Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
395 Fat Tire Council
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After riding several ssv equiped marzocchi's, i've come to the conclusion that they definatly have a "way to fast" speed at which the tire just seems to float and not make solid contact at all. That combined with the jarring compression spikes leads me to believe that riding these forks fast on rough terrain is asking to stack hard, but then again, maybe that's just me. Anyone else feel the same?

·
493 Posts
SocalSuperhero said:
After riding several ssv equiped marzocchi's, i've come to the conclusion that they definatly have a "way to fast" speed at which the tire just seems to float and not make solid contact at all. That combined with the jarring compression spikes leads me to believe that riding these forks fast on rough terrain is asking to stack hard, but then again, maybe that's just me. Anyone else feel the same?
No. They have worked fine for me. SSV is not as nice as SSVF or HSCV, but not bad. Some people are picky, but a nice SSV fork is way better than nothing at all.

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Isn't the SSV (Speed Sensitive Valving) mostly just a spring?

Like a really, shinney, pretty, tube with a spring in it? (some people call this a POGO STICK)

I think even just one HSCV cartridge is much better.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
yeah if your damping isnt doing its job, your wheel is basically out of control. No control = no traction = big problems.

The was a definit point when my skill level got beyond what my old JrT could provide, like a speed threshold. Beyond that you are desperatly trying to keep the bike under you.

·
rollin
2,646 Posts
marzocchi's are pretty adjustable. you should be able to adjust it to make it feel the way you want.
has the fork ever been rebuilt? that could have something to do with it. new oil and slick honey on the seals will make the fork feel better than new. maybe you should put some 10w oil in it instead of 7.5w.
if all else fails, you should be able to upgrade the internals to hscv. just like with the jr. t, you can upgrade the internals and make it a sr. t.

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
BikeMk said:
No. They have worked fine for me. SSV is not as nice as SSVF or HSCV, but not bad. Some people are picky, but a nice SSV fork is way better than nothing at all.
You've never ridden a decently damped fork before have you?

·
Registered
868 Posts
zedro said:
doesnt sound like you've owned a SSV(F) fork...theres no "Spiking +/-" knob....
That was the problem with my JrT, the spiking +/- knob was stuck at +.

People who like their SSV/F forks really need to spend some time on an HCSV fork. No amount of tuning of an SSV fork is going to make it feel just the way I want it. I want it to be very responsive and plush over small stuff and still suck up large hits. I want it to do this both at low and high speeds. If you think your SSV fork is doing a great job at it, try out a top end fork and you will see the differance.

I will not buy another SSV/F fork.

·
395 Fat Tire Council
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
zedro said:
yeah if your damping isnt doing its job, your wheel is basically out of control. No control = no traction = big problems.

The was a definit point when my skill level got beyond what my old JrT could provide, like a speed threshold. Beyond that you are desperatly trying to keep the bike under you.
That's what I wanted to hear before i finally pulled the trigger on a new DH fork :D

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
some of us just have the skills to adapt.......
lol...yeah right. Physics is physics, your bike can only hold a line according to it. You could never be as fast in corners because your tires wont be touching the ground when they need to be. Ask any race car driver, theres a point when speed impedes handling, the better the cars setup, the further away that point is.

People seem to forget that suspension is more than just for lazy conforts, it actually serves a real performance purpose.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
zedro said:
lol...yeah right. Physics is physics, your bike can only hold a line according to it. You could never be as fast in corners because your tires wont be touching the ground when they need to be. Ask any race car driver, theres a point when speed impedes handling, the better the cars setup, the further away that point is.

People seem to forget that suspension is more than just for lazy conforts, it actually serves a real performance purpose.
True, but a great rider/driver on an average suspension is usually going to be faster than an average rider/driver on great suspension.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
soooo, you are telling me that no matter what, a fully is faster thru corners than hardtail?
True, but a great rider/driver on an average suspension is usually going to be faster than an average rider/driver on great suspension.
c'mon, apples to apples.

1st, theres the notion of ideal suspension for the situation, ie. F1 suspension for the F1 circuit, ralley for the ralley circuit. So 8" of suspension wont be ideal for that road race, so no, you wont see many 10" monsters on that groomed DS course getting sucked into the G-outs. But for that corner with the 6" babyhead in the middle......

2nd, i'm talking about the same rider on the same course; if he has traction issues with the crappy suspension and has the ability to go faster, the better suspension will let him do that. In fact, poor suspension systems can be more detrimental than nothing at all; just imagine a coil with no rebound damping, the hardtail would be better, get the idea?

people get too caught up in absolutes, he was asking if its worth getting better dampers if you are anticipating high speeds and the roughs, which is an obvious yes. Unless he's WCH, in which case his skills make up for the pull of gravity itself :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
actually he asked if "riding these forks(SSV(F)) fast on rough terrain is asking to stack hard".....

i say no....
you have better chances of stacking with SSV than with something better after that tire leaves the ground in a corner. And riding fast on rough terrain is asking to stack hard no matter what.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.