Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I'm in the mist of completing a new bike build. Soma B-Side. Very excited!

I have 27.5 Stan's Arch wheelset. Came with yellow tape and stem pre-installed. I bought Panaracer Swoop 27.5 tires to go with the wheels. They are 2.1s and 60tpi.

There is very little info on the Swoop tire out there that I could find, but I have now run by several forum posts on the net stating that it might not be best to try to mount Panaracer tires tubeless to a Stan's rim.

I had previously looked at Stan's site and although Panaracer brand was not on the approved tubeless list, they were not on the not allowed list, either.

I don't expect someone to to have specific experience with my tire/rim combo, but can someone tell me if it is okay to run a Panaracer tire on a Stan's Arch rim, in general? I would appreciate hearing from folks with some actual experience.

So, my choices are to run the tires tubeless or to use tubes. This was to be my first venture into the tubeless realm. I have no prior experience with running tubeless and don't want to make my first attempt on tires that are not suitable for the job. I am at my budget on this project, though, so I need these to be my tires be it tubed or tubeless...

Thanks in advance for any input!

J.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello. No one here was racing to give an answer so I contacted Stan's directly. Here is their email response to me:

Swoop is a new tire and we have not had any reports that it will not work tubeless on our rims. Panaracer mountain bike tires can be run tubeless on our rims. I would try to run them tubeless. Max inflation is 40 psi. Most likely the tire will be very porous being a standard tire. Make sure to shake the selant into the sidewall of the tire very well and check it with very light soap suds to find all the pin hole leaks.

Maybe this info will benefit someone in the future...

Thanks-

J.

·
Registered
619 Posts
...I would try to run them tubeless. Max inflation is 40 psi. Most likely the tire will be very porous being a standard tire. Make sure to shake the selant into the sidewall of the tire very well and check it with very light soap suds to find all the pin hole leaks.

Maybe this info will benefit someone in the future...

Thanks-

J.
Hello from the future. It’s an old thread, but maybe it’ll bring wheeljack or other Swoopers out of the woodwork. Just curious about setting the Swoop up tubeless. Curious enough that I tried it. Not on a Stan’s rim and using Orange Seal, but the info Stan’s provided still applies. Numerous pinhole leaks in their sidewall. Seemed to seal up well enough, and it rode fine for a short ride, but was flat a couple of hours later. Pumped it up and rode the 8 miles home, but it was almost flat as I got to the door. Added more sealant, and held air overnight. We’ll see. I like these tires, and I want to take them on a multi-day trip, but I need to be able to trust them, so I’m wondering if there’s any long term, tubeless experiences, and hopefully some success stories.

·
Registered
10,014 Posts
Tubeless ready high quality tires are so abundant and affordable, I wouldn't bother with something you know leaks.

From what I've seen, porous sidewalls don't really seal, ever. They might hold for a while, but will always return to leaking out.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Tubeless ready high quality tires are so abundant and affordable, I wouldn't bother with something you know leaks.

From what I've seen, porous sidewalls don't really seal, ever. They might hold for a while, but will always return to leaking out.
Valid point. I don't have any experience going tubeless with non-tubeless tires. The front seems to be doing fine after giving it a second helping of sealant. I tried to convert my rear tire to tubeless, but I think I messed up the rim tape in the process. The tire seated and seemed to be holding air, but the air and sealant were escaping through the valve stem and at least one of the spoke holes. I will probably have to retape that rim before I put another tubeless tire on it.

I'm not in the market for another set of tires, though. I'm sure that's an option, but I picked these tires up relatively cheaply and used them very briefly over the winter. Since then they've been taking up space in my closet, and I have a trip coming up where I'll be 90% pavement free for a week, so I thought I'd give them another shot at being useful. Don't really need another set of knobby tires for these rims. Don't really need them on this trip which will be rail trail and canal trail, but I have them and there is potential for the canal trail at least to get muddy, so why not? So the decision isn't really about these tires or another set. It's about these tires tubeless or these tires with tubes. I've been enjoying being tubeless for a few years now, so I figure if anyone has had luck running these tubelss, it'd be worth the effort.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Set up the rear last night once I replaced my rim tape. It went together and aired up fine with minor sealant at a small section of the bead and none from the sidewall. Of course this is my second attempt on this tire, so if there were any sidewall issues, they might have been sealed up during the first attempt. The front has been holding air since it's 2nd helping of sealant. As long as they don't deflate too much during the next few days, I'll likely leave them as is until I finish my next trip. I will be carrying a couple of tubes, though.

·
Registered
619 Posts
And one more report, for posterity. After the initial set-up, and a second helping of sealant for both tires, they worked great. I rode them a little around town to make sure there were no obvious issues, deflated them when I boxed up the bike for air travel, reinflated them when I reassembled the bike: No issues, no extra sealant needed. Rode them for 300+ miles of rail trail and canal trail. No issues. Tires held air. I considered adding a little more air to the rear at some point, but it never happened and the pressure never got low enough to force the issue. They have been taken off the rims for now because my daily riding doesn't benefit from the Swoops, but I had no issues running them tubeless for hundreds of miles. Sidewall does seem thin, and, as noted, there were obvious leaks in one that needed sealing. They might not hold up if you're going to scraping the sidewall regularly. I was on some pretty wide trails, and all the tires had to deal with was mud.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts