Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of Stans Grails 6 or 8 weeks ago, then a few weeks later, decided to get a new bike. The new ride came with HEB Belgium Plus disc rims laced to DT 350 hubs. Now I have two pretty nice wheel sets but really only need one. Both are 32 spoke. I will use them tubeless and they will likely be used more for gravel or commuting than CX. Though I do occasional race CX.

Which one is a keeper and which is a seller. Admittedly, I don't know much about the Belgiums.

Thanks for your comments and insight!

·
Registered
59 Posts
they should both be good, I have a set of 32 spoke Belguim + laced to ultegra 6800 hubs, been a great, though not particularly light wheel set, am having a new SS rear wheel built up with this rim this week, with a paul hub I have on a extra wheel. The extra wide rim is awesome, and will race most of the rest of the season with this SS wheel and the front Ultegra wheel and will be trying it tubeless as well, I've heard great things about this and also the stans Grail rim going tubeless. I'd say keep both pairs, but the DT hubs are probably better then the Stans hubs not sure what the weight difference of these 2 wheels would be. I'm running rim brakes still myself and the belgium + has a nice brake track once you reset the brake pads for the extra width. Also there are several good reviews on the Adreness + prebuilt or Belgium + wheels, Gravel grinder news has a very good review that you should read. They ride great on gravel roads, and I will be doing that as well once cross season is over, even with tubes the extra wide rim rides really nice

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
If I had to keep one I'd keep the HEDs (even if the hubs were the same)

Would think about keeping the other set setup with a different type of tire though, especially if you have a paved commute.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I haven't ridden the Stan's, but my Disc Belgium+ with DT240's have taken gobs of gravel abuse and come up shining every time. Very very happy with them. Having two wheelsets is awesome if you're going to use that bike multiple ways though. I also have a set of Boyds with slicks on them for road use.

·
The devil is an angel too
7,330 Posts
Unless you need the money, I'd keep them both. Put a set of road tires in one and a set of cross tires on the other. Switch wheels depending on where you are riding that day.
Of course, to really enjoy the benefits of the second wheelset you will need to get a cassette and rotors for it.

·
Registered
11,671 Posts
I have a set of a23 32H laced to DT 350 hubs. The only thing i dont like is that i cant convert the hubs to run 9 & 10mm RWS thru axles for better rigidity. Looks like the grails are pretty convertible.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought a set of Stans Grails 6 or 8 weeks ago, then a few weeks later, decided to get a new bike. The new ride came with HEB Belgium Plus disc rims laced to DT 350 hubs. Now I have two pretty nice wheel sets but really only need one. Both are 32 spoke. I will use them tubeless and they will likely be used more for gravel or commuting than CX. Though I do occasional race CX.

Which one is a keeper and which is a seller. Admittedly, I don't know much about the Belgiums.

Thanks for your comments and insight!
Out of interest, which did you end up keeping? If you kept both, do you prefer one or the other?

I have some Grails and like them. I'm deciding between Grail and HED Belgium Plus for a new build. The Grails are way cheaper and a touch lighter. To be honest, I'm considering the HED's only for aesthetic reasons. I think the shot peened, matte black finish would look great with my new bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts