Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am looking to buy my first mountain bike. I am female, 5 ft, 98 lbs and have inseam of 27 inches (barefeet). I have test rode specialized, cannodale, trek and jamis. I have narrowed it down to Jamis dakota race/comp, specialized myka HT comp, cannondale F3- all woman's designs. I will be riding mostly smooth trails- packed and grass. I am concerned about the standover height of jamis and cannodale which leave maybe 1-3 inches of wiggle room Any advice? Would adjusting the air in the fork on the Jamis help?
Thanks
Carla

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
1 to 3 inches is entirely adequate IMHO . You might try posting this in the womens forum , possibly get more relavant answers over there .

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
^^Agree^^

AZ.MTNS said:
1 to 3 inches is entirely adequate IMHO . You might try posting this in the womens forum , possibly get more relavant answers over there .
The only thing I'd add is that standover hieght is the least important measurement of determining proper fit.

Ask the girls. They'll give you more qualified answers than the boys:

Womens Forum Link

·
Can't feel my legs
852 Posts
As Ken and AZ said, 1-3" is fine for standover. ETT length(which basically determines distance between seat and handlebars) is far more inportant, and is a much better indicater of propper fit.
As far as your other question, no, adjusting the shock will not affect the un-loaded height of the bike.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Another vote for not worrying too much about standover.
Being a slightly short legged guy, I don't have much standover clearance. The "Ouch!" moments come only when I go over the bar on a too low trajectory ... and hit the rear of the stem.

Also, your description of your riding suggests that "unplanned dismounts" will not be too frequent.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
let me add...

you only need standover when (you guessed it) you are standing over the bike. This should be almost never. It does help when trying to remount the bike on an uphill slope, but one can also lean the bike over to get on and then start.

As all the rest have said, no worries. Just make sure the top tube length if right for you so that you feel right sitting on the saddle with your hands on the bars. That is the litmus test for perfect fit.

Good luck, Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.