Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
figured we needed to one up tahoess on his 6 hour ride so we spent 8 hours (probably 7 hour riding) trekking from Stampede to Summit lake. I have no idea of the mileage but it was a loooong day. This is an awesome ride that I would recomend. Emigrant trail was a great start and finish to this ride....fast, flowy and fun.

We accesed the top of Tahoe/Donner from the north side with fantastic views of Euer Valley and a super steep climb between marker 33 & 35. From the snow hut at the top the views were stunning (Finch platte may add photos later). ***** canyon is covered in a layer of green, yellow, purple and orange and the ride down...then up....the down and up up up again is super fun and not too loose and dusty yet.

On the way down from the top of TD we passed marker 36 and 36A and hit the primitive single track from marker 17A. Left at 38A led us to a maze of single track that rolled us almost all the way to Alder creek drive. Then we bombed down more fun ST starting at 6....all the way to hwy 89.

We labored our way back on Emigrant. Both Finch and I were tired and spurred on by the knowledge of cold beer waiting at the car (refreshing Mirror Pond and slightly funky trader joes red oval).

On the way back down the hill I found out from my wife that some a holes in a silver 4 door toyota tacoma had hit her with a water baloon while driving by at the confluence in Auburn. Hit her right on the side of the head and knocked her senseless with my 11 year old daughter and friend standing right next to her. ASRA Rangers were not very helpful in trying to track down the culprits cuz it "happens all the time down there". Nice!:madmax: :madmax:

·
Spin-stabilized
1,490 Posts
bigboulder said:
On the way back down the hill I found out from my wife that some a holes in a silver 4 door toyota tacoma had hit her with a water baloon while driving by at the confluence in Auburn. Hit her right on the side of the head and knocked her senseless with my 11 year old daughter and friend standing right next to her. ASRA Rangers were not very helpful in trying to track down the culprits cuz it "happens all the time down there". Nice!:madmax: :madmax:
School is out and the normally quiet street leading to our neighborhood now has a bunch of loitering bored idiots pulling pranks on passing cars:madmax:

I hope your wife is alright and your daughter wasn't too shaken up by that. Thanks for the ride report too.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
So does this mean you can connect HITG from Stampede on pretty much all dirt? Sounds like a good point to point, I think the one MtbCanuck was talking about doing a few years ago, If so I'd like to try it this year.

As your family's medical adviser, I recommend that your wife starts drinking large quantity's of Vodka Cranberry's, some people really suck:madmax:

·
Medium?
6,728 Posts
TahoeBC said:
As your family's medical adviser, I recommend that your wife starts drinking large quantity's of Vodka Cranberry's
Are you accepting new patients? :)

Nice ride gents. Bummer about the skunky TJs brew.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes!

TahoeBC said:
So does this mean you can connect HITG from Stampede on pretty much all dirt? Sounds like a good point to point, I think the one MtbCanuck was talking about doing a few years ago, If so I'd like to try it this year.

As your family's medical adviser, I recommend that your wife starts drinking large quantity's of Vodka Cranberry's, some people really suck:madmax:
Yes, this is the same ride that I discussed with MTBCanuk last year before he fell off the face of the earth. I am not sure if we were really slow on saturday or if it was all the map checking trying to find the best routes up through Tahoe Donner. It took us a solid 8 hours and we were pretty much done...when we were done. My initial plan was to make it all the way to castle valley but we wisely turned around at summit lake. Now that I am clear on the route...Going from stampede to htig then coming back through boreal and retracing DLRT, TD and emigrant is a pretty easy route to put together but it will definitely be grueling. The mileage and footage are still pretty much a mystery to me. I would be willing to try under the right circumstances...like not having to drive back to Auburn afterwards. Maybe camping at Stampede is an option. I'm doing the 24 at Boggs this weekend. My next opportunity to pull off something like this would be the weekend of the 31st or even Friday the 30th. Lets talk about this....

