Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My new Olympic wheelset with Hugi 240s hubs I ordered direct from Stan's arrived yesterday. Upon inspection, I noticed the rear hub has several scratches/gouges on the outside of the hub on the brake side. It appears that the scratches may have come from the tips of the spokes scraping on the hub body (outer cone) during construction. I don't think it will affect the performance of the wheel, but obviously it is disappointing to have a new set of wheels arrive damaged. The front hub has one scratch mark on it.

Would it be reasonable to send them back to Stan and insist that he rebuild them with new, unblemished hubs?

Attachments

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
It does seem a little picky, but I guess you are entitled to a "perfect" product when new. It is also scratched in a place that no trail debris would ever reach, so it is not like you are comlaining about something which will just get dinged on the first ride anyway.

I've built two sets of DT hubs up and it is a bit of a b!tch lacing them up due to the snug spoke drillings and the flange heights, but I didn't scratch anything.

That is a pretty pathetic oversight in their building anyway (even if ostensibly cosmetic) and I would worry more that it is indicative of the amount of care that went into the whole wheel. I'd at least bring it up with them and maybe voice concern over the rest of the build. Flakey in one area can mean flakey in others...

·
Registered
244 Posts
What I would do is take a picture of the problem, and send the photo to Stan. Maybe he would give you a discount. I wouldnt return the wheel myself, but a couple of extra bucks in my pocket would make me happy.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Angry Dad said:
What I would do is take a picture of the problem, and send the photo to Stan. Maybe he would give you a discount. I wouldnt return the wheel myself, but a couple of extra bucks in my pocket would make me happy.
good idea

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,464 Posts
They also could just send a new axle flange...

That would be the cheapest and fastest request. Get him to send some free goo!

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
There is always the black marker trick.

That sucks tho. You paid good money, you should get good product. Not like they were clearance floor demos or something.

·
sadly, like the element
400 Posts
Was going to ask you about that. They look like centerlock disk hubs with that mysterious round item beyond the normal spoke flanges, and that the scratched item looked like a cap over the centerlock mount.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.