Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cheers all, I packed the bike and was told of trail I never heard of, so I had to hit it. The trail is mostly Bruce trail very Technical and puts Halton Hills rocks to shame. I loved it!
The only wish I had is that I brought a G.P.S system with me. I did get lost many times and needed three Hours to find where I parked my truck to get back home. I realized this as I was half way to Acton on my bike completley disoriented. But I loved every minute of it. CHEERS TO ST. HELENS Trail. CHEERS LOPEZ:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
I rode from there in the fall. There is a way you can almost connect to the Hilton Falls trail from here but I didn't figure it and I was on my own. I guess I just picked some wrong turns. The trails were rocky for sure. I ended up riding next to the gravel pit for awhile and eventually down the escarpment which exited me near the golf course (Greystone). Made for one helluva ride. The 29er wheels were a blessing with all the rocks (I only had to walk about 50 feet of the whole trail)...I thought for sure I was going to endo.

I know there are several groups that leave from St. Helena's Road all year long so there must be some good trails in there somewhere. I'll probably wait until the warm weather arrives before doing more exploration. Those rocks must be really slick right now.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Vernon VernDog said:
Where about is this trail start/parking area nearby, looks like around the milton area.
St. Helena Road is off of Hwy 25 North of the 401 and it is off to the left when travelling north. It's north of Campbellville Rd. W and south of 15th Sideroad. I'm guessing this is where the access to the trail is - it's a dead-end so I think you might be able to park at the end of the street.

Didn't know there was a trail in there - looks like I'll have to check it out sometime.

Thanks for sharing the info Lopez! :thumbsup:

Spent all my childhood days playing golf in Acton... :D

·
Registered
516 Posts
Yes, there is a discontinued stretch of Bruce trail that connects from just north of the Hilton parking lot off 6th? line over towards highway 25. It passes by some large gravel pits at times. Alternatively, well to the north of the road closure somewhere I believe is one of the blue Hilton falls side trail loops of the Bruce trail. It's quite a large area. I was hiking that day not riding but was surprised at how much there was in there.

The stretch of main Bruce trail running southwest back to 6th is definitely some technical rock!

·
livin' large
534 Posts
I actually ride there fairly often, and there is more than one trail there. If you park at the dead end of st helena road and take the first trail on the left you ride some rocks that make hilton look like albion in comparisson. There are many off shoots and loops, but the jewel takes you staight acroos to 6th line over a lot of rock. If you want a real epic ride you can cut into hilton by the golf course ride up bent rim and pop back out on to 6th line cross back over and take an easier trail back to where you parked. I done this ride a couple of times and it absolutely ruined me, it's fantastic.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hey Lopez,

We ride that area quite a bit, but we normally start at the 6th line parking lot that goes into Hilton Falls. We cross the road and head east. Once we pop out at St. Helena's Rd. we continue on the Bruce trail for a bit. If you continue further, you run into an area that looks like Bent Rim Trail on steroids. About 30-40 minutes of hike-a-bike / somewhat rideable trails. We usually skip that because it's on the tail end of our ride. Then we take the road back to our starting point (approx 10-15 minutes)

Here's a link to my GPS data for that particular ride:

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/invitation/email/accept.mb?senderPk.pkValue=-2&unitSystemPkValue=1&episodePk.pkValue=1799133

Cheers,
phil

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sperky said:
I rode from there in the fall. There is a way you can almost connect to the Hilton Falls trail from here but I didn't figure it and I was on my own. I guess I just picked some wrong turns. The trails were rocky for sure. I ended up riding next to the gravel pit for awhile and eventually down the escarpment which exited me near the golf course (Greystone). Made for one helluva ride. The 29er wheels were a blessing with all the rocks (I only had to walk about 50 feet of the whole trail)...I thought for sure I was going to endo.

I know there are several groups that leave from St. Helena's Road all year long so there must be some good trails in there somewhere. I'll probably wait until the warm weather arrives before doing more exploration. Those rocks must be really slick right now.
CHEERS to that downhill strecth was thrilling untill I hit the dead end but was fun anyway, I did jump the guard rail and slip into a smaller track 1 klm loop to be chased by a dog who took a chomp on my bike and needed to climb that hill back to the main trail. CHEERS LOPEZ

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
sperky said:

I know there are several groups that leave from St. Helena's Road all year long so there must be some good trails in there somewhere. I'll probably wait until the warm weather arrives before doing more exploration. Those rocks must be really slick right now.[/QU

·
Registered
385 Posts
Vernon VernDog said:
Has anyone been out here this spring/summer?I haven't made it out here yet, been racing/training/working quite a bit. VernDog
Funny you should ask as I just rode it this morning with someone who knows the trails extremely well. Unless you know your way around there it is very easy to get lost and also quite easy to miss a fair bit of the trail. There is lots of technical double track but the really technical stuff is the singletrack off-shoots all over the place. I'd say I rode maybe 50% of the trail and walked the rest. The guy I rode with did most of the trail but was on a 5" trail bike which is probably a bit more suited to the trail...also had on body armour and didn't mind bashing his bike around...kinda the opposite of me!

But the start of course is St. Helena Rd....the first off-shoot is maybe 50 yards down the trail on the left side. The possibilities are endless from there. I preferred the double track as there were usually a couple of lines and I could get through most of the rock gardens on my 3" 29er full suspension cross country bike. On the single track there were more boulders, drops offs, and long (i.e. 50-100 yard) bowling ball type sections to deal with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.