Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running a set of wheels with these? What color hubs did you go with? Getting ready to buy some new wheels and trying to decide what color hubs (Hope Pro 2) to go with. Post your wheelset pics if you got 'em. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
i wanted to get some white flows for my current build, and changed my mind for that same reason, i think white will look like crap in no time if you do any serious riding...they look really nice though new, but just saying in the long run im not so sure..

·
wuss
2,379 Posts
I have white flows with purple I9 hubs / spokes. I agree, I would not go with white rims again. my main problem is that they get pretty bad scars from transporting on a bike rack that straps to the wheels (the bike moves around enough to give some ugly marks).

Sorry, the pic is quite blury (taken with a mobile phone). I later removed the stans stickers and think it looks better that way.

Attachments

·
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any wheel is going to end up looking crappy if you are a serious rider. I don't see how a dinged up white rim would look any worse than a dinged up black one.

david8613 said:
i wanted to get some white flows for my current build, and changed my mind for that same reason, i think white will look like crap in no time if you do any serious riding...they look really nice though new, but just saying in the long run im not so sure..

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
I'm planning to build some white Arch rims with silver spokes and black hubs to add to this bike.

The wheels on there have silver hubs and spokes with the black of course.

·
Craigez
22 Posts
Can't get used to it
The white in the rims....:nono:

Anyhow, would like to learn about the durability of the paint job

·
wuss
2,379 Posts
Well all I can say about the durability is that any time I take my bike on the (Thule) bike rack (straps over rims) it has clear marks on the rims.

Also regarding the comment above:

Any wheel is going to end up looking crappy if you are a serious rider. I don't see how a dinged up white rim would look any worse than a dinged up black one.
The marks on the white rim will be far clearer to the eye due to the strong contrast between white paint and dark scratches. The small differences between black / dark are far harder to notice. I've had the same bike rack with DT 5.1 rims, XT M770, Syncros DS23 and white flows. I could never notice any marks on the other rims. I have also had a lot of friends bikes on the rack and while I have not studied them, nobody ever mentioned seeing marks on the rims (could just be that I'm anal and they are not).

·
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ChrisJ said:
I'll have my wheels done by the end of the week. White Archs silver DT Spokes Black DT nipples and Black King hubs.
That should look pretty Sweet! Post pic(s) when they're done!

Jim

·
Registered
748 Posts
ChrisJ said:
Teaser shot I just got from my wheelbuilder. These are 29ers by the way. My first 29er.

https://flic.kr/p/4345671152
Can't get the image to so up when I use image tags.

There you go.

I ended up going black. All reports I have read said a claimed 30g from Stan, and a measured 50-70g gain, per wheel. I am not a weight weenie, but could not justify paying extra to add mass. Aesthetically, I may regret it, but oh well.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I like white rims. I dont mind scratches from riding, but I put a sock in between the rim and strap to protect it from the bike rack. Every couple months I take a car cleaner wax to the rim to take all the marks off them. They look pretty good after 2 years of riding. Ya, they have scratches but they still look good.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts