Votes: 63 63.0%
  • mavic crosstrail wheelset

Votes: 4 4.0%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i hate to do another which one thread but i dont know squat about wheels other than mine are really heavy and im hoping this will help my bike come alive and climb better,

im riding sun ditchwitches which i beleive are the same as rhynolite xl which are 600grams per rim. also heavy hubs. total wheel weight is 2500gram mark. these wheels are all around the same weight, and pricepoint. all are tubeless compatable, and would save me almost 2lbs of rolling weight.

sun charger pro wheels 1699g.
mavic crosstrails 1685g
stans flow rims ztr hubs 1725g

any opinions or owners with any opinions appreciated.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi,
I recently replaced my stock ditchwitch wheelset (yep 2500g) and am glad I did. I cant comment on the wheelsets you mentioned but I went with some hope hoops with flow rims and am more than happy with them. They weigh around 1880g and I also grabed some lighter rubber and my bike is a new beast. Definately worth the upgrade, you will love it! :D

·
Registered
761 Posts

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I'd cross anything sun off your list because of the proprietary spokes which they apparently don't sell.

Normally I don't complain about straight-pull spokes, because their availability is more of a hypothetical problem (see how long it takes to get easton spokes, for example. You can probably get them quicker than your LBS can get normal DTs if they don't already have the right size)
But not Sun-Ringle. I broke a spoke on my charger pro, and have been totally unable to get a replacement. It's been nearly a year now.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd cross anything sun off your list because of the proprietary spokes which they apparently don't sell.

Normally I don't complain about straight-pull spokes, because their availability is more of a hypothetical problem (see how long it takes to get easton spokes, for example. You can probably get them quicker than your LBS can get normal DTs if they don't already have the right size)
But not Sun-Ringle. I broke a spoke on my charger pro, and have been totally unable to get a replacement. It's been nearly a year now.
man that sucks. Well I gonna have to look into that with the guys at my Lbs. Its hard to imagine you cant get them from sun directly atleast? If thats the case it does help narrow things down. Like the crossmax there is only 24 spokes on the charger. I wonder how sturdy that can be also?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I recently upgraded my Bontrager Rythm Pro's to ZTR Flow's and can tell a difference in the increased stiffness of the Flow's. Not sure on the weight but a good upgrade as far as I am concerned.

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
I'm a big fan of Flows but there's a new sheriff in town.
I built my last wheelset with Hadleys and WTB Frequency i23s.
WTB » Products - Wheels - Rims - All Mountain - Frequency i23 TCS » WTB

Awesome rims, the 4D drilling design really is a game changer IMO.
Locks the bead in like a vise for tubeless.
+1 I too just have had a set of the i23's laced to CK hubs. Total weight is 1880g including tape and valve stems. Builder was impressed with the rigidity and ease of the build, and they are supposed to be as stout as a Flow.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

i went searching and found some spokes at Sun Ringle Pro Wheelset Straight Pull Spokes | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

·
Registered
267 Posts
Note that the Stans Flow rims are 28mm wide while the i23s are only, you guessed it 23mm wide. So if you like a healthy girth to your tire and a good contact patch, you might want to think about your choice a bit.

·
Registered
761 Posts
+1 I too just have had a set of the i23's laced to CK hubs. Total weight is 1880g including tape and valve stems. Builder was impressed with the rigidity and ease of the build, and they are supposed to be as stout as a Flow.
Like I said, the 4D drilling adds so much.
With 4D drilling, when they drill out the spoke hole, it isn't just angled from left to right side like other rims, it's also angle for front and back for leading or trailing spokes. That means the nipple is perfectly seated in the rim with no side stress.
I found out how much difference this makes by accident. I screwed up and started my second set of trailing spokes on the wrong side of the key spoke. Normally, this would just cause a cross above the valve. In this case, as I tightened the spokes, I could see a noticeable bend in the spoke, right at the nipple. The angled drilling was forcing the nipple to keep that angle, even when the spoke was pulling it the opposite way.
It created an exaggerated view of how much difference that angled drilling makes

·
Registered
761 Posts
Note that the Stans Flow rims are 28mm wide while the i23s are only, you guessed it 23mm wide. So if you like a healthy girth to your tire and a good contact patch, you might want to think about your choice a bit.
No, they are the same width. The "23" in the WTBs stands for 23mm inside the rim, Flows actually measure 22.6mm inside

·
Registered
48 Posts
I looked at the Sun Ringle too - but the Stan's Flows had a much better price point for 450 for the set vs 750 for the Sun Ringle Pros. Love the Stan's I've put on 3 different tires and had no issues running them tubeless. Hard to beat the flows for the price point.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I looked at the Sun Ringle too - but the Stan's Flows had a much better price point for 450 for the set vs 750 for the Sun Ringle Pros. Love the Stan's I've put on 3 different tires and had no issues running them tubeless. Hard to beat the flows for the price point.
i can get the charger pros for 550. where can you get the stans flows for $450? normally there about $540

·
Registered
48 Posts
i can get the charger pros for 550. where can you get the stans flows for $450? normally there about $540
You may be right - I got them from jensonusa.com about a month ago - looks like they're $515.00 on there now. I think i got the numbers mixed up sorry!

Bikebling.com sells the sun ringle stuff you could prob get them even less with the 15OFF300 coupon code.

I haven't bought anything from bikebling yet myself.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Dont froget you can get hope pro 2 evo hubs with flow rims for under $400, they are great, but I am biased :D.

·
Registered
642 Posts
What spokes did you have your wheels built with? I think i have decided on this combo, but will use aerolite spokes to save a little more weight.

·
Viva la Vida!
791 Posts
Ok now let me trough in another set of wheels in to this discussion.
How about SunRingle Charger Pro VS Crankbrothers Cobalt 2 29"

sun charger pro wheels 1699g.
Crankbrothers Cobalt 2 29" 1773g

???

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
What spokes did you have your wheels built with? I think i have decided on this combo, but will use aerolite spokes to save a little more weight.
DT Comp's. Are the aerolite's bladed? I though about those too, but decided against them based on reports of them breaking more easily from rock strikes, which are common where I ride.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts