Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of mavic crossland ust wheels and a pair of specialized roll-x non ust tires. What do I need to set up the non ust tires on my ust wheels? I have the stans no tubes sealant already. Do I need rim strips as well or can I just use the tubeless rim strip?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stans replied

At a minimum I would suggest picking up some of our UST compatible valve stems and some sealant. The valve stems have a removable core which can make for easier inflation and the ability to add sealant through the valve stem. If you have trouble inflating the standard tires on your UST rims or if you experience a lot of burping of air pressure in heavy side load situations, then you might want to pick up some of our standard or Olympic rim strips which will improve the seal. The standard strips will give a tighter seal than the Olympic but they also weigh about 18g more for each strip.

Hope that helps

So from their reply it sounds to me like I can just take my tires, put some stans in them and put them on my ust wheel and go even though my tires are non-ust. If that doesn't work get the standard strips and they reccomend that I use their valves but I don't have to.

So why do they make ust tires?

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,137 Posts
UST tires are intended to be run without any sealant

CHSAD said:
At a minimum I would suggest picking up some of our UST compatible valve stems and some sealant. The valve stems have a removable core which can make for easier inflation and the ability to add sealant through the valve stem. If you have trouble inflating the standard tires on your UST rims or if you experience a lot of burping of air pressure in heavy side load situations, then you might want to pick up some of our standard or Olympic rim strips which will improve the seal. The standard strips will give a tighter seal than the Olympic but they also weigh about 18g more for each strip.

Hope that helps

So from their reply it sounds to me like I can just take my tires, put some stans in them and put them on my ust wheel and go even though my tires are non-ust. If that doesn't work get the standard strips and they reccomend that I use their valves but I don't have to.

The original intention of UST tires was to run them as-is without any sealant... so they have a thicker sidewall and a beefier bead... this makes them heavier. But they may be more secure on the rim. If you search around for a while you can find lots of info on this... some contradictions here and there too. This topic will be debated forever and a day.

·
Registered
245 Posts
CHSAD said:
Because standard tires just aren't made to handle the stress in the sidewall area when run tubeless. You will see very mixed reviews on the subject. I ride with guys who've had both raving success and major failures trying to go tubeless with standard tires. Some tires can handle it better than others. The biggest gain of tubeless is running lower pressures safely. If you were to consitently try to run standard tires tubeless at 30psi, you will have a strong possibility of shredding or blowing out the sidewalls. The sidewalls of UST tires are much heavier duty to handle the load. They also have a thicker tread area to handle thorns better.

Consider Stan's to be a method of converting standard rims tubeless. When using UST tires, the Stan's sealant is still a good idea for extra puncture protection.

·
Registered
55 Posts
BrandonJ said:
Consider Stan's to be a method of converting standard rims tubeless. When using UST tires, the Stan's sealant is still a good idea for extra puncture protection.
Ditto that!! I've been running UST tires & Rims & Stans saved my behind in a race this weekend. I heard/felt my rear wheel puncture on a downhill and could feel the stans spraying out on the back of my leg for just a few revolutions. Then it quit. I only lost about 10 psi of pressure and was so close to the finish that I never even stopped. Upon further inspection, this was about a 1/4 inch long puncture. With tubes, that would have cost me the race. Without Stans, at a minimum I would have had to stopped and plugged the hole to get enough air pressure to finish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts