Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if there is any reason why using the Middleburn cranks with a spider is not as good of an idea as just using the Uno ring setup.

If I got the 32 tooth ring, I'd also have to get a new cog. And if I did that, maybe I could get a narrower BB too, and in turn bring the cog in a little from the out side of the freewheel?

Can anyone comment or provide feedback?

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I have both. I haven't used the spider version much yet so I can only make a guess.

I reckon the big advantage of the single ring is that it is likely to be much stiffer than a spider with bolted ring, but all Middleburn stuff is well made, so it's not something I would worry about. The hard coated rings seem everlasting.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,473 Posts
Runout....

I'd expect the UNO to have less runout.

Anyone out there who can comment on this?

I've been looking for a dedicated SS crank-setup, like the UNO setup, that might aleviate the runout issues I've had.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
FoShizzle said:
chicks dig the Uno though no doubt, either will work just fine...in sure it will be SS-dedicated I would simply get the UNO as there would then be no disadvantage
Chics [in general ]wouldn't know one crank from another let alone uno from a spider :D

nice try bro :thumbsup:

UNO is sexy so are MBs or is that MIBs :cool:

·
Que je suis bete!
438 Posts
Narrower chainline

An Uno set up with a 118 BB gives me a 53 mm. chainline up front. Fact. An Uno set up should give you a narrower chainline than a spider. Speculation. So, if you went with say a 111 BB, you could get down to about 50 mm. up front. Play with your rear cog to see what you can get. One caveat. I'm talking about an Isis BB, not square taper. If you get your chainline front and rear within a couple of mm. and you keep a good chain on, I wouldn't think that runout would be a major issue, unless you have a flexy rear triangle. Speculation.

·
Category Winner
6,141 Posts
Miker J said:
It refers to the tight-loose chain tension as the drivetrain cycles.

I have a tendency to drop chains from frame flex on hard out of the saddle efforts. Loose spots on the chain tend to exacerbate this.
I have very little runout.

This is one of the main reasons I went with MB.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.