Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening again all,

After fetching up my wheels from the basement this evening after replacing the valve stems, I noticed that my rear wheel is oozing some STANS from the sidewalls on both sides. I just did these wheels 2 nights ago. The rear is at 30 psi and the front at 28. The front is fine but the rear is as you see in the attached pics. I have a race next weekend. Will the tire hold till then do you think and through the race and why is it doing this?

Thanks

Sid

Attachments

· Registered
303 Posts
Evening again all,

After fetching up my wheels from the basement this evening after replacing the valve stems, I noticed that my rear wheel is oozing some STANS from the sidewalls on both sides. I just did these wheels 2 nights ago. The rear is at 30 psi and the front at 28. The front is fine but the rear is as you see in the attached pics. I have a race next weekend. Will the tire hold till then do you think and through the race and why is it doing this?

Thanks

Sid
Seems the tire is defective , have the same problem with some racing Ralph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tires I've had on this Intense for about a year and a half. Always run 28 in the rear and just after putting new STANS in the other night, this is seen. The tire is holding air great, just this oozey white sticky goo. Tire in my opinion still has plenty of tread as well.

Thanks man.

· Registered
171 Posts
I had the same problem. The owner of the bike shop, not where I bought the tires, said it’s normal. He said that the rubber is porous and the sealant is just filling the tiny holes. You might want to put more sealant in it and get one ride in before your race to make sure everything is plugged up.

· Registered
171 Posts
I had the same problem. The owner of the bike shop, not where I bought the tires, said it’s normal. He said that the rubber is porous and the sealant is just filling the tiny holes. You might want to put more sealant in it and get one ride in before your race to make sure everything is plugged up.

· Registered
1,704 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it if it is holding air well enough. Some thin sidewalls just do this, I've had it happen and it really doesn't seem to have any negative effect outside of spinning a little goo onto the sidewalls when you ride.

· Just Ride!
1,279 Posts
I have a set of WTB Trail Boss tires that have been oozing for 3 years. They also have several knobs that are partially ripped off and just keep going. My thought is that tires made without additional sidewall layers will do this.

· Registered
590 Posts
Stan's is very thin, "watery." I still use it and it normally works great, but with some tires I opt for orange sealant and have never had it do this. For instance, I know Specialized tires will likely ooze out the sidewalls, so I start with the orange. I had a racing ralph tubeless specific tire that leaked out the sidewalls so bad it wouldn't hold air for a ride.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.