Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone is getting me a King single speed hub as a gift and asked me if I wanted a stainless cog or an aluminum one. What are the advantages of one or the other? Which is the prefered choice of the majority? Also are the King hubs better than the Paul hubs?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Steel = slightly heavier but wears much slower
Aluminum = slightly lighter but wears much more quickly.

I think most people except for serious weight weenies would agree that steel cogs are the better option.

Both of those hubs are very high quality hubs that will serve you well for a long time. In my opinion it is more of a matter of preference for a cassette hub or using separate freewheels. I have used a King rear hub for about 2 years on my single speed and was very happy with it. No complaints at all. Well, except for when I broke one of the fun bolts (my fault) and it was like $30 or something to replace it. I now have Paul hubs and am perfectly happy with them as well. Don't really think you can go wrong between those two.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,714 Posts
dmdeltesta said:
... a stainless cog or an aluminum one. ...
If you ride your bike hard, you can wear out a King aluminum cog in as little as a couple weeks. IMO, their use should be reserved for rich, gram-counting racers who are willing to spare no expense in their quest to win. In other words, for those who consider singlespeed cogs disposable items.

For the rest of us, steel is the material of choice. (When it comes to King, anyway. I've heard that Endless Bikes' aluminum Kick-Ass cogs are pretty durable. I haven't used one personally).

--Sparty

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys

thanks for the input. considering I bought a moncog, I am not a big wheight weenie looks like I will ask for the steel cog. I am all about durability and bragging about how long I have had something. I do think that anyone who is on this sight is deffinately concious of the wheight of their steeds but durability is what it is about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.