Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering trying to build an older Superfly into a SS. What sort of chain tensioner would be the best to use?

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
fallzboater said:
I'm considering trying to build an older Superfly into a SS. What sort of chain tensioner would be the best to use?
'Best' is a very subjective term! Best for you will certainly not be best for someone else. There are many ways to do it.

Simple chain tensioner like a Surly: Cheap but there are many reports of problems with the springloaded tensioners. There are also tensioners that are fixed and seem to work better, like the Rennen. Cost a little more but more reliable. It is a VERY good idea with either of these to run them in push-up mode rather than push-down.

ENO Eccentric wheel: Nice clean way of chain tensioning, but you have to buy a new wheek and are stuck with freewheels. Also have to reset tension everytime you remove the rear wheel.

BB Eccentric: 2 are available, Forward components and Trick Stuff. Which one you use depends on your budget and what kind of cranks you will be using. These are not cheap(but cheaper than a new ENO wheel), but a great way to SS a normal frame. Adjustment takes a bit, but once it is set it only needs to be adjusted when changing ratios or for chain stretch.

If it were me, I would go with the third option, that frame deserves the best!

Mark

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly, I would try to use as many of my existing parts as possible, and try to minimize my investment in other stuff needed, at least initially. So, I'd probably start with a chain tensioner. I do have a XTR 960 rear hub, 180mm crank, and brakes (XT levers) that I plan to use.

I also have a Duc 32 fork, which I'll need to buy a shorter upper triple-clamp for, and I'll need to lace up new rims for both ends. The fork may be a bit long; I'll have to look into whether it's possible to shorten the fully-extended a2c in addition to the bottom-out spacer required.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
Check out some of Monogod's previous posts on this - he used the YESS if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
7,841 Posts
Probably worth cross-posting on the SS forum. If nothing else, the e-fisticuffs that break out will be entertaining.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kosmo said:
Probably worth cross-posting on the SS forum. If nothing else, the e-fisticuffs that break out will be entertaining.
Maybe we should just convert the one you're currently using as a road bike into a SS. I know you want to try it.

·
uh, or something!
479 Posts
i always liked

the clean look of how monogod did his with the tensioner up front. i raced my superfly as a ss for 1 season by using a surly tensioning upwards with a kmc 9sp. chain and a blackspire ring up front........never had a problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I converted my hard tail to SS and was almost able to do it without a tensioner. If I pulled the wheel down, halfway out of the vertical dropout, it will work.
But I did not feel real good about riding around like that, so I put a DMR STS tensioner on it. Works great, even though I have to run it pushing down.

·
T Smee
160 Posts
Just put a Rennen Rollenlager tonight, havent ridden it yet since it hasnt gotten above freezing in a couple weeks... Ive used the cheap Performance tensioner with pretty good results. Dropped the chain a couple times and it seems to have been getting some play in it, to where the jockey wheel doesnt sit perpendicular to the ground anymore. Anyway, here's the Rollenlager:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mello211 said:
the clean look of how monogod did his with the tensioner up front. i raced my superfly as a ss for 1 season by using a surly tensioning upwards with a kmc 9sp. chain and a blackspire ring up front........never had a problem.
That does look good, the Yess YTR-B tensioner. My only concern is that this is a much dirtier part of the bike than at the rear mech hanger.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I can also vouch for Monogod and the use of a YESS ETR-B.

I have an 08 GF Cobia frame (no original parts 'cept the frame) and took Monogod's advice on the YESS and I have had absolutely no problems with it. The ETR-B has a growl to it but other than that there is nothing that has affected performance. I chose it because I feel it keeps the lines clean and also stays out of the way when you need to work on the rear tire.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts