Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry I wasn't able to check on the board over the weekend. Getting through the show was tough, and then I was on the first flight out of Madison on Saturday to get to the SSWC in time for the prerace party.

I had a great time at the event. For those of you who doubt that the movement is catching on, you should have been there. I bet about 1/3 of the contestants were on big wheels. That is a pretty strong showing. Many thanks to Eric Roman, Frank and Jim from Mt. Nittany Wheelworks. Those guys are great. They have done a ton for the 29er movement in their area and they put on one hell of a weekend long party. Man was that fun.

Our man from Wisco showed them how it was done in the race. You should have seen him, he charged off the front from the very beginning and never looked back. Even though T Brown and Adam Craig were charging hard the whole race. Jesse did a great job. Everyone at Fisher is freaking out around the office about the win. It is like we won the Olympics.

Travis Brown was on a prototype Trek. He is way into big wheels. He and his wife are always tweaking bikes and have tried just about every combination. He likes the big wheel in the front because he thinks that is where most of the big wheel advantage comes from. He likes the lightweight and tire selection of 26" in the back.

Now to the rumors. I don't know who the source was for the information regarding our full suspension bike and Tubeless Ready. They are absolutely wrong.

We are planning on delivering a Supercaliber 29 full suspension bike during the 2006 model year. It will probably be late, that is why we are going to continue to sell the Sugars for this year.

We also have 29" Tubeless Ready on the project board for 2007. I will probably be riding prototypes by the spring and will give an update when I know more. How sweet will this be?

As a side note, I had a few thousand Cameron Chambers posters made to celebrate his winning the 24 Hour Solo National Championships. 50 went to each outside rep. My goal was to get them on shop walls, but they are pretty cool if you can find them.

I'm back now and will check in everyday to answer questions on this post if there are any.

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
"We are planning on delivering a Supercaliber 29 full suspension bike during the 2006 model year. It will probably be late, that is why we are going to continue to sell the Sugars for this year"

Great News !!!! I hope it's true

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh...one more thing

You should have seen all of the Rigs there. So many that Dejay and another guy got their bikes confused and rode the whole race mixed up.

Even Gary was there riding a Rig.

Attachments

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Information Source

Hey, I'm going to put some of the blame for "the rumors" on myself. Also just wanted to let you know FisherGuy, that these rumors are straight outta the inside tech guys mouth. I'm not going to name names, cause that is not cool here, but it would appear that the lines of communication at Trek could stand a little "un-clogging" ;)

I don't like to report un-substantiated "rumors", so I hung out over at the Fisher display for at least two hours looking for an ear to bend. Sadly, there was no one available to talk to. Hopefully everyone was busy writing up business. I hope so, because I was disappointed that there wasn't a Fisher person to talk to. Unlike last year, when I didn't have any problem with getting info. There weren't even any catalogs around either.........well, this is getting into stuff that probably shouldn't be gotten into here, sorry!

Point is, I reported what I was told by a credible source from inside Trek itself. Sorry if it's not true, and for crying out loud, I hope it's NOT! Please accept my appologies!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
C'mon Ted, you're a web journalist! You have a great source, let them get their story straight.

Perhaps you got a story that originated in Trek not being 100% behind the whole 29" project, someone bending reality to kick 29" in the ankles? I know it sounds silly, but I've seen more extreme cases of people getting personal preference confused with facts.

I'm glad to hear the Race Day is still on, but bummed tubeless will have ti wait another year. We could really use a bit more "sexyness" to 29", and we're limited to looking at Fisher/Bontrager to come up with it for us. One or two new models, new alu and carbon rigid forks, and a new 1.8" tire, can hit a disappointment, as it will probably make up for 50% of the news we're going to see this show season, for the whole movement.

·
Registered
229 Posts
well that clears one thing up

At one point whilst watching the gokart action unfold I turned around and swore I saw a pink single speed with "Trek" on the downtube. Huh, 29er too. Oh, it has a dual crown fork. Yeah, right. That's when the nekkid Canadian ran past, and at this point I just figured someone had put some of the brown acid in my ale :confused:

Mr. Fisher was riding strong. But he owes me and one of the women rider's for distracting all those hornets!

·
Registered
847 Posts
You guys won the Olympics,

so give him a big fat bonus and guaranteed contract! Otherwise Niner will lure him away and send him to New Zealand next year! Win the race on Sunday, sell bikes on Monday...

The rigmeister will keep those rigs rolling out the door no matter what color they are!

Actually, I think it's great that Jesse has always raced on good bikes but not on the fanciest, blinglespeed/shminglespeed uberbike. Friendly guy too.

FisherGuy said:
Our man from Wisco showed them how it was done in the race. You should have seen him, he charged off the front from the very beginning and never looked back. Even though T Brown and Adam Craig were charging hard the whole race. Jesse did a great job. Everyone at Fisher is freaking out around the office about the win. It is like we won the Olympics.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Communication breakdown...

To Ted, sorry you got the wrong information. We can control what we teach, but we can't control what people learn. You just grabbed the wrong person. Feel free to let that person contact me and I'll bring them up to speed on the line. I wish I was there to talk to you in person but I was off at the race, a welcome escape after a week at the show.

Price isn't set on the bike yet, either for 26 or 29. Sorry.

I forwarded the Maverick fork question onto Ariel who set up Travis's front end. I'll post when he sends a reply.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I think Gary's shorts make for a nice transition from the purple frame to the Subaru jersey :)

Was Superman riding a matching frame?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Still gutted that I couldn't make SSWC this year.

Dr. Jon! Hello from across the pond (It's Chris G.) Heard you were at SSWC. I'm so sorry I couldn't make it out to see you and the rest of the UK contingent. Hi to Trina for me.

The tartan shorts have no equal. I'm still wishing I had stolen Chipps' pair before I left. They are much better than Phaty's kilt. If the kilt had been tartan...that might be a different story.

FisherGuy...which are you (WSD Demo Chris here)? Just found an '05 rig that Lester picked up from Evergreen Cycles for me. It is waiting for my return to Boulder next week. I've recruited Ray to help me trick it out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.