Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that the Finish Line Stanchion Lube is good to apply to forks to prolong the seal and o-ring life.

I have a 2003 SID Race, 2003 Judy Race, and a 2008 FOX Float RL. Has anyone used this product and does it really work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,143 Posts
I like it. I first got it thinking it was just a gimmick but for 10.00 it last a long time so I thought what the hell. It does seem to keep things smoother between services and it doesnt really attract dirt (even at dusty as hell places like northstar). So it does what its supposed to for that app.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
928 Posts
Any Dry Teflon Lube

Teflon lubricant dries to a wax like substance and dirt doesn't stick to it. I saw this recommended by RockShox years ago. I've been using Finish Line Dry Teflon, but I hear you can get a cheaper can of Teflon spray at Loews.
 

·
Registered
Top Fuel
Joined
·
1,638 Posts
ddraewwg said:
I also heard that silicone spray works well. Can anyone validate that? Just wondering.
I'm no suspension expert, but treating with sIlicone would make the surface repel oil...so you would get reduced benefit from the internal oil lubrication. It might be good for the seal, but I think it would lead to accelerated wear of the bushing underneath the seal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,143 Posts
baraant said:
Teflon lubricant dries to a wax like substance and dirt doesn't stick to it. I saw this recommended by RockShox years ago. I've been using Finish Line Dry Teflon, but I hear you can get a cheaper can of Teflon spray at Loews.
the thing is though that teflon lube you mentioned goes on pretty thick if I am thinking the right one. and it seems to dry with a white film almost like wax where the actuall stanchion version is very light and essentially no dirt sticks to it where the other still seems to attract dirt. This is of course if its the right lube im thinking of (used to use it for chains) I think it has more additives and solvents in it than just the raw teflon like the stanchion lube.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
928 Posts
Jesse Hill said:
the thing is though that teflon lube you mentioned goes on pretty thick if I am thinking the right one. and it seems to dry with a white film almost like wax where the actuall stanchion version is very light and essentially no dirt sticks to it where the other still seems to attract dirt. This is of course if its the right lube im thinking of (used to use it for chains) I think it has more additives and solvents in it than just the raw teflon like the stanchion lube.
Yes you're right it does dry to almost a thick white film. I apply a small amount then use a very small straight (a jewelers screwdriver that I rounded all the edges on) edge to open up around the seal to help the lube flow into it. Then after it dries I wipe away the excess. After I do this the fork and shock seem to have less stiction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,293 Posts
Jesse Hill said:
I like it. I first got it thinking it was just a gimmick but for 10.00 it last a long time so I thought what the hell. It does seem to keep things smoother between services and it doesnt really attract dirt (even at dusty as hell places like northstar). So it does what its supposed to for that app.
+1...worked well on my RS forks.

FWIW, I hear Marz specifically said not to use it because it breaks down their seals...not sure if that is true or not, maybe someone else can chime in there.
 

·
Bike Breaker.
Joined
·
1,764 Posts
I'm sure there must be an equivalent, not sure can you send pressurized cans via air?
You could drop them an e-mail.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top