Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it kinda deafeats the purpose of Stans but some local racers here not wanting to deal with the mess of Stans or the puncture proneness of ultra light tubes have been using tubes with removeable valve core and puttng a dose of stan's in and having somre real good results.

Question: Anyone else doing this. What tubes are best? How much Stans?
How do you get the Stan's in the tube?

Didn't think to ask at the time but this spring is killing my tubes.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I have heard mixed results.

I think you are better off using a sealant designed for use with tubes, like Slime.

Conti and Schwalbe presta valve tubes have removable cores making them easy to fill with sealant.

Remember that tube sealants will not repair a pinch flat.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I overheard in a shop that someone put Stan's in their presta tubes by making a small "X" cut, using a funnel or the like to get the sealant in, then patching the hole.

Shiggy or anyone else heard of people using this effectively?

·
Registered
464 Posts
You can unthread the little nut on the presta valve, and very carefully drop the needle into the tube while grabing it through the tube. Then inject stans through the valve with a sqeeze bottle. Dont drop the needle valve thingy! Then push it back into the valve, rethread the nut, and mess up the ends of the threads so it doesn't fall off when you loosen it to add air.
If you do drop the needle into the tube, don't fret, a little patience and you can find it again. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Kronk said:
I overheard in a shop that someone put Stan's in their presta tubes by making a small "X" cut, using a funnel or the like to get the sealant in, then patching the hole.

Shiggy or anyone else heard of people using this effectively?
I have made a tiny slit in a tube (an X is not needed and could be weaker). Squirted Slime in straight from the bottle and patched the cut.

I have also heard of using a large veterinary hypodermic needle to inject the sealant through the tube and just let the stuff seal the hole.

Buying a Conti or Schwalbe tube with the removable valve is much easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.