Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After tearing out the third valve stem from my Stan's rim strip, I'm ready to try something new. I've been spoiled by running tubeless, so going to Oliver's Yestubes is not really an option. I'd like to try the Eclipse system, but Light-Bikes is no longer carrying the kits.

The Eclipse website appears to only sell spare parts, and the costs of ordering from overseas looks prohibitively expensive. Does anyone know of another source to get the Eclipse kit in the US?

Alternatively, does anyone have a solution for repairing Stan's rimstrips with torn valves?

·
old enough to know better
300 Posts
DT Swiss Tubeless Kit

Legend has it that the DT Swiss Tubeless Kit is made by Eclipse. Hammerhead Bikes in Austin carries them.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've got two kits...

I've got two kits I mounted for a week then took off, went back to tubes for a while. They are in the original cases with the instructions. They are just missing a little bit of the two sided tape but there should be enough left for two wheels. Let me know if you want them, I'll let them go for about 50 bucks for both. They were mounted on DT 4.1 disc rims.

burger
QUOTE=baumer]After tearing out the third valve stem from my Stan's rim strip, I'm ready to try something new. I've been spoiled by running tubeless, so going to Oliver's Yestubes is not really an option. I'd like to try the Eclipse system, but Light-Bikes is no longer carrying the kits.

The Eclipse website appears to only sell spare parts, and the costs of ordering from overseas looks prohibitively expensive. Does anyone know of another source to get the Eclipse kit in the US?

Alternatively, does anyone have a solution for repairing Stan's rimstrips with torn valves?[/QUOTE]

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,382 Posts
baumer said:
After tearing out the third valve stem from my Stan's rim strip, I'm ready to try something new. I've been spoiled by running tubeless, so going to Oliver's Yestubes is not really an option. I'd like to try the Eclipse system, but Light-Bikes is no longer carrying the kits.

Alternatively, does anyone have a solution for repairing Stan's rimstrips with torn valves?
I'd question why your valves are tearing off in the first place. Just a guess, but you likely have a sharp edge of your rim valve hole exposed which is cutting the valve stem at the tube junction. Cover the value hole with straping tape then poke a hole in it. Push the frayed tape into the interior of the rim, covering up the sharp edges of the value hole.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I questioned whether I had a sharp edge on the rim valve hole the first time it happened, but I have dremeled and taped over the hole on two other rims (a mavic 517 and 717) with the same failure. I suspect some of it has to do with needing to use a mini pump on the trail to reinflate the tire after it has "burped" air and the added stress it causes on that area.

I spoke with Stan himself about a year ago after my first valve stem tore, and he said this could be a cause, as well as people overtightening the valve stem nut (causing him to briefly make rimstrips with unthreaded valve stems which didn't work either).

Then again, I may have just done a lousy job with prepping my rims...

·
Numerous wiring problems.
86 Posts
baumer said:

I've been using the Eclipse kit for around six months now and it's excellent. I'd bear in mind though, that the Eclipse kits are rim specific - see Just Riding Along - who are the UK retailer. Although the DT kits are actually made by Eclipse, it may be that they won't fit you rims as well as the specific Eclipse one.

·
Registered
601 Posts
baumer said:

Contact Nino of the weight weenies board on [email protected], he is the resident Eclipse expert and is great to deal with. Last time I chacked he sells kits for 60 euro a pair. Also DT and Eclipse kits are one and same thing (except for packaging).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts