Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Master of Disaster
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in buying a stable platform rear shock to improve the syrup-like pedaling performance of my bike. What are some solid, low cost options? I was looking at the Manitou Swinger 4/6 way, and both seemed to do what I wanted.

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
We will need some more information . . .

Thrillkil said:
I am interested in buying a stable platform rear shock to improve the syrup-like pedaling performance of my bike. What are some solid, low cost options? I was looking at the Manitou Swinger 4/6 way, and both seemed to do what I wanted.
Like: What bike/frame? Air or Coil? What type of riding? How much do you weigh? What is the rest of the bike setup? Eye to eye measurement? Shock stroke? Etc.

Just to name a few of the thousands of unanswered questions we might have in order to give you GOOD advice.

although some dudes around here MIGHT just tell you to get a "XYZ" shock 'cause they are the shanizle.

So through down with some info, and we will see if we can help

·
Master of Disaster
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bike: Large '02 Santa Cruz Super 8
Riding Type: DH race
my weight: ~140

Bike setup - Fox Vanilla RC, Boxxer World Cup, Sun Doublewide wheels, Race Face cranks, Hayes MAG brakes, 8 inch rotors, XT rear derailleur, azonic bars.
shock type: coil
shock eye-to-eye: ~8 inches
shock stroke: ~2.25-2.35 inches

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Hum . . .

You should have lots of options. I think the Super 8 is a great frame (I'm not a fan of the single piviot suspension design) So I wouldn't say it's my first choice, but from what I understand SPV technology will "help" that bike alot.

You should check with Answer Products about Swinger 4 and 6 way shocks

Fox for a DHX 5.0

Progressive Suspension for a 5th element

and Risse, Avalanche, and I think there are some others out there, I'm not sure which will fit, which is best for you, and which cost the least.

I would guess you might find something in the Classifieds here on MTBR or ebay and just take some time to do a little searching and you should find something.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
A lot of people seem to really favor the Avalanche shock for those Super 8 bikes. Despite it being just about the most expensive option out there. :p If you don't go for that, I'd probably go for the DHX because it'll have the feel of the VanillaRC but 50x better and not nearly as much bob during pedalling.

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Progressive lists this on their site:
Super eight SM, MD, LG 00-02 7.88 2.25

Most of the Swinger's don't come in that size they only list 7.875 x 2.0 so I'm guessing that isn't going to work.

I don't know about the 5th, but the Swinger's are 4 bills, unless you buy is used.

I bet the Avy is more, and if the DHX fits, Go-Ride has them for 4 bills. I think that's the best you are gonna do.

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
DJBiker said:
Progressive lists this on their site:
Super eight SM, MD, LG 00-02 7.88 2.25

Most of the Swinger's don't come in that size they only list 7.875 x 2.0 so I'm guessing that isn't going to work.

I don't know about the 5th, but the Swinger's are 4 bills, unless you buy is used.

I bet the Avy is more, and if the DHX fits, Go-Ride has them for 4 bills. I think that's the best you are gonna do.
It's the same thing.

Get a DHX5.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.