Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a while ago after trying slim to seal my tires on the suggestion of a friend that did not work. The stuff seeped out of my sidwalls. I ended up putting tubes back in forgetting it for the time being. Now I've got Stan's sealant and installed it in my tires last night with Stan's rim strips. This morning bot tires were VERY low on pressure. Just 6 hours later! Does the stuff take a while to set up and seal? Or does it just not work with my tires?

·
Banned
163 Posts
I use IRC Mythos. I have no problems. I just put some sealant in and pump it up with c02 and it's all good. I've had no problems. In fact these tires have been the easiest to seal and use out of everything I've tried.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm. Must be something I'm doing wrong. I just checked the stans site and I missed one detail, maybe it has something to do with it. I thoroughly shook up my bottle before putting it in my tires, but I failed to use the little pointy thingy and hold the bottle upside down to fill my measuring cup. Could that me the source of my troubles?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
bmadau said:
Hmm. Must be something I'm doing wrong. I just checked the stans site and I missed one detail, maybe it has something to do with it. I thoroughly shook up my bottle before putting it in my tires, but I failed to use the little pointy thingy and hold the bottle upside down to fill my measuring cup. Could that me the source of my troubles?
You have to find every small little hole that is in the sidewall and make sure the sealant reaches it. Soapy water helps to identify where the holes in the sidewall are, then turn the tire so that location is at the bottom, wait a few seconds so that all the sealant will pool down at the bottom. Then jiggle the tire towards your stomach and the other way to 'shake' the sealant up on the the side walls. Or try laying the wheel down horizantal, with the hole on the bottom.

Just spinning the tire isn't enough to get the sealant up into the walls of the sidewalls.

It took me a few days to find all the little holes in the side wall on a conti tire.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.. I'll just be a little more patient and fiddle with it more tonight, and over the weekend.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Stans and Mythos?

Ah, my same question. I was wondering about this combo as the Mythos are very thin sidewalled. Are you using the UST version or the tube version? IRC now makes the Mythos in a UST version.

I was thinking of my favorite combo of a Panaracer Fire XC Pro in front and Mythos in the rear, but using the UST versions of both and using Stan's or some other tubeless kit.

What rim are using too BTW?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got non ust types, and I guess the sidewalls are just real thin. I posted a follow up just a minute ago titled "tires won't seal".. I've got a mavic 517 in the rear, and a bontranger valiant in the front. UST tires may be the way to go..

·
MTBR Tool
831 Posts
Enjoyed this combo for maybe 4 rides

until the inevitable AZ rock induced gash in the sidewall which even Stan's can't cope w/.

I guess it depends on the terrain, but the 2 tires that I've used recently have both suffered the same fate in very short order. One of them currently has yestubes and is holding up well. It's a shame because the tire is a fierce gripper, light and very cheap.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It sounds like you and I ride on similar terrain, I ride in the so-cal desert with many fist sized rocks and imbedded rocks in my trails. I've been very lucky and havn't cut a tire yet, but they have many abrasions on the sidewalls, maybe that abuse has something to do with my bad luck with stans. Until now I've been running two ton tessie HD tubes (550grams each), and they've lasted over a year w/o a puncture, but damn are they heavy. And you are right, on this terrain, they grip like mad!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.