Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Some of the no-go's have worked for others anyway, as long as they kept psi low. Not something anyone should advise another to follow, though.
IRC tires are told to be very good for tubeless. So are the WTB Exiwolfs and the wire beaded Nano's I know someone who's problem-free with the greenline folding Nano's as well. I shouldn't tell you to try it at home, though.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Jan makes a good point, experiment at your own risk. On that note I've been running both the exi and the wire nano's with no problems. I've been experimenting with the ignitor (hasn't blown after 2 weeks), and have heard the new bonty works (ie hasn't blown after a few weeks of riding). "Apparently" bontrager changed manufacturers, they used the same company as wtb, and are now using the same manufacturer as irc. Take this any way you like it.

e

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm using WTB steel bead moto raptors and they work great, no blow offs. I keep them at 30psi and have had no trouble for close to a year of riding. When I first got them I used kevlar bead WTBs and they did blow off the rim shortly after mounting them. I feel very confident in this set up running them at 30psi and I love the way they perform. I wouldn't recommend running with higher pressure, even with the steel bead.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
A short list, my friend...

Guaranteed to work:
IRC Mythos (front or rear) wire bead
IRC Notos wire bead
WTB Exiwolf wire bead

Worked for me/probably:
IRC Mythos kevlar
IRC Notos kevlar

No way:
Schwalbe Little Albert kevlar

Note that this is old school "tape+goop" system. With rimstrips, you might have better luck. I've not tried any of the other (Motos, Ignitors, etc).

Good luck!

-Walt

·
Registered
7 Posts
My irc notos (folding version) mounted easily and worked fine for about two weeks...then without notice on flat terrain KABOOM! No damage to the tire, just mounted a tube and went on. However, if that had happened just 10 mins earlier. Lets just say for safety sake I've changed back to tubes (and I've already had 2 flats uggg) and will wait for the ust tire. SOMEBODY MAKE A 29er UST NOW!
I love tubeless and ran them on my 26er for several years with NO problems, but that kind of unexpected failure on converted tires has me nervous about 35 mph twisties through the trees!
As far as recommended tires from members goes, it seems just about EVERY converted 29er tire has had such failures. So beee very careful. I for one cannot trust them. (the tires that is)
maybe you'll be lucky-maybe not
jmo

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ran Klaws for about 6 months w/Stan's but the seemed really slow rolling. I guess I'll stick with the Bonti's or try Nano's with tubes... I've been hearing too many horror stories

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
I have them...

J&B carries them, thus I have tons. I actually prefer them to the kevlar version, purely because they work tubeless without any headaches.

I think the Notos is only kevlar now, though.

-Walt

Cloxxki said:
Do wire bead IRC's actually exist? I've never seen them anywhere yet....

·
Beer it does a body good!
250 Posts
motos

I have WTB Moto Raptors with wire beads. I will try ExiWolfs today. No problems have ran as low as 24 lbs and as high as 35 lbs.

·
Only dead people are old
712 Posts
toddre said:
What tires are you folks using with Stan's?
I know not to use wtb and Bonti's and I've tried Klaws with Stan's... anything else?
I've been running Stans with IRC Notos (kevlar bead) on Bonti-Race Lites for a few years now with zero flats or other problems except that my tires are worn out right now. Also running Stans with IRC Mythos (kevlar bead)on Velocity Aerohead rims for over a year and again have had no flats or other problems. I typically run 28-36 psi (depending on the rocks). I think it's always a risk to use the tubeless kits since the tires and rims are not meant to be tubeless but I also think that there are tire/rim combos that work well together and ones that do not. I like tubeless in the thorn hell I live in and if it were not for the billions of thorns here I would run tubes. I do run tubes in 3 other wheelsets but every ride I can count on at least one flat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.