bead". Otherwise pretty much covered the pros and cons.

With this statement I can understand why you you are a candidate for tubeless.
"...I'm 135lbs and used to have to run 50psi to keep from pinch flatting..."

I am 170 lbs, rarely run more than 35-38 psi and rarely pinch flat. I do not even run 50 psi on my mtb tandem.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Yes, indeed, VERY helpful. I now know what this is, what it does and to stay the heck away from this horrible stuff. :eek:

Hey, you said Slam it. :D

Okay, seriously, it really IS a very helpful write-up and review. Thanks!

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
I am 170 lbs, rarely run more than 35-38 psi and rarely pinch flat. I do not even run 50 psi on my mtb tandem.

Damn, I rarely run more than 31psi in mine

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Redmon said:

Damn, I rarely run more than 31psi in mine
Of course it depends on the tire size, front or rear, casing type and terrain.

My basic ranges:
Casing width under 44 mm I will use 40-50 psi
45-49 mm: 32-40 psi
50-54 mm: 25-35
Over 55 mm: 10-30 psi

·
Registered
537 Posts
Casing width vs inflation pressure: WITH tubes?

shiggy said:
Of course it depends on the tire size, front or rear, casing type and terrain.

My basic ranges:
Casing width under 44 mm I will use 40-50 psi
45-49 mm: 32-40 psi
50-54 mm: 25-35
Over 55 mm: 10-30 psi
Thanks Shiggy for the above info, that really makes sense. This is for tires WITH tubes?
Certainly feels like the sidewall construction also has an effect on the ideal range of psi inflation pressures for different tires(to prevent pinch flats that is). I tend to add a few psi to my IRC Mythos XC1's when I used to race with them as they have a very pliable/soft sidewall. The new IRC Mythos XC 2's apparently have a bigger air volume/wider casing.
It is still beyond me why so many mtb'ers insist on high pressures and narrow tires for "extra speed". It's just not true.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
goatman said:
Thanks Shiggy for the above info, that really makes sense. This is for tires WITH tubes?
Certainly feels like the sidewall construction also has an effect on the ideal range of psi inflation pressures for different tires(to prevent pinch flats that is). I tend to add a few psi to my IRC Mythos XC1's when I used to race with them as they have a very pliable/soft sidewall. The new IRC Mythos XC 2's apparently have a bigger air volume/wider casing.
It is still beyond me why so many mtb'ers insist on high pressures and narrow tires for "extra speed". It's just not true.
So far I am running about the same pressures for UST as standard tires and tubes. I tend to be able to use lower pressures in general than some other riders.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Mike B. said:
Nicely done.

It really is possible to use just a floor pump, do it all the time.
Uh, OK. I don't do it all the time, just twice and both times I used a floor pump. 20inch BMX tube as the rim strip and stan's. My Heckler has 321's and minions, no problem. My hardtail has 8 tracks and holyrollers, no problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.