Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed on the Ventana website last night, that each frame option only had a couple of colour options available.
has there been a change??
I am looking to add a El Padrino to my 29er stable to keep my El Comandante company and am wondering if Electric Superdust and Electric Blue are really the only standard colour choices.
Is there an upcharge for white?? I am liking the look of El Turtlehead's El Comandante.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
stripes said:
It's not your imagination. This is a change. Not sure why the change, you have a limited color choice of Superdust and one other color without an upgrade charge. Otherwise, there's an extra cost for the paint you want.
Dont know how to say this nicely so I will just come out with it.
YUCK!!!
Those 2 colours are the 2 least likely to be wanted by me at least.
What is the upcharge for non standard these days??
Sounds like I may be spending more money than I really want to.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stripes said:
Really? I like the metallic blue. I also like the metallic red, but since I went semi-custom, my husband said I should go completely overboard and do something more custom :D

The good news is Sherwood has brought powercoating in-house. Give him a call and tell him what you're looking for.
I have the Electric Red on my El Comandante.
Not fussed on the blue and have a mate down here in Australia with that colour already.
Hopefully with the powdercoating inhouse the cost should be reduced.

I am thinking white like El Turtlehead or perhaps a burgundy/maroon colour.

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
I agree with you. I tend to like a more "industrial" look on a mountain bike; the red and blue are a bit too "90s" for me. The only standard color I like that Ventana now offers is Army Green. Apparently though, you have to get a Bruja for the color to be considered "standard," otherwise there is an upcharge.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SVSocrates said:
I agree with you. I tend to like a more "industrial" look on a mountain bike; the red and blue are a bit too "90s" for me. The only standard color I like that Ventana now offers is Army Green. Apparently though, you have to get a Bruja for the color to be considered "standard," otherwise there is an upcharge.
I also do not understand why if the powdercoat is not already there and the powdercoating is inhouse, why is there an upcharge???

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
I'm not sure, but I will say that Ventana is not out to "screw" anyone. They've built up enough good will in my opinion that if they are charging for powdercoating in house when they have the colors, there is probably a good economic reason.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I am not trying to say that they are doing anything wrong.
It is just frustrating when i finally convinced myself that I would get another Ventana rather than a much cheaper option and then find that I only have a choice of 2 colours or else I have to spend more $ again.

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,818 Posts
"You can have any color you want, as long as it's black.” - Henry Ford :thumbsup: All other colours will be a $150 upcharge worth every red cent in my opinion. What other frame manufacture will give you the chance to get your fav colour. :D I'm digging my Army Green El Ciclon......it's the cat's meow :D

It's economics 101.......16 standard frames, countless customs & on average 4-5 sizes per frame all offered in

Electric Red Metallic
Electric Blue Metallic
Electric Super Dust
Grinch Green
Cosmic Orange
Army Green
White
Black

That's a lot of frames which results in a lot of inventory.....which in California is taxed, taxed and taxed again........you do the math. :p

Attachments

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mtnbiker4life said:
It's economics 101.......16 standard frames, countless customs & on average 4-5 sizes per frame all offered in

Electric Red Metallic
Electric Blue Metallic
Electric Super Dust
Grinch Green
Cosmic Orange
Army Green
White
Black

That's a lot of frames which results in a lot of inventory.....which in California is taxed, taxed and taxed again........you do the math. :p
mtnbiker4life
You now have me confused. :confused:

Are you saying that all of these colours are available as standard or are you saying that they are all available for a cost??
I would be happy with any of the colours listed except for Super Dust, Electric Blue and Electric Red (already have that colour).

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,818 Posts
TR said:
mtnbiker4life
You now have me confused. :confused:

Are you saying that all of these colours are available as standard or are you saying that they are all available for a cost??
I would be happy with any of the colours listed except for Super Dust, Electric Blue and Electric Red (already have that colour).
No, just speculating why Ventana went to only offering two colors per frame....realizing all the different frames they build, the 4-5 sizes of each frame, and then all the "standard" colors they offered last year (2006) would result in high inventory costs not to mention space to store all those frames......It stands to reason why they limited the selection of 2007 standard frame colors. Most manufactures only offer a single color. The only manufacture ( I can think of) that offers multiple colors per frame is Santa Cruz.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
mtnbiker4life said:
No, just speculating why Ventana went to only offering two colors per frame....realizing all the different frames they build, the 4-5 sizes of each frame, and then all the "standard" colors they offered last year (2006) would result in high inventory costs not to mention space to store all those frames......It stands to reason why they limited the selection of 2007 standard frame colors. Most manufactures only offer a single color. The only manufacture ( I can think of) that offers multiple colors per frame is Santa Cruz.
I think that's part of it for sure. It also makes it a lot easier on dealers, which I know is one of the primary reasons they did it. It was nice having lots of color options, but sometimes I could have a couple frames in stock in the size and model someone wanted, but they'd request a different color so I'd have to order another frame instead of selling one from stock. Dealers will be able to carry inventory more easily this way.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
larr[email protected]

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
Man, would you PLEASE just build that thing! I'm dying to see the final product.

·
Basura Blanca
1,799 Posts
An equally important reason, were I to guess, is the significant improvement in turnaround/shipping time. When I had my frame repaired, the biggest delay was shipping it out to the powder coating place and then waiting for it to be returned to Ventana. As an aside, I chose the "Pedaler" green like pauliemon's old frame. It's beautiful, and certainly would've been worth a bit of an upcharge.
- Joe

Ventanarama said:
I think that's part of it for sure. It also makes it a lot easier on dealers, which I know is one of the primary reasons they did it. It was nice having lots of color options, but sometimes I could have a couple frames in stock in the size and model someone wanted, but they'd request a different color so I'd have to order another frame instead of selling one from stock. Dealers will be able to carry inventory more easily this way.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
Think of all the dealers attempting to stock frames, or even Ventanas stock.

16 different models of bikes X 4 frame sizes per model X 9 color options = 576 potential combinations

or

16 different models of bikes X 5 frame sizes per model X 9 color options = 720 potential combinations

Average the two and we end up with roughly 650 different frames combinations. This does not include quad bearing, or upgraded rockers. Now what I would like to know when does Sherwood find the time to sleep?

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry, but I am going to put a hand up for the negative.
I could agree with you if I was looking at $250 inhouse Zion or something but we are talking about a Ventana here.

As it stands if I do go with the $250 Zion I can have a choice of 3 colours.
I am sorry to sound negative on this but I find it extremely disappointing. I would possibly even be happy if the 2 colours available were black or white.

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
TR said:
Sorry, but I am going to put a hand up for the negative.
I could agree with you if I was looking at $250 inhouse Zion or something but we are talking about a Ventana here.

As it stands if I do go with the $250 Zion I can have a choice of 3 colours.
I am sorry to sound negative on this but I find it extremely disappointing. I would possibly even be happy if the 2 colours available were black or white.
The only reason you are miffed is because the color options that are standard are colors you DON'T want.

The standard color choices are such because, for the established frames, these are the favorite, most requested colors for those frames.

Jumping up on SoapBox....

YOU want something that is not a stock item. Therefore, to get what you want the nominal upcharge for a custom paint job. You at least have that option to get the color you want. As mentioned before, show me where Specialized/Cannondale/Trek etc etc give you that option? And at no Cost?

As far as your Zion example, the Economy of scale's is so off kilter you can't compare since they mass produce the frames in insane quantities to get those prices. In fact, I bet in just one size frame, (ie 18") they make more frames than what Ventana produces all year. You're trying to compare a Grapevine with a watermelon in terms of production scale.

And let's not even bother to compare the quality differences.

I'm sorry you feel miffed, but I think you are taking this just a bit too personal.

Stepping down from the Soapbox...

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not sure I agree with any of the arguments put forward and especially about the comment about the favourite most request colours. Surely the most requested colours would be the same regardless of the model and from looking at what has been posted I have never seen a pic of a El Comandante in Superdust. From visits to the local Aussie distributors office I would say that the favourite colours seem to be Orange, Blue and Green.

Anyway, obviously nobody agrees.
I am out of the discussion as I dont want to cause an argument here.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have to say that I was a bit annoyed about having to pay £50 more to get a nice colour for my el ciclon (not got it yet and the wait is killing me!) I don't like the red or the black so paid extra for cosmic orange - I also thought 'he must have loads of paint knocking about surely he could do it without charging me' !!

But looking at mtnbiker4life's explainatio I think its fair enough....

Certainly didn't put me off buying one - Look how much Santa Cruz charge extra for there pretty poor anodized finish..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.