Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy crap, I never though I could get my 29.5# stock bike down to 26.6 pounds. First of all, I want to thank Larry M. (Ventanarama) at http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com/ for building me up a super sweet pair of race wheels. I've been sitting on these rims now for almost a year and Larry totally rearranged his schedule to help me out to get these before this weekend's Laramie Range Endure 111K in Wyoming. I am saving a pound of rotational weight and adding 8 spokes in the process with this new wheelset, 270 grams in rubber, and 400 grams of wtb tubes. These aired right up with the yellow tape, valve stem, and one scoop of sealant per tire. As you can image I am thrilled with the weight savings…it is VERY substantial and will be huge racing 75 miles.

Wheel Specs:
Stans Olympic Rims
14/15 spokes w/ green alloy nips
WTB Laserlite disk hubs
=1680 grams

So the bike was over 27.5 pounds a few days ago, which is fairly light for a 292. I swapped new wheels, Crow tires w/ sealant, WTB Devo saddle, and Niner Flat Top 9 bar (I love it…wide with lots of sweep!)

Wheels and tubeless first impressions: well, All I have is a quick warehouse and road test - but holy $hit are these wheels light and spin up FAST! These are replacing Mavic speedcity wheels and Maxxis ignitors which are not exactly a porker setup. These tires are pretty skinny, but as someone reported in the "any crow reports thread" I think these tires and 100mm front/rear travel will compliment each other very nicely.

Tonight I take it out for an hour to spin….but with this build I am excited what is happening technology-wise and that there is hope of building light, raceable 29" bikes.

Attachments

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,774 Posts
2melow said:
I've been sitting on these rims now for almost a year and Larry totally rearranged his schedule to help me out to get these before this weekend's Laramie Range Endure 111K in Wyoming. I am saving a pound of rotational weight and adding 8 spokes in the process with this new wheelset, 270 grams in rubber, and 400 grams of wtb tubes
Looks to be great tire/wheel/bike set-up for this course -- it will be good on all of the climbs and many of the downhills. Traction is generally not a problem in Laramie. The really rocky stuff is isolated enough so you can take it easy if you want -- but maybe you won't have to. I never look cross-eyed at "cross tire" tread on 70+ mile junkets -- it's the mega-tread bomber tires at 800g each that get me snickering...

The weather's looking good for this weekend, but hot at ~90 for a high!. Light winds are forecast, but a light wind in Wyoming might mean a high wind warning in other parts of the world...

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
2Mellow...is that a Large or XL Sugar 292? How tall are you? Body proportions etc. I am currently riding a Large Sugar Plus with an inch extra of spacers under the stem. I am 6'1" and am seriously considering a 292/3 frame. Just not sure what size to go with.
Thanks

·
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm just shy of 6'3" and have a 35" inseam - this bike is a large. The XL fit but the Top Tube was WAAAY stretched out for my style and I would have had to run like a stubby hustler stem.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
funkenstein said:
seeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaatpossssssssssssssssssst :skep:
Kinda scary ain't it? I am really surprised that at 6'3" you are on a Large, not an XL. What's your inseam? I am 6' and my inseam is 32". I was of the opinion that I should try an XL frame next. I wouldn't want to go any higher with my seat. Of course I do run H bars.

·
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, lets just say on the XL my arms were locked with an 80mm stem. This setup is pretty sweet, I've been riding this bike for a year with zero issues.

·
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey PeT,

Yea, this is a VERY nice tire for the Enduro course.

I put about 15 miles on it last night around Pineridge and Maxwell….and lets just say this tire seems like it is unfair it is so fast. I was 1 to 2 clicks lower climbing and the tire seems like it just loves the hardpack around here.

My only concern would be before taking the service road down and where the course narrows to doubletrack into the Windy-Windy section (I think that’s what it is called. I can see carrying so much speed down the hill to the rough baby-head section of doubletrack will take a bit more finesse and concentration, as well as the big rough descent. I’ll make up stupid time though on all of the service roads and doubletrack though it’s gonna be silly.

But wow, it this tire ever fast. I was able to rail it almost as fast into turns as the ignitors (our trails are pretty hardpacked right now) and I rode through enough rock garden sections last night to feel confident enough that this tire can go through anything Laramie has. I did add another scoop of stan’s though just to be on the safe side. ;)

Oh yea, Henry and his wife are going to do the Telluride race instead, so the tandem category is wide open I think for you guys.

Attachments

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
2melow said:
Well, lets just say on the XL my arms were locked with an 80mm stem. This setup is pretty sweet, I've been riding this bike for a year with zero issues.
Best of rides on your race this weekend, 2melow. Bike looks sweet and I will be interested to hear how the Crows perform for you in the Laramie race. I love the tires myself and have been racing them in the "mountainless" land of Iowa on my Dos Niner (with tubes thus far).

I might even race them on the Sugar 293 next month in a 50 mile race after seeing your pictures and reading the description of the Laramie Enduro on their website.

Enjoy the race and report back to us how it went.

BB

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,774 Posts
2melow said:
Yea, this is a VERY nice tire for the Enduro course. ... I'll make up stupid time though on all of the service roads and doubletrack though it's gonna be silly.
I'll remeber that for the year my daughter says "Enough! I'm doing it on my own" or "Enough, I'm not doing it at all!" -- then I'll hook myself up with some Crows.

2melow said:
Oh yea, Henry and his wife are going to do the Telluride race instead, so the tandem category is wide open I think for you guys.
We just signed in and were told we were the only tandem pre-registered -- so they gave us plate #1. Even if we were fit, I don't see us touching Henry and his wife. I'll be looking for you at the race.

Peter

·
climb
2,293 Posts
2melow said:
It sounds like you're built like me more legs then arms. People think I should be on an XL, and I can't get my butt behind the saddle :).

I won't be at the enduro this year, good luck!!!

·
wrench
443 Posts
Yo 2Melow- Good luck this weekend. Kick butt!

I got my 29 Race Day together. You will have to ride it some time. I love it. It is the Ultimate (pun intended) for me. You gonna make it out to Snowmass Norba?

Later on.

Matto

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.