Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to have a set built with the new Hugi SS hub. Anybody have any time on the stan's rims? I the weight savings and tubeless option worth the extra cost? Someone said there were early problems with cracking....

·
SNGLSPD
1,058 Posts
not worth the money IMHO

they are light but not a high quality rim for as expensive as they are.
I am running tubes as Stan himself recomends.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had one rim strip tear at the seam, Stan sent a new one right away. No questions.

I have about 6 mos of riding on a set stan built (kings with the larger gauge rev spokes) and they have held up as well as you could expect considering their weight. One thing that buged me about the wheels was after about 10 hours of riding the rear wheel went way out of wack. I throw it on the stand and 4 spokes had no tension at all, the nipples had backed out! I was able to re-tension the wheel and added a touch of linseed oil to the nipples and they have been fine ever since. Not something you would expect to do right off the bat with a spendy set of wheels. Are they worth the extra dough? I'm not so sure, this really depends on your budget and how many kids you have.

Do I notice a perfomance difference over my racelites? Yep they are about 200 grams lighter and are stiffer than the racelites. Would I buy another pair? Yep, unless Mav ic comes out with a ust 700c mtb disc wheelset.

e

·
Registered
393 Posts
Stans rims

I was one of the first to get these rims when they became available, and I've been pounding on them ever since. Fastest wheels out there, period. I built them myself with 240's and they are straight as ever. I have always run them tubeless. I did have one strip bust on me and stan sent me a new one asap. Otherwise, no problems at all. I will never part with these wheels!

·
Registered
118 Posts
ibis-ss said:
Looking to have a set built with the new Hugi SS hub. Anybody have any time on the stan's rims? I the weight savings and tubeless option worth the extra cost? Someone said there were early problems with cracking....
I've been racing these all season and my report is astoundingly positive. I would order only the rims, because whoever Stan has build the wheels is hardly better than a chimp and after my first ride the front and rear fell hugely out of true. I sent them back on Stan's dime and he fixed them personally and they've been fairly durable since. I've definately had to true them more often than any other wheel I've had, but I attribute that to the initial abysmal build quality and my extremely agressive riding.
Now that the negatiuves are over with, I absolutely love the rims. They seal up any tire incredibly easy with a floor pump and weigh nothing. Their wide footprint also seems to give a little more control in the corners. I'd estimate these wheels are good for a couple minutes per hour due to the decreased rolling resistance and light weight. A set of these hoops has the next lightest 29" rim beat by about 300g a pair. I have however dented both the front and rear rim on some sick technical descents and have ordered a new pair. Hopefully my build will be a little more durable.
NOTE TO ALL TUBELESS USERS: I've experimented with every 29" tire available with the exception of the Conti Vapor and IRC tires are the only ones with a strong enough bead. The WTB wire and kevlar are terrible, the Kendas lasted a while, the Notos until they wore out, and my Mythos are rockin' out now. I would highly reccommeng the Mythos for tubeless users.

·
What's up Dut?
361 Posts
I like 'em...

ibis-ss said:
I have been riding them now for about a few months and I do like them. Mainly for the lightness factor...and oh yeah...the tubeless factor as well.

Now, I do feel that the rims are not of high quality...especially with the price that you pay for them. Stan told me that they will wear out a lot faster than usual. Especially, if you ride in a lot of muddy areas. Also, I think that the rims are not made to run with disc hubs. My wheelset came built for v-brakes with the Hugi 240's. However, I was thinking of having them re-built with disc hubs and noticed that there are no eyelets around the nipple holes within the rims. It is recommended to have those eyelets when running disc just because of the force that is caused when braking at the hub vs. at the rim.

I have not had any problems with the tubeless factor. I love it! I currently run the IRC tires either the Notos or the Mythos and have found them to be the best suited tire for tubeless applications on the 29er. The Notos do wear out a little faster, but they definitely roll faster than the Mythos do.

So, love this wheelset and I will ride them until they fall apart. Which may not be too far off at the rate that I am going. Will I buy another set? Hard to tell. I think that the price should come down. Plus, now Stan is not recommending a tubeless set up any more. Hmmm! Wonder what is up with that?

·
Registered
84 Posts
NOTE TO ALL TUBELESS USERS: I've experimented with every 29" tire available with the exception of the Conti Vapor and IRC tires are the only ones with a strong enough bead. The WTB wire and kevlar are terrible, the Kendas lasted a while, the Notos until they wore out, and my Mythos are rockin' out now. I would highly reccommeng the Mythos for tubeless users.[/QUOTE]

I'm running Notos and Mythos (front) on Ritchey rims with Stan's strip. Man, the beads were scary loose, but so far, so good. I'm running about 30 psi. What pressure are you running and have you had any cut sidewalls yet? On my 26-er, I cut a sidewall on a Kenda Karma Pro (which was sweet untill the screwed sidewall), in the first go in a race (The Ultra-100). Stan claims that a lower pressure will solve that problem, but I'm already feeling the rim in rocky terrain. Any thoughts?

Thanks! Fred

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah, mine are wider as well, go the wider strip (for Rhyno's I think). Works well so far.

As far as SLC, go ride the trails at the head of Millcreek Canyon (they are all great, just go explore, work your way up to the Wasatch Crest).

Or Cruise up to Park City, get the local trail map from any bike shop, and start riding... Could also check the E-100 course, it included some really goof single track.
Fred

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.