Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
NedwannaB
12,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't see many posts on these, how are they working out so far? Any upgrades done or component glitches found?

Post up!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am curious as to how much people would mod their Stance to keep the budget efficiency and gain performance improvement.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've been on a Stance 2 for 2 months now and love it. I ride alot in southern Michigan and while im sure its not as plush as some, the suspension action it does have is treating me really well. My upgrades for now have been all contact/cockpit stuff, wtb rocket v saddle, 762mm spank spoon riser, kore 60mm stem, lock on grips and of course spd's. My main concern was the rock shox gold 30 fork and while I still have plans on upgrading to a beefier fork its actually really impressive, the drivetrain WORKS and thats all i care about since im not a every second counts racer.What it boils down to is not what bike or parts are better than the next its what do i get for the money and for 1350 nothing touches it!

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
On a single pivot, the suspension will work only as well as the shock can. A good shock tuned for you pays off big time.

Giant makes good stuff, id be a little surprised if the bike had frame quality issues. Im considering one, doesnt seem like theres any other slack short travel single pivot bikes out there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The wife and I have had our Stance 2 and Stance 1 since September last year. We have only suffered 2 minor issues, both relating to the front fork, and both handled without question by warranty. My fork had the seals pop up while riding and this was fixed for the cost of shipping. My wifes had an internal issue with a seal coming loose and warping, also taken care of for the cost of shipping.

I have done things here and there on both of the bikes since September. These bikes have been great for their value, and you can "build them up" a bit depending on what you like. Here is what I have done with mine and the wifeys:

Stance 2 (Wifes):
Specialized womens specific seat
KS LEV DX Dropper post
Forte Pedals
Drive train from the Stance 1
--Cassette
--Front and rear derailleur
--Front and rear shifters
New custom wheels (Hope hubs with Spank rims)
XT 2x Crank
Kore Grips

Stance 1(Mine):
Easton Grips
1x conversion
--OneUp 30t front ring
--OneUp 40t rear expander cog
--OneUp RAD-r cage
--XT cassette
--XT Shadow+ derailleur
--XT I-Spec shifter
XT Brakes
KS LEV DX dropper post
Spank Oozy wheelset
CrankBrothers Candy 2 pedals

I probably forgot something but that's what I remember off the top of my head. I just made sure that any upgrade we bought can be transferred to a new bike should the need ever arise :) We have been totally happy with the bikes and really feel Giant has something special with these. They allowed us to jump into a great riding bike at a price we could afford at the time. Piecing them together over time has been nice too as a way of making them "ours" so to speak. Sure, it doesn't have maestro suspension, but rides better than some of the higher specced bikes we have demo'ed. I wish more people would check these things out, they really are hard to pass up for the price.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The wife and I have had our Stance 2 and Stance 1 since September last year. We have only suffered 2 minor issues, both relating to the front fork, and both handled without question by warranty. My fork had the seals pop up while riding and this was fixed for the cost of shipping. My wifes had an internal issue with a seal coming loose and warping, also taken care of for the cost of shipping.

I have done things here and there on both of the bikes since September. These bikes have been great for their value, and you can "build them up" a bit depending on what you like. Here is what I have done with mine and the wifeys:

Stance 2 (Wifes):
KS LEV DX Dropper post
Forte Pedals
--Cassette
XT 2x Crank
Kore Grips

Stance 1(Mine):
Easton Grips
1x conversion
--OneUp 30t front ring
--OneUp RAD-r cage
--XT cassette
--XT Shadow+ derailleur
--XT I-Spec shifter
XT Brakes
KS LEV DX dropper post
Spank Oozy wheelset

I probably forgot something but that's what I remember off the top of my head. I just made sure that any upgrade we bought can be transferred to a new bike should the need ever arise :) We have been totally happy with the bikes and really feel Giant has something special with these. They allowed us to jump into a great riding bike at a price we could afford at the time. Piecing them together over time has been nice too as a way of making them "ours" so to speak. Sure, it doesn't have maestro suspension, but rides better than some of the higher specced bikes we have demo'ed. I wish more people would check these things out, they really are hard to pass up for the price.
Great post and the stance 2 is at the top of my list. I am torn between the stance 2 and stumpjumper fsr 29er. The SJ is so plush, but feels just a touch too tall. The stance 2 feels just right: astonishing, given it's price.

I wonder if '16 might bring a 10 speed drivetrain to stance 2? Probably not, but I can only hope!

·
Registered
86 Posts
My guess is the 2 may get the 2x and the 1 and 0 would get the new low cost 11sp drivetrains.

Ultimately ride what you like. I used to own 26, tried 29 and liked 27.5 best. Its all what youre comfortable with. If the bike fits, and youre comfortable with it, you will ride better :)

·
NedwannaB
12,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Stance 2 (Wifes):
KS LEV DX Dropper post
Forte Pedals
--Cassette
XT 2x Crank
Kore Grips

Stance 1(Mine):
Easton Grips
1x conversion
--OneUp 30t front ring
--OneUp RAD-r cage
--XT cassette
--XT Shadow+ derailleur
--XT I-Spec shifter
XT Brakes
KS LEV DX dropper post
Spank Oozy wheelset

Nice builds!

·
Registered
10 Posts
1x9 sounds like a good idea to start with.

Another question: are those rims tubeless compatible? Do I just need tape and sealant and I am ready to roll? Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
My forks are pretty crappy. I have had my stance 2 since aug 14 and the fork seems like its locked out until you put enough pressure on it, they it clicks and starts working. I have heard there are numerous issues with the rock shock fork on the stance 2. I am taking the bike to the giant shop where I bought it. we'll see what happens.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts