Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone running stans in their studded Nokians? I have extreme 294's and the dreaded Salsa rim that doesn't like tubless. I was going to try to getto it. I would appreciate any personal experience on this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the Nokian 296's mounted tubeless on my Mavic Crosslands which are a UST rim. I don't know about the salsa rims, but I know that I needed a good compressor and a solid 2.5 scoops of Stans per tire initially to set it up tubeless. A lot of the sealant initially absorbes into the tire, but once they are saturated 2.5 scoops works out perfect. I am running around 22psi without any issues. Sorry to not be able to help with the rim situation though.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Does the sealant freeze? Would one be better off w/ a mix instead of only stan's?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Honestly who rides in the middle of winter in sub-freezing weather for more than a couple of hours...so I have yet to have the Stan's freeze in a noticeable manner. I keep my bike in a warm/protected space and don't have any concern, but even after a 2 hour 15*F ride I didn't have an issue. You also say a mix...well what would you mix it with that wouldn't defeat the purpose of Stan's....In my opinion it isn't an issue to be concerned with, as it is the Stan's will serve the purpose of allowing the bead to initially seal and to seal up any tire case pores since it is a non-tubeless tire.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went with a 2:1 mix of stans and slime. I don't know if either one of those freezes or not. I've always used just stans but after reading so many posts about mixing, I thought I would give it a try. I used 24" tubes on the 29er Salsa Delgados after taping them up with GB red elecrical tape. I think the red tape really helped because this time they aired right up. Last time I tried to convert these rims I had less than zero success--not even close to airing up. That was with Bontrager tires, though, and they fit much looser on the rim than the Nokians. I rode them about 2 hours at 18 degrees on the road and an unridden snowy trail. All went well and they lost no pressure. I still think it's the red tape.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts