Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a can of bear spray explode on my matte grey carbon frame. It appears it has left an orange tinted stain. How can I get this out?

·
Magically Delicious
8,942 Posts
have you made any removal attempts? Just wash off?

EDIT: Ha! I read beer, not bear... Orange dyed bear spray. I dunno on that.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,221 Posts
When I worked in shops, we'd sometimes get scuffs and stuff on matte carbon frames. Royal PITA, that matte carbon. esp white matte carbon.

We used Clean Streak on it (basically a residue-free degreaser that evaporates pretty clean) and it worked well. Dunno if it'll work on your particular issue or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I washed it right afterwards, unfortunately it still left a stain. I was thinking about buffing it out, but I'm not sure what that will do to the integrity of the frame.

·
Magically Delicious
8,942 Posts
Im gonna assume the clear coat absorbed the dye and you might be challenged to make that right. I wouldn't be too optimistic on buffing results.

·
Registered
2002 Kona Manomano
23 Posts
Give a car detailing clay bar and some soapy water a try. It will remove contaminants from clear coats.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Denatured Alcohol/Rubbing alcohol or acetone should work fine. Just make sure to wash the bike right after if you use acetone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
CEO Product Failure
1,518 Posts
I'm dying to ask--did you encounter a bear? Or just a misfire? Or did it just explode on its own?

From a recommendation on mtbr.com, I've used Flitch polish to remove scratches and scuffs on my CF frame. Brings it back to as-new.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,155 Posts

If it was what you first thought it was, wouldn’t washing it off be sacrilegious? Maybe licking it off would be more to code.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,155 Posts
Denatured Alcohol/Rubbing alcohol or acetone should work fine. Just make sure to wash the bike right after if you use acetone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty sure Acetone would eat right through the clear coat and or into the carbon itself.

·
Magically Delicious
8,942 Posts
I would not have any issues with acetone and carbon, but I might be concerned about possible 'softening' of the clear coat. I would be more concerned with MEK on paint though.

·
Registered
2002 Kona Manomano
23 Posts
Acetone will damage the clearcoat. Start out with milder alternatives first such as automotive polish, compound, claybar. Any type of solvent will run the chance of damaging the paint/clearcoat.

·
Magically Delicious
8,942 Posts
I'm betting that this dye has permeated the clear coat and nothing that removes surface contaminates will work.

·
Registered
2002 Kona Manomano
23 Posts
Calling the manufacturer of the bear spray may provide some information on how to remove it.

·
Magically Delicious
8,942 Posts
MSDS will not necessarily state what it's made of but is a document that contains information on the potential hazards (health, fire, reactivity and environmental) and how to work safely with the chemical product.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts