Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
NoTubes.com
600 Posts
You rang?

Well there are a few reasons for the change from the 355 to the Flow 650b. The first reason being that we are no longer producing the 355 model in any wheel size. The Crest model has replaced it in both 26" and 29". The tooling for the 355 still exists and if someone wanted to order five hundred they could be produced.

The second reason for the switch was based on the feedback from our dealers and customers calling in and requesting a wider rim for easy tubeless conversion in 650b. Seems many of the tires available are of the larger volume variety and many of the 650b bike conversions have been on longer travel setups where the Flow is a better match.

650b sales have been slow for us with one minimum order lasting 30 months. I'd love to see it take off a little more and maybe the Flow will do that for us. Then again maybe it won't. We're basically willing to take a chance, commit to the tooling and expense of inventory and see where this thing goes. Logistically, it costs twice as much and takes twice the space to ship & store 650b rims. They do not fit inside 29" rims and 26" rims do not fit inside of 650b rims. With space at a premium in both the shipping containers and our warehouse we have to choose wisely on what we bring in. Time will tell if we made the right decision I suppose.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Mike, thanks for the post. That makes a lot of sense. I'm glad that I have two wheelsets built with 355s already. :)

Hopefully sales pickup on 650b rims and in the future and NoTubes can offer more options. However until it does it makes perfect sense that you guys sell what people are willing to buy.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'm waiting on the Flows, too. At least one wheelset, and possibly two. I've got room in my garage if you need storage space, Mike ;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would like to say thanks for listening to the consumers and providing a product for which there is a growing demand. I hope it is a positive for all involved on both sides of the coin.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i cant wait, i really want to try a 650b up front..
im not up to speed on the "spoke calculator"..or lacing up one on myself, so i was jazzed about Universal Cycles on-line wheel-builder service.. a Blunt/X.9 hub/dt spokes and nipples/wtb weirwolf tire comes to 184$ and its 38 dollars to ship!! is this about the norm?

·
Registered
583 Posts
flows ...

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
yogiprophet said:
I talked to someone from Stan's Notubes today about the availability of their ZTR 355 rim and was told that it was discontinued indefinitely :mad:
He also told me it was being replaced by a different style, but would not tell me what it was. He either didn't know or couldn't tell yet he couldn't tell me which of those it was....very secretive. All he told me was that it would be this winter before they were for sale.
Does anyone have the inside scoop?
I've said this before on another post about the 355, and maybe this reflects why Stan's is changing the 355 model in general. This is a super light rim. Light is good for racing or for riders who are super light and/or ride easily on their wheels. We had two of our shop guys XC racing them in 650B version on their Spec Epics, and they had trouble with truing, dings, and a short life span. I killed one on the front of my Nomad in 2 weeks with no dead-on, big hits. It literally folded in a bermed corner. Yes...I realize this is not a rim for a Nomad or aggressive riding. I think Stan is replacing this rim with a slightly stronger rim because of an occurence of failure...even amongst many XC racers. Yeah, some of you are talking about riding a set of these rims for two years, and that's great. However, I think Stan's has seen enough issue with the 355 that they're replacing the design as a whole for all rim sizes. I think that says something. Maybe the 355 should have been sold as a race-day-only rim. The 355 can get challenged even in a 26'er size by a semi-aggressive rider. As the rim gets taller, as in 650B, the problem is aggravated. I wouldn't mind if Stan's kept manufacturing them, as I don't have to run them, but I think there's a very good reason Stan decided to change the design.

·
nothing relevant to say
1,372 Posts
Now that is great justification. Myself being 150# with my gear haven't had many problems with the rim. I use Sapim CX Rays for the build, and I just have to monitor my tension every few rides. But, being a good wheel builder I don't mind keeping them on track. I will likely never get rid of them, ever. Just try to keep them on my lightest XC race bike. Leave the rough rides for the Blunts and Vicious rims. :thumbsup:
good onya TNC.

·
NoTubes.com
600 Posts
TNC, I respect your opinion and you have direct experience with the rims which is not to be discounted. However, we produced the 355 in 29" for several years before the 650b model came along and while it is too light for some, it is just right for others. The new model taking over for the 355, the Crest, is lighter yet but has the same stiffness. It is currently produced in 26" and 29". If 650b picks up it's not outside the realm of possibility that the Crest 650b would be made.

The difference between a Crest and the 355 is in the sidewall of the rim cavity and a slight rounding of the outside corner (like our Podium model). Wall thickness, drilling specs, etc all remain the same.

Check my post above for the reasons we made the switch. I realize you don't know me from Adam but I can't be any more honest about how the decision was made.

*Edit to add that a while back, can't remember when exactly, I told SuspectDevice that if he made his split pivot FS bike 650b compatible I'd make sure there were Flows to put on it. When/if that bike comes, I'll be in line to buy one.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts