Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found a 36" x 48" stainless steel table from a local restaurant equipment store for $250. I read that stainless steel is the least stable among surface table materials. It would be stored in a pole barn where temperature changes would occur throughout the year. As a hobbyist, would this be a good table to invest in?

·
Registered
434 Posts
tojnom said:
I've found a 36" x 48" stainless steel table from a local restaurant equipment store for $250. I read that stainless steel is the least stable among surface table materials. It would be stored in a pole barn where temperature changes would occur throughout the year. As a hobbyist, would this be a good table to invest in?
This is not what you are looking for to build frames on, chances are that it is just sheet metal and not plate or machined plate. Zanks advice is good but alternately you can pick up a craigslist tablesaw, the old, cast iron type which would work for you needs as well

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
granite table 3 1/4" x 2' x 3' for $100

j-ro said:
This is not what you are looking for to build frames on, chances are that it is just sheet metal and not plate or machined plate. Zanks advice is good but alternately you can pick up a craigslist tablesaw, the old, cast iron type which would work for you needs as well
I looked into it and it's definitely not flat, just sheet metal. I did find a Grade A granite table 3 1/4" x 2' x 3' for $80....kind of small, table not included. Pretty good price though...

·
Registered
434 Posts
tojnom said:
I looked into it and it's definitely not flat, just sheet metal. I did find a Grade A granite table 3 1/4" x 2' x 3' for $80....kind of small, table not included. Pretty good price though...
That is a great price and the size is ok too. If you buy it , you can continue to shop around for a bigger one if you need it and trade up by reselling the smaller one.
If you are going to be storing it semi outside, then make a simple plywood cover for it and put a towel or sometiing soft like packing foam between it and the plywood to protect it some when you are not using it, that way it will be clean and unchipped when you need to use it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
tojnom said:
Drove 3 hours this morning to pickup the 2' x 3' plate and the dimensions were listed wrong...actual size was 18" x 24". He felt pretty bad and gave me the plate for free. Probably going to turn around and sell it since it's so small. Now I'm looking at a 24" x 60" steel plate with stand for $200.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.