Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been lurking here in the background for a bit and finally pulled the trigger on an Asylum from Speedgoat. Just arrived last week (much to the surprise of my wife) and I am in the process of getting it dialed in with stem height, saddle height, etc. Check the 6/25 build at http://www.speedgoat.com/gallery.asp So far so good.

One thing that surprised me was that I ponied up for the Stan's 355 29er wheels after having great success with the 347 Olympics on my 26 inch bike. When the new bike arrived, I thought the wheels felt beefy. Chalked it up to the bigger wheel/tire combo. On its maiden voyage, I flatted. Ug! Lo and behold, there are tubes in them thar wheels!

I shot the kind folks at Speedgoat a note, asking why the tubeless wheels I ordered were sent to me not only with tubes, but did not include tape, rim strips, and the Olympic valves....and their response was (in part):
"First, we never ship a bike with a tubeless
setup. Can't do it because we need to deflate the tires partially to ship,
and then all the Stan's glop would run out and get all over everything.
Also, you're actually the first person who's expected his Stan's rims would
have meant no tubes. Lots of us out there (myself included) like Stan's
rims, but would never run them without tubes."

huh???
There was substantial explanation for use of tubes etc., and I have confidence that the good folks at speedgoat will take care of me (I think they're top notch), but I found this odd. Why would the goo leak if you set the tire up right? I digress...

As a newbie to the 29er clan, perhaps my expectations were too high, but this seemed odd to me...I'm going to get my grimy paws on some rim strips one way or the other and give them a shot tubeless (I'm not a big feller...160 or so geared up).

So...do people really run the Stan's wheels primarily with tubes? Am I crazy for expecting the tubeless build? Will it be worth the effort to get em going tubeless?
Thanks in advance...
beesee

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Shipping inflated goo-tubeless wheels will always be tricky, especially when partially deflated to fit a box. IMO you should have gotten strips and/or valves with the wheels though, unless those are to be bought seperately.
It not a 100% foul-proof sytem. It's a high-performance system.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i run tubeless...

i have been using stans strips on my 29er since the day i got it. no problems. i do not have stans rims. i have several different wheel sets all set up tubeless. i use a 26" or 29" stans strip, depending upon the bead hook on the rims. i have easy sealed up some road rims and used them for months also.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
yes

beesee said:
So...do people really run the Stan's wheels primarily with tubes? Am I crazy for expecting the tubeless build? Will it be worth the effort to get em going tubeless?
Thanks in advance...
beesee
Yes a lot of people do run these with tubes...always.
No you are not crazy, but if you did not specifically state that you want tubeLESS, then you probably should not have expected it.
I think it would be worth the effort to go tubeless, but that is a personal choice.

Tubeless will not align the planets and file your taxes, but it is pretty great for a lot of us. You will never know until you try for yourself. The advice I typically give, is do some research, and be sure you understand all the directions and videos (from the website). The under educated (in terms of directions for this product installation) people often get the greatest frustrations with tubeless transformation.

·
wawe member
892 Posts
Well the strips/stems, tape and goop are not included with the rims, so if you didn't pay for or order them...

It's not surprising that they don't ship wheels setup with Stan's, even when properly setup it can leak when you let the air out.

I would recommend just getting the valve stem and yellow tape to use on the 355's. No need for a strip on Stan's rims. (but you can also use your old 26" strips if you want to.)

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
Black Bart said:
Well the strips/stems, tape and goop are not included with the rims, so if you didn't pay for or order them...

It's not surprising that they don't ship wheels setup with Stan's, even when properly setup it can leak when you let the air out.

I would recommend just getting the valve stem and yellow tape to use on the 355's. No need for a strip on Stan's rims. (but you can also use your old 26" strips if you want to.)
Mine came with the yellow tape, and valve core, that is how they should come. Wierd that they did not include it, at least.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a set of ZTR 355 FR rims and they came with neither rim strip, tape nor valve stems of any sort. In fact, on notubes.com it states that the FR rim can't even be run tubeless yet since they have not released the yellow tape.

Right now I am running tubes (I had just ordered a 10 pack from Jenson), but after these tubes run out I am going tubeless with just my strapping tape and a valve.

Oh and for those of you that don't know, the FR rims come drilled for schraeder... that was a big surprise to me.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
william_thorn said:
I have a set of ZTR 355 FR rims and they came with neither rim strip, tape nor valve stems of any sort. In fact, on notubes.com it states that the FR rim can't even be run tubeless yet since they have not released the yellow tape.
Yes I talked to them about that. They actually had some tape for these rims, but the tape fell short of their expectations, and therefore they did not release it for sale.

Others I have spoken with have run this rim tubeless with great success, both with FR strips and with simple tape and stems.

·
Registered
250 Posts
regulatory issues? CYA?

When my shop first started carrying bikes that came "tubeless," we were confused to find that all the new "tubeless" bikes had tubes in them when we pulled them out of the boxes. Our sales reps explained that this was by decree of government regulation... Bicycles- at least in 2001- needed to be shipped with tubes in them, the same way as the FDA declares that in order for something to be called "pizza," it has to have red sauce... so frozen "white" pizzas need to be labeled "pizza-style food product" but can't actually be called "pizza." The sales reps were dismayed about this, but told us they couldn't let bikes leave their warehouse without tubes. We were dismayed, too, because using 2001 tire levers would screw up the beads if you weren't extra-extra careful, and then the tubeless tires wouldn't work after we de-tubed them!

I have no idea whether that's still the case; maybe bikes with UST rims & tires can be sold or distributed without tubes... but, there's still no UST standard for 29. This might explain why the Asylum was shipped with them... and also, why Speedgoat might have said "oh, we always (wink, wink) run tubes in ours." Speedgoat strongly advised me not to go tubeless, as did Salsa... although I think there was a little *wink wink, nudge nudge* implication about that. It might be what a retailer's got to do, just in order to cover their a$$, or a$$-ets!

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
It may be that it is the shipping company itself that doesn't want Stan's inflated tires flying in their planes...how would it react to the complete lack of surronding air pressure? If they had just one failure in shipping resulting in the tire blow off and mess of sticky white stuff, they might make it an issue.

Speculation aside, Stan's rules. Go for it, you won't be even remotely disappointed.
Mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks - matter resolved

Thanks for each of your respective comments...after some time to decompress, some very friendly exchanges with the guys at Speedgoat, and some more miles in on the new rig, I just punted, ordered the rim strips and tape from Stan's and some new Crows and called it a day. To Speedgoat's credit, they were very helpful and responsive and offered to make things right. Apparently the recent trend is for them to receive rims only without the strips/tape/valve stems. A departure from prior experience, but things change I guess.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.