Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a ton of deliberating between MANY different hardtails (including the f29 2, superfly elite, stumpjumper evo, etc), I decided to go with the Trek Stache 8. I wasn't worried about getting a race oriented bike, because I won't be racing. I wanted a bike that would be fairly comfortable for the longer rides, yet would handle well in the tight stuff, and be really playful and fun. I think I got it all in this bike. It's going to take about a week to come in, because nobody has the 8 in stock anywhere near me. I'll post pictures when it finally comes in.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a stache, an 8 frame with 7 parts

You're going to love the bike. I have zero regrets, it rides awesome. Weather has been crappy here, so I only have about 12 miles total on it,

See if your shop will convert it to tubeless when you get it in, im currently waiting for the parts to get in so my LBS can convert it over

check out the stache thread in the trek forum

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have my LBS converting it to tubeless when they are building it, so it'll be tubeless the first time I see it. I figure I might as well get it all done now. I can't wait for this thing. I'm ready to hit the trails!

·
I don't huck.
2,543 Posts
We have been riding one for a couple of weeks now and just converted it to tubeless with the TLR kit and installed a Stealth Reverb. Nice additions. Fun bike so far and not bad weight for the size and such...XL with SPDs, 2 cages, dropper post and tubeless...28lbs 2oz.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've had my stache 8 for a month now and I continue to be amazed at how much fun it is to ride. Climbs great, rolls fast, descends very well. Just have to smooth out the line choice with the hardtail but it brings back fond memories of when I first started riding.

3 mustes with this bike: tubeless setup, shorter stem (I went to 50mm), and a dropper post (stealth reverb preferred). These 3 things really make the bike shine.

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
The Evo is a different beast..less travel and racier geo...need to determine what kind of bike you want.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Rode one at a demo and really liked it too. Very confidence inspiring. However, it has made me hate my 26er and not want to ride it anymore and its up for sale. Now all i do is figure out how I can afford to get one or build something similar on a budget. Wife's in grad school full time, have two kids too so money's tight till she finishes...
Been looking at what other frames have similar geo and watching local and ebay for deals on forks.

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Home

20130402_224635.jpg 20130402_224653.jpg

Finally got the 8 home! Haven't had a chance to take it out, aside from around the neighborhood. Not 100% sure I want to go for a clipless setup (regardless of the constant badgering by friends) so I decided to get a pair of Saints for now. They look awesome and once I removed the washers and rode them with my 510s my feet felt glued to the pedal.

I am so stoked to take this thing out on the trail. Hopefully I'll get a chance this weekend.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I have been debating this bike. I keep thinking full suspension because I have been riding one for so long.

Something keeps drawing back to the stache 8. I even drove 2 hour to a trek demo event to ride one. I wish I could have a SF 100 AL elite and the stache.

Great looking bike!

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,425 Posts
I absolutely love the Stache 8, although I can not afford one. I prefer the hardtails to any full-suspension bike because they are in my mind nimbler, can climb better, and can also be ridden on the road easier. I also believe that hardtails are faster than a FS bike.

·
singletrak junkie
95 Posts
I was thinking off changing the seat post to a 20 mm offset as opposed to the 0 offset that is stock. My Mamba had a 20mm and I think I felt better pedaling . Is it just me ? I got 100 plus trail miles and something feels abit diff.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,887 Posts
I was thinking off changing the seat post to a 20 mm offset as opposed to the 0 offset that is stock. My Mamba had a 20mm and I think I felt better pedaling . Is it just me ? I got 100 plus trail miles and something feels abit diff.
I like the stock post having a zero offset clamp, but I tend to prefer steeper seat tube angles.

·
I don't huck.
2,543 Posts
Keep in mind the seat tube angle when you consider situations like this. Not sure what the Mamba is, but the 72* Stache will already have you back behind the crank a bit.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My buddy just got a stache 8 and I just got a 2013 Stumpjumper FSR elite 29er. I love his bike, very fun to ride, and is fast and nimble.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After 100+ miles I can definitely say that I LOVE this bike!! I went from a hardtail 26er to this and after 10 miles or so I got the handling dialed in. This thing rips through the windy singletrack, climbs like a beast, is easy to get off the ground, and handles rocks/roots/logs like a champ. It is unbelievably fun and I am so glad I went for it over a straight XC bike like I was going to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts