Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Total noob question, but here goes...

I'm new to tubeless and just received a Hope Hoops / Flow wheelset. Wheels came with rim strip that I'm pretty sure is not tubeless compatible as it appears to be cloth, is narrow sitting only in the valley. The inner rim surfaces have a few pairs of holes (looks like very small drillings) set wide, directly across from each other on each side of the rim strip/valley.

Is the legit tubeless rim strip supposed to cover these little holes?

I plan to gorilla tape it and use cut out valves, need to know how wide it should be.

Helps is much appreciated...

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,453 Posts
My favorite tape is "strapping tape". The kind that has the long running fibers in it. You can find it at pretty much any store that carries packing tape, including Wally World. Cheap.

Get the wide roll and cut to width. It tears very easily, width-wise.

Only issue is once it sets in place, its very hard to get off.

Thicker tapes have an edge that can peel up when you un-seat a tire bead. Not so much with a thinner strapping tape.

Strapping Tape & Dispenser, 2" x 10yds, 1 1/2" Core - Office Supply King

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
My favorite tape is "strapping tape". The kind that has the long running fibers in it. You can find it at pretty much any store that carries packing tape, including Wally World. Cheap.

Get the wide roll and cut to width. It tears very easily, width-wise.

Only issue is once it sets in place, its very hard to get off.

Thicker tapes have an edge that can peel up when you un-seat a tire bead. Not so much with a thinner strapping tape.

Strapping Tape & Dispenser, 2" x 10yds, 1 1/2" Core - Office Supply King
No trimming required.

Amazon.com: Scotch Film Strapping Tape 8898 Ivory, 24 mm x 55 m (Pack of 1): Industrial & Scientific

1 - 7 of 7 Posts