Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again I look to the great minds of MTBR for advice.

I own a old (90s?) Trek 850 steel hardtail frame. Its been hanging around after I rescued it from the dumpster and stripped all the parts off it.
I wanna put track end style dropouts on it and make her a single speed bike for the trail. I have investigated and see that track dropouts are 70 degrees. is this pretty standard? The frame is a 18" and common sense tells me that seat tube length will affect rear triangle angles somewhat. I'm thinkin I'll just order them and they should work fine, right?

I guess if I wasn't lazy, I'd head out into the blizzard and buy some kinda protractor to figure it out myself. But it is warm inside with my tea.:D

thanks guys!!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Henry James makes the dropouts for my project in only one angle. He says to bend the sockets to the correct angle. Mine are his stainless for mtb geared.

He also make a conversion set of track drops (specifically for your case) which have much wider tabs than normal. Needless to say you'd grind down the excess that you don't need. These are the slotted type which is probably the type of construction your old frame uses.

http://www.henryjames.com/productlug.html#laserdo

The experts will probably chime in with a better solution........

Drew

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I checked Paragon out, and they offer 2 angles, 58 and 70 on their other dropouts. Perhaps you should get a protractor and have a look at your frame again and do some figuring before ordering anything.

just figuring......

Drew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.