Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I waited 4 months on a WB bw.8 and it's still not in sight, so I gave up and got a Reba-Race. After putting it in I noticed the external gate adjustment knob hits my downtube. It hits by about half the hieght of the knob, so it's just barley, but enough to really ding it if I fell.

There are 3 Models of Reba: SL, Race, & Team. The Reba SL has an internal Gate adjustment via 2.5mm, while both the Race and team's are external. (Incase your interested the Team version is the same as the Race, but has a hollow fork crown making it lighter 50-60 grams). I guess I have 2 solutions. Get the Reba-SL with internal adj. or get just get a replacment part converting mine to a Reba SL, Or maybe option 3 forget about it and keep the wheel side down.
 

Attachments

·
Recovering couch patato
Joined
·
13,971 Posts
That sukks man. Also consider a greater stack lower headset cup. It'll never be as good as the King, but could probably easily solve the problem.
29"er have a longer fork, but similar BB height, making the downtube angle steeper, reducing fork-downtube clearance by a few mm's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,028 Posts
Posted that a while back...

...when I installed mine on my KM.

My takeaway - if my wheel gets that far to the right when I don't want it to I probably have bigger issues than dinging my DT...I'm thinking OTB and Delgado becoming a Deltaco.

Sen
 

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
Joined
·
3,909 Posts
Cloxxki said:
That sukks man. Also consider a greater stack lower headset cup. It'll never be as good as the King, but could probably easily solve the problem.
29"er have a longer fork, but similar BB height, making the downtube angle steeper, reducing fork-downtube clearance by a few mm's.
I ran into this same dilemma when installing a Fox fork on a friend's frame. I got him a FSA Orbit UF headset, which I have yet to install (hopefully today, Markie!). The bottom cup and race stack height is 16mm, and I think Kings are 13mm. Hopefully this works, but if not, he gave me permission to Dremel the Fox's adjusting knobs a little bit.

BTW, this is the first time in a loooooong time that I purchased anything besides a King headset. In fact, I hadn't played with a new, uninstalled non-King headset since I last worked at a shop five years ago. Anyways, these FSA headsets seem really light and well made. If I was looking for something cheaper than a King, I'd consider one of these.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,056 Posts
So what does the Floodgate adjustment do again? I'm considering a Reba - Race vs SL - and would be wary of any clearance issues. (I do not crash gracefully.) Is it the lockout? Rebound or compression dampening? If lockout, then yeah I'd like to hit that on the fly without a tool! S
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts
Hexonxonx said:
I waited 4 months on a WB bw.8 and it's still not in sight, so I gave up and got a Reba-Race. After putting it in I noticed the external gate adjustment knob hits my downtube. It hits by about half the hieght of the knob, so it's just barley, but enough to really ding it if I fell.

There are 3 Models of Reba: SL, Race, & Team. The Reba SL has an internal Gate adjustment via 2.5mm, while both the Race and team's are external. (Incase your interested the Team version is the same as the Race, but has a hollow fork crown making it lighter 50-60 grams). I guess I have 2 solutions. Get the Reba-SL with internal adj. or get just get a replacment part converting mine to a Reba SL, Or maybe option 3 forget about it and keep the wheel side down.
I had the same problem with a Reba Team on my Hammerhead. I added a second crown race, which is a little more than 3mm thick, to to keep the fork from hitting the frame. Extra King crown races are pretty easy to find for about $10. I did have to do a bit of dremel work on it though - there is a lip that needs to be ground off the top of the crown race to make it flat. The thick part of the steerer tube that the race presses on to is tall enough that the top crown race is on there tight.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's enough to make you go ridged

DSR said:
So what does the Floodgate adjustment do again? I'm considering a Reba - Race vs SL - and would be wary of any clearance issues. (I do not crash gracefully.) Is it the lockout? Rebound or compression dampening? If lockout, then yeah I'd like to hit that on the fly without a tool! S
This fork has 5 adjustments
1. Positive Air
2. Negative Air
3. Dampening
4. Compression
5. Floodgate

I'll leave out the first 3

The compression ring switches this fork from full time suspension to stable platform aka "Locked Out". But it's not really locked out because it will move/"Blowoff" if you hit a big enough bump. The gate adjustment sets the sensitivity to which the Blowoff will happen.

I can't see setting the blowoff tolerance on the fly an issue. If I'm riding fairly smooth single track I'm in Stable Platform, if I'm going through a rock garden it's in full suspension. I know there are place in between, but gees. Usually I'm concentrated on the trail than flipping some knob.

Also the Reba-Team isn't in production yet. Actually a lot of things are unavailable from the distributers Karate monkeys, WB Forks, XTR chainrings, . . . Last year I had to wait 6 months on a frame that was back ordered because of the "Steel Shortage" or whatever. But that's a different subject.

With that said it should be no surprise that I've decided to get the internal flood gate adj. It will be here tues.

Does anybody really twist that floodgate knob that much, I mean why not have on the fly dampening adjustment. I think that's a bigger issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,056 Posts
Hex - Thanks! Agreed that the on-the-fly floodgate adjustment doesn't seem super critical.

All of them have an external lockout though (versus the floodgate adjustment) right? Either external on the fork crown or on your bars with the poploc right?

Sorry for being slow. The RS website doesn't do a great job of explaining in my opinion. Thanks, S
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
. . . and there you have it

So it looks like swapping the external gate adj. for the internal is a workable solution. I say workable because it doesn't completely clear the down tube. The dust cap just hits it, and rolls under it. It scuffs it a bit, but if I fall a scuff will be a lot better than a dent. If you take the dust cap off it will actually clear . . . but just

Also here's a pic of my rear end . . . (that sounded bad) . . . I'm waiting for my rims, Bontrager, Mustangs. I learned an interesting thing about them this week. They come in 3 different models, Regular V-Brake, O.S.B. (Off Set Bed) V-Brake, and DISC. They don't make a DISC O.S.B. They don't make one because the DISC version is offset by default to compensate for dishing for the rotor. Oh yea, that skewer is just in there so I can adjust the brake caliper. I'm getting a set of Black Hope Skewers, or maybe go for a set of Red, or Blue Salsa skewers?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,028 Posts
F the Salsa QRs

Once you see the QC and durability of the Hope QRs (brass vs. plastic bushings) the Salsas look like aftermarket knock-offs.

Sean

Hexonxonx said:
I'm getting a set of Black Hope Skewers, or maybe go for a set of Red, or Blue Salsa skewers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hope'n

Soupboy said:
Once you see the QC and durability of the Hope QRs (brass vs. plastic bushings) the Salsas look like aftermarket knock-offs.

Sean
Yea, I've never seen a Hope QR, but it looks like it's well made. I'm also Digg'n on their new stems, but what's 2014 Aluminum?
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top