Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Ride the dream
Joined
·
1,381 Posts
For tubes, goo (slime-type) sealants tend to be better than runny liquid latex (stans-type) sealants in my experience.

Stans does well at sealing sidewalls, but you'll find alot of people running a mixture of stans and slime in their tubeless-ready (or converted) tires, as the stans seals the sidewalls better and the slime seals punctures better.
 

·
Five is right out
Joined
·
3,176 Posts
boomn said:
Yep. Stan's or any of the other tubeless sealants work well in tubes as well
Not necessarily- I've used Cafe Latex in 2 tubes, and it does squat. The second tube was under controlled testing (sitting at home and doing tests with pins) and the sealant completely failed to work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,440 Posts
womble said:
Not necessarily- I've used Cafe Latex in 2 tubes, and it does squat. The second tube was under controlled testing (sitting at home and doing tests with pins) and the sealant completely failed to work.
this stinks, I was just getting read to buy some of this brand :(

any chance something else was going on besides it simply not working?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,440 Posts
womble said:
Not necessarily- I've used Cafe Latex in 2 tubes, and it does squat. The second tube was under controlled testing (sitting at home and doing tests with pins) and the sealant completely failed to work.
I was going to use this brand...

did you find that the stans worked in the tube?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,762 Posts
Stans or other...

similar type sealants designed for tubeless conversion use do not work well in tubes! The reason being is they have a high volatility rate, i.e. the liquids that suspend the latex and other components evaporate quickly. This is to help seal a standard tire for tubeless use, and to quickly seal punctures etc. The high evaporation rate of the liquid components requires that the sealant be replenished on a regular basis and is the reason that after a few months you find a wad of congealed latex in the tire when you open it up to add more sealant.

The problem arises from this little ball of congealed sealant. A tube can not be opened up and the congealed latex removed, which is a MUST with these sealants. It's part of the recomended maintenance of a tubeless conversion set up like Stans. Eventually you'd end up with a tube full of little koosh balls (or one big koosh ball). That and Stans really doesn't seal tube puncutures very well. But then it's not designed to.

As the others have noted, something like Slime or other thicker sealants that have a much longer life span are a better choice for tubed set ups. The bottom line is, Stans or other "tubeless conversion: sealants simply aren't designed to be used in tubes. So they don't work well (if at all) in a tubed set up. Find and use a sealant that is specifically recommended for use in tubes. You'll get much better results.

Good Dirt
 

·
Five is right out
Joined
·
3,176 Posts
mx_599 said:
this stinks, I was just getting read to buy some of this brand :(

any chance something else was going on besides it simply not working?
Well, I triedtrying to get CL to seal in two tubes. Once on a ride, once when I was testing at home. I did everything I could think of- kept spinning the wheel, positioned the pinhole at different positions, kept adding air. Tried the tue in a tyre, tried the tube outside the tyre. Nothing worked- the CL just sprayed or dribbled out.

I've got photos on post 42 here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=512192

The annoying part was that the distributor posted on another MTBR thread that CL could be used in a tube, so I bought it (it was pretty expensive as it needed international shipping). When I questioned him later on another thread, he never responded to my direct question.

I just read a review in Mountain Biking Australia that said that CL didn't seal well for tyres either for holes above a very small size. Basically, it's just too runny for bigger holes in tyres or small holes in tubes.

On the other hand, some mtbr posters seem to have had good luck with CL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,440 Posts
Squash said:
similar type sealants designed for tubeless conversion use do not work well in tubes! The reason being is they have a high volatility rate, i.e. the liquids that suspend the latex and other components evaporate quickly. This is to help seal a standard tire for tubeless use, and to quickly seal punctures etc. The high evaporation rate of the liquid components requires that the sealant be replenished on a regular basis and is the reason that after a few months you find a wad of congealed latex in the tire when you open it up to add more sealant.

The problem arises from this little ball of congealed sealant. A tube can not be opened up and the congealed latex removed, which is a MUST with these sealants. It's part of the recomended maintenance of a tubeless conversion set up like Stans. Eventually you'd end up with a tube full of little koosh balls (or one big koosh ball). That and Stans really doesn't seal tube puncutures very well. But then it's not designed to.

As the others have noted, something like Slime or other thicker sealants that have a much longer life span are a better choice for tubed set ups. The bottom line is, Stans or other "tubeless conversion: sealants simply aren't designed to be used in tubes. So they don't work well (if at all) in a tubed set up. Find and use a sealant that is specifically recommended for use in tubes. You'll get much better results.

Good Dirt
but wouldn't there be less evaporation and longer life in a tube? or not really?

what if you do not mind changing a tube every so often after the latex balls up? do you still think it doesn't seal as well in a tube?
 

·
err, 27.5+
Joined
·
4,928 Posts
Squash said:
The problem arises from this little ball of congealed sealant. A tube can not be opened up and the congealed latex removed, which is a MUST with these sealants. It's part of the recomended maintenance of a tubeless conversion set up like Stans. Eventually you'd end up with a tube full of little koosh balls (or one big koosh ball). That and Stans really doesn't seal tube puncutures very well. But then it's not designed to.
Yep, I have used it in a pinch. But for long term ease of use the slime is better in tubes.
 

·
Former Bike Wrench
Joined
·
15,976 Posts
ireland57 said:
I see ghettos under your post. Is that what you use as your sealant?
I use my own homebrew formula

1 part mold builder latex
1 part slime for tubeless tires
2 parts windshield washer fluid (ammonia and methanol free)
some green glitter for extra chunkulation

:thumbsup:
 

·
Craigez
Joined
·
22 Posts
I'm the only one with problems with inner tubes and Stans.
I've tried it on bontrager xxx lite but I had no luck. punctures and more punctures...no success on inner tubes...
That's why I have moved to Tubeless :thumbsup:
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top