Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think? I'm planning to change my rims to something more heavy duty.. my current rims are dt swiss XR4.1d which are light... Which rim is better for All mountain - light freeride, dowhill? I weigh 170 pounds geared up and do drops about 4-6 ft.. I like the stans ztr flow because it is light but I'm not sure if it's durable enough... hope you guys can help me tnx!!:thumbsup::D

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
dave_128 said:
I weigh 170 pounds geared up and do drops about 4-6 ft.. I like the stans ztr flow because it is light but I'm not sure if it's durable enough... hope you guys can help me tnx!!:thumbsup::D
From what I hear,you should have no issue at all with the "Flows".Actually these rims were recommended to me,because of my size,and body weight by other bigger riders that use them.I'm a Clydesdale,at 6'6" 275 pounds without gear,and am kind of tough on rims.I plan on using "Flows" on my next build up.I love the white as well."Very cool" I hit the drops just like you,,and need all the help I can get....:rolleyes: I don't Know anything about the DT Swiss rims,but they look like a pretty solid rim .I'm interested to see what others on the forum have to say about these two rims?........:thumbsup:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm also running the ZTR Flows been very very pleased with them. I was also I clyde at 240 pounds down to 190 now though. They have held up to all the drops and 350 miles of trail this year with zero damage or wobble. My buddy bought a set of Mavics and his had to be retrued half way through.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have two sets of the EX500 wheels. Both are solid. The newest needs a mild re-tension and true as they were just laced up a week ago and things are settling in. But in the three months I have had these wheels I have really liked them. Obviously more time on them will tell.

·
Ride and Smile
736 Posts
Just built up second set of flows. Love em. first set is straight and true and lasted better than the dt 6.1's I had prior. In fact the flows outlasted the 5.1s and the 6.1s. Only issue I have with them is that I don't trust any tire that is not UST. (had a couple blow offs with a big betty and kenda.)

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
I haven't ridden the dt swiss ones yet but have been on the ZTR flow rims for the last half of the summer. I have hit 15 foot gaps and about 10 foot drops with no problems. I have also bombed some fast rocky trails that are known for eating wheels alive. So far so good. I think the rear may need a true but i haven't retensioned them since they were built so its probably about time.

I am 185ish with gear and ride aggressive AM and FR. I wouldn't put them on a full DH bike but for AM and light FR they are solid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.