Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I am back to where I started from. I bought my Stache used, so I do not have any included tube. Friz, have you replaced either shift cable on your Stache?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Unless Friz's frames have been drilled out, there are stops for the ferrules where the cables enter the frame. With exception of the carbon Session, all of Trek's internal routines are the same.

Without the tube it isn't too hard to route a cable. Go to your hardware store and get a length of flexible tubing thats big enough to run some cable through it. Then just fish it through. I'd do it without anything mounted to the frame so you can maneuver it around. Then when you're ready to run your cables, simply feed the cable all of the way through your tube, then pull the tube out. Presto, cable is in there. Make sure you run the housing to the shifter FIRST.

Rear derailleur goes on/through the down tube. Front goes through the top tube. Make sure you use ferrules.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have built one from the bare frame and one was assembled by a dealer. i have replaced the housing in the one built by a dealer. He had housing running through the frame so I followed suite. The frame had v slots on the inside that I assumed were for keeping the housing from sliding free. I had no idea they were cable stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,887 Posts
You can run a section of that tubing through from one hole to another and use a small piece of wire with a j-bend to snag it and pull it through the hole. then, when you get to that part feed the cable through and out the back end, and then pull the tube off and continue routing. If you save the piece, you can re-use it by sliding it onto the cable and pulling it back through the hole when you're removing the cable and then it's there when you go to re-install a cable.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sure as heck, there are cable stops in those holes. I guess I'll lighten up my bike by about 20 inches of housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Programmer
56 Posts
I have a carbon stache, and have a question about the front internal entry point for the rear derailleur cable. This hole is small and won't accept a 4mm ferrule. Looks proprietary, what is needed here? Any suggestions? Photos of this area on a complete would be helpful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts