Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SST

Numbuhio and I rode SST today with 3 crashes between the 2 of us and some near crashes avoided. Numbs header into a tree ended the day with flair, and probably a trip for X-rays. Ride safe!

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
On that tip......SST - Sat morning at 8:30

I gotta dust off the big bike, so I'm heading to SST around 8:30 or 9 manana for a quick session (promised the gal I'd do some work on the house). So, If anyone is interested, I'll be out there on my Stinky hitting the flow park area 'til about 10:30.

Hope Numb is aight....that place has taken out a person or two.

Chers,
EBX

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I know the place seems pretty easy. The little dips and one big one can be deceptive. I know when I was riding in the spring. a woman told me she did an endo and knock two teeth out on one of the small hills just to the north of the parking lot. Yeah, hope numb is alright. I am going to get my knee scoped for an injury way back when. Might as well do it when the riding is slow and cold.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
South Seatac has claimed it's share of riders, of that i know for a fact. i drove one guy to the hospital for a broken clavicle myself, end of ride. It was the infamous let's do that jump ONE MORE TIME.....

·
El Malo
549 Posts
I was told at work I had to find something to do for 6 days or I'd lose'm.
So, I took a half day off on Friday and headed out with a coupla guys.
I hadn't been out there since last march and figured "I've had this damned Kona Dirt Jumper for a year, I've ridden it 6 times and it's never been jumped... hey, but Immabout to".

I got there and suddenly, I felt totally sketched out cos the geometry and feel is a bit different than with a FS.
I saw the kiddie line (far right) and just didn't have much confidence but still hit it.
After a couple of runs down that line, the feel for the bike was coming around pretty quickly. Before I knew it, I had been cuttin' loose on the other lines and feeling good enought to work on table tweaks.
That burly booter with a gapped tranny was gonna be too much to try that day so I had to walk away from that and also the infamous 15ft trail gap... but the tree root drop was buttery smooth, tho'.

I was definitely a bit sore on the weekend from that session and was once again reminded that you gotta be smooth on them HAR-TAILS or they'll make you pay :D

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
I was definitely a bit sore on the weekend from that session and was once again reminded that you gotta be smooth on them HAR-TAILS or they'll make you pay :D
'Mando,

I was sore today and I was out there on Saturday riding my Stinky!! I think it has more to do with the fact that I hadn't spent several hours jumping my bike since September in Whistler. Granted, the hardtail will make you pay more for not cleaning a landing than a duallie, but my arms were still feeling it today. BTW, I had two hard bottom outs (one on the table and one on the root drop) and was reminded why the extra squish is nice on my aging bones!! ;)

Ooh, btw, the new booter line on the right (at the table) is so nice, but kinda scary because it really sends ya up in the air. I got on Matt's wheel and followed him off it a couple of times before I felt comfortable on it, but it's a blast! He and his buddy were hitting the trail gap and making it look SO easy. It actually got me thinking about it and I was gonna get on his wheel, but I decided to be smart for once and not hit that yet.

Hey, I know you have lot's of time off so keep me alerted of your ride schedule over the next coupla weeks.

Chers,
EB

·
Banned
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Numb thought the gap was a roller since he didn't scout it from above (neither did I). He bombed over the kicker and proceeded to endo into the gap. Luckily I have 8 inch rotors. :D

·
El Malo
549 Posts
waitaminit, did you say that Numb thought the trail gap was a roller but yet bombed it and endo'ed off it ?

... from the top of the booter to the trail it has to be at least about 10ft down...
I see minor miscalculations by experienced riders on big stunts end up in a bad way, so hearing about someone completely disregarding a clearly visible 15ft drop is insane :confused:
I won't even hit that stunt unless I'm on my FS bike...

How'd he make out after he hit dirt ?

·
Banned
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
waitaminit, did you say that Numb thought the trail gap was a roller but yet bombed it and endo'ed off it ?

... from the top of the booter to the trail it has to be at least about 10ft down...
I see minor miscalculations by experienced riders on big stunts end up in a bad way, so hearing about someone completely disregarding a clearly visible 15ft drop is insane :confused:
I won't even hit that stunt unless I'm on my FS bike...

How'd he make out after he hit dirt ?
Walked away unscathed from that one. 1 hour later seperated his shoulder on a 2 foot kicker.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
zdfg said:
Walked away unscathed from that one. 1 hour later seperated his shoulder on a 2 foot kicker.
Might it be possible that you two are talking about something completely different? ZD, the trail gap is huge. It might be rollable, but it would probably result in serious carnage if one tried it.

I don't have a pic of it, but it's about 15 feet.

EB

·
El Malo
549 Posts
This is what I'm talkin' bout... as you can see, there's no mistaking this sweet stunt... and hardly much room for error...
mmm, it sure would have been good to be out there this fine and sunny afternoon :cool:

Attachments

·
El Malo
549 Posts
Ok, let's try again.... my boy's got an "image condom" on the original... so, I had to hi-jack this one from elsewhere...
A bit small, but should work...

Attachments

·
El Malo
549 Posts
JLantz said:
Paul Kitner (Jill Kitner's brother) did that gap on his BMX.

Wow, that's awesome.

It takes some precision to pull that off... unfortunately, in the long run, no matter how smooth you are, the body will make you pay for that type of antics.
In my case, I'm getting older and need at least some suspension in the front to take the edge off when going off edge ;)

·
Keep The Rubber Side Down
1,685 Posts
50/50

ebxtreme said:
I gotta dust off the big bike, so I'm heading to SST around 8:30 or 9 manana for a quick session (promised the gal I'd do some work on the house). So, If anyone is interested, I'll be out there on my Stinky hitting the flow park area 'til about 10:30.

Hope Numb is aight....that place has taken out a person or two.

Chers,
EBX
If I don't get the urge to play basketball, you might see me out there then.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Mellow Yellow said:
If I don't get the urge to play basketball, you might see me out there then.
Hey Mellow,

That message was from last week, :eek: but I'll probably be out there around 1 PM tomorrow if anyone wants to join me at the Flowpark. I'll be on my Stinky Primo (older version). The flowpark is in great shape right now.

Chers,
EBX

1 - 16 of 16 Posts