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Funky

Fast Eddy said:
Are you accepting new patients? :)

Nice ride gents. Bummer about the skunky TJs brew.
I said "funky" not "skunky"....it just kinda tastes weird after riding 8 hours....slamming an ice cold refreshing mirror pond then cracking a can of red oval. It's your standard high octane upper midwest can o lager. If you have had Schmidt...it's like that

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
bigboulder said:
YGoing from stampede to htig then coming back through boreal and retracing DLRT, TD and emigrant is a pretty easy route to put together but it will definitely be grueling. The mileage and footage are still pretty much a mystery to me. I would be willing to try under the right circumstances.
Maybe I'm getting to old, but I was thinking something not quite as epic, like trying to arrange a point to point starting at Stampede and finishing with HITG, I'm guessing passing through the DLRT on the way?. That would still be a pretty solid ride right? My schedule should become more clear in the next week or so, I'll be in touch.

·
Registered
817 Posts
bigboulder said:
Yes, this is the same ride that I discussed with MTBCanuk last year before he fell off the face of the earth. I am not sure if we were really slow on saturday or if it was all the map checking trying to find the best routes up through Tahoe Donner. It took us a solid 8 hours and we were pretty much done...when we were done. My initial plan was to make it all the way to castle valley but we wisely turned around at summit lake. Now that I am clear on the route...Going from stampede to htig then coming back through boreal and retracing DLRT, TD and emigrant is a pretty easy route to put together but it will definitely be grueling. The mileage and footage are still pretty much a mystery to me. I would be willing to try under the right circumstances...like not having to drive back to Auburn afterwards. Maybe camping at Stampede is an option. I'm doing the 24 at Boggs this weekend. My next opportunity to pull off something like this would be the weekend of the 31st or even Friday the 30th. Lets talk about this....
Hey Boulder how about next Saturday 24th lets do a long one, iam way over due as u know. I would have been with u if i didn't have to work.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Whoops!

Almost didn't see this post.

I was knackered at the turnaround point (Summit Lake) and was secretly wondering to myself if there was a different way back to the car (as in A SHUTTLE- insert ominous music here). The climb out of ***** Canyon was excruciating, as I had no energy left in my legs or arms, and had to walk the bike almost the entire way (I was on my SS, so that didn't help). Once I got to the top and rejoined Steve, the ride got a little easier & a lot more downhill and I caught second, third & fourth winds. But 8 hours was almost the death of us! :p

God, there's some excellent flowy stuff on that ride, and we had a blast carving thru the forest. Beautiful scenery, and one of the steepest long climbs I've ever pushed my bike up. :eek: All in all, an excellent way to spend a day. :thumbsup:

Steve, thanks for letting me lay out my sleeping bag on that luxurious patch of grass, thanks for the post-ride grub, and I hope the Missus has no lasting effects from her incident.

BB pulls over to let the ladies pass, Most of my shots have Steve's butt in them, as he led me around formosa day. :p

Which way to the bus terminal, that's what I wanna know!!

More of that God-awful scenery.

Self portraits. :D

At the turnaround point. Bleagh!

Crossing the snow field. This was tricky- it was on a slant, and if you slipped, you and the bike were going to slip & slide, then fall a lonnng ways down. :eekster:

This was a difficult creek crossing- the entry was angled onto a narrow bridge. BB tried it once, almost fell, almost impaled himself on that stick sticking up by his left leg. He tried it again and was successful. I didn't have the balls. :skep:

And saving the best view for last.

·
NedwannaB
12,784 Posts
Nice post and ride pix Finch, but...

Finch Platte said:
Almost didn't see this post.

Self portraits. :D

You need a haircut and Steve needs a fork! ;)

Nice job doing 8 hrs on the SS up there. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
997 Posts
Looks like it was a good ride. Thanks for the pics FP. Let me know when you guys do a two day thing, I'll ride with you on your 2ndday :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
nice! (except for the auburn part)
definitely a long day, without HiTG! long climb back up to TD, and a lot of smaller climbs the whole way back -

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm down.....

B-RAY said:
Hey Boulder how about next Saturday 24th lets do a long one, iam way over due as u know. I would have been with u if i didn't have to work.
B Ray!

I should be able to get away on that day.

call me when you can...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts