Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Stans freehub was "sticking" to my cassette and causing my rear derailleur hanger to "pull" and consequently knock my chain off the front chain ring. I just spoke with my LBS and they pulled the cassette off, and found the freehub/driver was pretty banged up, with metal shavings inside. There may be potential damage to the hub as well.

Has anyone had issues with the XX1 and Stans setup?

I've had the bike since August with multiple rides per week.

Thanks!

-Adam

·
West Chester, PA
4,952 Posts
The shops explanation makes no sense, the derailluer hanger isn't in play here. But I found the stan's rear hub to be problematic for me as well.

I had popping noises all the time from the pawls not seating themselves properly in the drive ring. It usually happened when i was in the 36T cog of my XX cassette on steep climbs. My amateur engineer conclusion was that the aluminum axle flexes under high torque, causing the freehub body to be pulled into the drive ring. There was marks and scrapes on my freehub that proved it.

Bottom line is that it's a light duty hub, made in taiwan with loose tolerances. With the torque that a gear combo like 30-42 can produce, it's only a matter of time. I screwed mine up running 30-36.

IMO, replacing the freehub is only a bandaid. The hub axle needs to be beefier.

·
Registered
14,894 Posts
The shops explanation makes no sense, the derailluer hanger isn't in play here. But I found the stan's rear hub to be problematic for me as well.

I can't be of any help to the OP but the shops explanation does make sense. A bad freehub can hang up when coasting causing the derailleur to pull forward.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I meant cage, apologies.

I've seen a bearing pulled from the freehub (not sure where its from actually) and it's definitely wobbly. The internal ring wobbles when pushed/pulled vs the outer metal ring.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just bought the conversion kit for the xd driver and I am having the same issue. I did not finalize assembly though as the free hub won't even spin when I snug down the cap and install the axle. It's a design issue. Has to be. I made two washers to move the free hub further out from the hub so the pawls won't hit the inside of the hub. This alleviates the free hub binding but then there is play in the bearing as it is not far enough into the bearing seat of the hub. I emailed and left a voicemail with Stans today. Hoping they have a fix.

The metal shavings in your situation are most likely from the sides of the pawls girding against the inside of the hub

1 - 7 of 7 Posts