Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I loaded up my car with my bike today. (yes my car, a 1989 honda 2 door hatchback) I was planning on heading down to the local bike trail but after about 30 minutes of looking for it I decided I would head over the the TVA walking trails.

So anyways, I unload my bike down near the river edge of the trail. I head out east along the river and about 1/4th of the way down the trail I stumble accrost a sign that reads "overlook trail right; Oakwood trail left". I think for a second and decide that the oakwood trail would be safer as I remember that the overlook trail is right next too the river and one wrong step will send me 40ft down the edge into the river. So I whip off the main paved trail and onto a sigle track trail now headed west still right next to the river but I have a safe buffer of thin trees to stop me from flying off into a surely doom. About 5 minutes down this trail it open up and slides under some sort of radio tower and then back into the thicket. I haven't decended nearly as much as I had to climb to get up here so I know there is going to be a steep fall soon as I am coming back to the area that I entered at (Return trip was ALOT faster with a gradual down slope instead of a 45 degree incline like the one i had to go up earlier.)

Then I see it... 45 degree rock stairs and I am going a good clip on this bike. I hit the brakes and the back end starts to fishtail but I am not stoping nearly fast enough but instead slideing on wet grass. I hit the steps still going at a good speed and DOWN I go. I am still on the bike but now I am accelerating down the stairs only about half the time with both tires on the ground. If I press the brakes I am going to fly over the bars and If I dont I will surely kill self. So down I go into the abyss. I am now getting the hang of these stairs when I see a bunch of broken rocks ahead. I think to my self that Its going to be hard to get through those rocks without killing myself. If I hit one my bike will surely come out from under me. About this time I notice that these rocks are the left overs of some horrible event that removed 6 of the steps and left only those few rocks. I fly off of this three and a half foot drop and land on a second pair of 45 degree stairs that are again missing some pieces out of the steps. My hands, jared from the reconnection with the ground, grip into the brakes and with my front wheel being the only tire on the ground the bike goes ass up.

I must of blocked out the fall but I ended up at the bottom of the steps with my bike a good seven feet from me laying on the paved double wide walking trail. I didnt want to get up and access the damage so I just layed there for a while.

A shot bit later some guy on a bike stoped and asked if I was ok. I stood up collected my bike looked up the steps I just came down and said, "No, but I will be OK."

He started to laugh and then said that he found out about that trail the hard way as well. We both laughed for a bit and then headed our seperate ways again. I went back to my car packed it up and went home.

OUCH, but I'll be damned if that trail won't be mine next week!

*Note all 45 degree references are refered to as 45 degrees because thats how they felt.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Master said:
I must of blocked out the fall but I ended up at the bottom of the steps with my bike a good seven feet from me laying on the paved double wide walking trail. I didnt want to get up and access the damage so I just layed there for a while.
Good thing nothing was broken! And I'm glad you're OK, too. ;)

Oooooo... I just hate it when those things sneak up on you like that! Sounds like you held it together pretty well, though. It's hard to stay relaxed when you see impending doom immediately in front of you.

·
Dazed and Confused
304 Posts
Sounds like our Stairs of Despair.

Unfortunately a builder with a view to the future paved a track down the rightside of the steps so a descent no longer threatens your manhood/womanhood.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Generaly I ride slowly down trials the first time, then rip it up on the second pass, so you don't come around the corner and find a 10' drop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts