Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or common sense...

Ok, some of you have seen me out on the Nor Cal MTBR rides on my early 90's rigid 26". I'm wanting to upgrade to more current technology, so the obvious choice is a Monocog 29er right?

So I go to the local attitude, er bike shop, and test ride a 15" version.

Rides nice, rolls through bumps, up curbs, feels great until I stop, hop off the pedals and nail myself on the top tube... Man that sucker slopes all the way up to that head tube doesn't it?

So the standover isn't great, it's pretty much right there for the boys to rest on when I'm standing flat footed. Looking around on the net I can get another inch or so with another bike, but I'll have to pay a lot more for it.

So help me here people, tell me I'm just wussing out, sound off if you ride a 29er without any extra standover.

Yes I searched and read some good threads about it, I just want more current info.

Also, do those of you with custom 29ers have extra standover? I have short legs, 28-29" inseam, I just don't think it will be very possible for me to have a lot.

So come on people! What do you have to say???

Thanks,
--Cheyenne

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Have you looked into the Soma Juice? An affordable frame set that offers great standover clearance. I think many have reported that the standover height is actualy an inch and a half or two lower than what is listed on the Soma web site's geometry chart.

·
Wheel building addict.
42 Posts
Wow, looks like we've got the same inseam. I was looking at getting a 15" MC29er frame to build up. I'll be checking out one, hopefully. I just can't get to a local dealer easily anymore. My two closest redline dealers closed shop. I've been riding my track bike a lot lately, so I'm used to having little standover. My MC will be fixed and will be ridden mostly on the road as a burly commuter.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Buy the bike and find out.
With the slacker geometr of the 15" (to prevent toe overlap issues), you CAN get away with a shorter fork on it. Lots of offerings out there, at least if you want to run a front disc ($60 upgrade?). Handling quickens quite a bit, you lose a bit of toe clearance, but also reach increases. If you can't deal with a toptube that will seem 20mm longer, don't go this route.
Should you get a 440mm (34mm shorter) fork, standover drops around 20mm I think. BB drops 13mm, don't forget that either.
Anyway, buy the bike. You can later always sell the frame and get a bent toptube replacement.

·
dirty hippy mountainbiker
1,146 Posts
too high

Sounds like that's too high. My 19er is close and I'm 6'2". Makes me wonder why the MattChester can be so popular when that makes for an even longer head tube. Better to go with Shiggy's design with the top tube that curve up at then end. Or a combo of spacers and riser stem, the popular aversion against which mistifies me.

-M

·
Registered
262 Posts
18 inch Inbred, 31.5 inseam, Exi on front.

Where you wearing your cycling shoes on the demo ride? They can add an inch or so to your standover.

I have maybe an inch clearance on the above bike. I was leary at first, but I've not had an issue with the jewels. For us folks in the 5.10- 6 foot range, the days of 2-3 inches of clearance went the way of the 26 inch wheel - at least with stock frame sizing. I'm not missing the extra standover yet, you may find the same.

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
Have you checked out the Fisher 29er's? Plenty of standover (30" inseam) and toe clearance on the small Paragon I used to have. I think most, if not all, of the line uses same geometries, just different components.

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Buy the bike and find out.
couldn't disagree more.
i say never buy a bike that doesnt feel right and THEN tinker. if the shop is willing then express the concern to them and see how they can help prior to dropping the coin. otherwise there are several frames with shorter standovers out there...i know of at least one 15" with a standover of 25.46"...

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Alternatives don't exist at that budget and 26" 15" bikes are not going to offer all that much more standover anyway, the Monocogs get short headtubes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the input!!

Looking at everything, I realize that I really don't have the budget for anything else, also my current ride doesn't actually have enough standover either, and I've done alright.

I think a longer, more thorough test ride will let me know if it's actually a show stopper. There aren't any trails near the shop, but I can use curbs and whatnot to see how it will be trying to stabilize with a dab from a height.

I think what will help the most is having a plan on what to test/look for when I'm riding it, rather than pedaling around in circles wondering what I'm forgetting to do/try/test.

And if it turns out to be too big, I'll start saving for a custom frame, and get it myyy waayyyy....

I'm "fixed" anyways, I'm not going to damage anything too badly :eek:

Thanks Everyone!!!

--Cheyenne

·
Registered
252 Posts
holycromoly said:
If the Monocog doesn't work out, Gene Spicer can build you a frame w/ a downward curving top tube...

That Spicer is pretty cool! Any info on dimensions, tubeset would be appreciated!

Me, I had a custom frame/Fork built to accomodate my 28 inch inseam! I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but if you ever go custom and prefer a rigid fork, many builders can build something non suspension corrected. This will certainly help with sizing(bar height) and toe overlap issues that could possibly be had. You just can't beat the MC 29er for the price though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well here is the deal people...

I tested the 15" version at a shop that I used to work for, but have been having doubts about supporting because of the "Service" I get there.

So I testrode a 17" version at the most local LBS to me, and it seemed like the standover was about the same, perhaps because of the longer top tube? Whatever, it felt good, and more than that the guy that showed it to me cared about things that the other shop didn't, like the seat height. I tested with some curbs how it would be to dab spots lower than the wheels, and it wasn't too much trouble, not as easy as a correctly sized frame, but not a big deal.

So the next day I bought it, the salesperson wasn't around that day so I went through the manager to make sure the sales guy got credit for the sale, and took my new baby home!

I can honestly say it was everything I hoped for, and probably more. Some of the best money I have ever spent. I consider myself officially a cult member now. :)

When I parked her in the garage in between the 26" and my Pinarello fixed gear, the italian lady had nothing to say for once, and the 26 dropped a couple bearings on the floor...

See y'all on the trails!
--Cheyenne

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.